Taken aback by friends attack on NH racing

Echo Bravo

Visit site
I have known her since she was 9 so 30 years. Tonight I was telling her how my foal that I bought was doing(he's my old age ride, perfect). I left him out all day in a secure area, for the first time, went home and watched the the racing, told her how well he did, but couldn't wait for the NH racing to start as I love it, and I got a load of vitrol and when I said I enjoyed the Grand National, we ended the phone call. She sayed not sure it's true that electric rods/wire to make horse jump.Have owned horses for many years, and I have learnt you cann't make a horse do want you with force as it always backfires.But would a horse owner let their animal be put through this, I own horses because I love them, and I would hope that racehorse owners are the same.

McNally

Visit site
I work in 2 race yards and can honestly say they are the best looked after horses ever in both- true they dont get a huge amount of turn out but tbh they really dont seem bothered as they do work hard most days.
Both yards do turn out but one is as and when and the other gets about 2hrs a day as long as its not tipping down or freezing cold.

Other than this they want for nothing and are pampered and spoilt on both yards- the one i am full time at there are only 15 in so all get individual attention and i really see them all as "mine"! they are my munchkins lol.
Lots of people seem to have this idea but in my experience they couldnt be more wrong.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
I only know flat racing yards and they don't do anything like that, which one would have thought would be a natural spill over from anything nasty going on in another area. Plus, if it were a practice, the papers, etc., would have got hold of it by now.

Echo Bravo

Visit site
I told her would the owners put up with the abuse of their horses and she said yes, as they want results, as they pay out a lot of money, but surely they are in it for the fun of owning a horse and seeing it race come win or lose, or am I dipstick:(:(:(

BonneMaman

Visit site
OP tell your friend that her comments are complete load of tosh. Yes, they are looked after like royalty .... when they are young and winning ...

I love NH racing, am a MAJOR fan of the Grand National - its like a kind of worship for me the day it runs each year. I have to watch the whole thing, preview, old stories, the race itself and the detailed slowmo afterwards.

However, I am seriously not impressed by the wastage in the form of ex racers and the lack of time and money invested in their future post-racing. I believe that all racehorse owners, breeders and trainers should be forced/strongly encouraged to financially support the retraining of racehorses industry.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
None of the ones I know would put up with harming the horses like that.

They like to say they have a racehorse and to watch it run. They're competitive, but if a horse doesn't win they won't cause the horse pain, even if it would come with a guaranteed outcome, which I can't imagine it would, they'll buy another.

Merry Crisis

Visit site
EB why are you even listening to such rubbish. I thought you were old enough to stand by your own thoughts on a subject that you have some understanding about. You are sounding like a teenager!!!

team barney

Visit site
I have heard from a very reliably source that the use of electric spurs in showjumping isn't exactly unheard of but I've never heard mention of electric whips in any discipline before, I can't even work out how they could work?

Dobiegirl

Visit site
People will believe what they want to believe, can you not educate your friend, racing is very transparent and anyone caught is dealt with very harshly, sometimes being warned off for life.

I cant wait for the NH season to start proper, for me its all about the Cheltenham Festival the creme de le creme of racing and where all owners aspire to be.

Marydoll

Visit site
I have heard of electric whips, based on the zapper things that kill flies, as to whether they actually exist, i have no clue.:confused:
I'd imagine if they do exist and you used one, you would be likely to be launched, and bloody deservedly.
Not a fan of the GN but i do like the other NH races, and these jump jockeys are skilled and have balls of steel :D

Foxhunter49

Visit site
I can assure you that about 95% of owners have little clue as to what goes on when horses are in training! Not because they are not interested in their animals but because unless you work in a yard then you just cannot know.

As for using prods to get a horse to jump I would think that if a horse was given a shock to jump a fence, next fence he would say, "Nope, that bites, not going near it!'

I would think that a lot of her 'facts' she has got from America where racing does have a lot to be desired.

Little Squirrel

Visit site
I can assure you that about 95% of owners have little clue as to what goes on when horses are in training! Not because they are not interested in their animals but because unless you work in a yard then you just cannot know.

As for using prods to get a horse to jump I would think that if a horse was given a shock to jump a fence, next fence he would say, "Nope, that bites, not going near it!'

I would think that a lot of her 'facts' she has got from America where racing does have a lot to be desired.

^^^ Completley agree with the above. Electric prods or whips to get a horse to jump, never heard so much rubbish in all my days.

You should explain to your friend that it's the lads and lasses who school these horses that risk their lives, especially on something that has as much interest as leaving the ground as I would in getting in a plane with one wing. It perserverance, dedication and balls that eventually get the bad ones to not only be able to jump but also confident and enjoying it. 99% of them learn to love jumping... even the not so scopey ones. There is nothing more satisfying than riding a horse that a month or so before didnt have a clue and it starts to tow you down to a fence and is confident enough in both it's own ability and yours to come up for you and wing it.
By using any force a horse would be clever enough not to go near a fence let alone carry you into one, which is what you want from a racehorse. Confidence in jumping will win races not backing off fences.