taking 4 yr old XC schooling tommoro..

sherwood'

Visit site
For the first time! Anyone have any tips? we are going along with another horse for leads etc. he has SJ alot this yr but would be of the spooky type! Looking forward to it tho!

KatB

Visit site
Lol!! You'll be fine! Baby schooling is great fun. Just keep them small until they get confident, and then keep them flowing. Let us know how you get on!
smile.gif

SillyMare

Visit site
Most important thing is that he has a brilliant time and finishes before he gets too tired feeling as though he could take on the world.

If all you do is follow the other horse then that is fine - plenty of time for him to take the lead himself when he is feeling brave.

Don't get tempted into pushing your luck or working him for too long - however well he is going.

Avoid a fight at all costs - he won't remember who won, only the fact that there was a fight. Try to keep everything positive.

Decide at the beginning what is the maximum time you want to work and what you want to achieve - if he does it all in 15 mins then call it a day. If you have used up your maximum time and only done half the things you wanted to do then there is always another day.

Make sure you end on a good note.

Edited to add - have fun, baby XC schooling is great!

cosmo_sam

www.cosmohorse.com
I've recently took George for his 2nd time XC schooling (his first time was with my husband)

I'll put some pics in the pic forum for you to see our exploits
laugh.gif

Please excuse my damn awful facials!!!!!
blush.gif

sherwood'

Visit site
Thanks! Building up his confidence is the real aim to try and get him to take me down to fences and really enjoy himself! Will keep it easy for him and not ask too much of him- its good as the other horse is very experienced and have a helper on the ground too!

MagicMelon

Visit site
Just take it easy and keep it fun! Dont do too much, ie. dont try to aim for anything your NOT confident he'll jump or it'll end in a battle which is NOT what you want! First time out XC for my boys - I always go for the small fences (max 2'6ish) so if they DID stop at it, Id make them do it from a stand still. I try very hard to NOT ever let them learn how to refuse and find this is the best way.

Just enjoy it! And trot into things he's unsure of, especially little drops and water etc.

sherwood'

Visit site
He was a great boy- we had another horse who gave us leads into the first few and he was very confident with the other horse infront and then i took him round on his own and he was still keen but not jsut so cocky!

He was great tho and jumped drops and steps and ditches first tiem no prob! So relieved as he cam eoff the box like a stallion and i thought oh no! Thanks everyone for your help!

R

Fiona

Visit site
Glad you had fun??
Where did you go (I'm terrribly nosey aren't I). Flora has been XC schooling to Danescroft and to Millbridge which were both good for first timers, but Tullymurry would be good too exp new water. K9wendy went to a new course near Newcastle which she said was v good as well.
What about hunting - we had another great day today, and only about 10 out which would have been great for a young horse.

Fiona

sherwood'

Visit site
yea he surprised me how hoenst he has certinaly not been an easy 4 yr old to get going! Maybe i ahve found something he enjoys now! LOL