TAKING HORSES ABROAD

soapybubbles

New User
Visit site
hi my friend has brought her horse over to england from the states and they said it cost about £600-£1000 depending who you use etc and that was to get her horse right from its home into america to its new home england. i'm afraid i can't tell you anymore sorry
xx

nelson

www.stableads.com
Best way is to arrange it through a shipping agent, as they get the best freight prices and make sure that you have the correct health papers etc. They also have agents at ports and airports in case of customs problems.
Last time we sent horses to the states there were blood tests to do as well, and they had to spend 3 days in quarantine, could be longer if it is a permanent import.

If you do it yourself and miss something the horse can be quarantine for ages which costs a fortune.

Speak to a few agents, they are in H&H, they are all very helpful.

Good luck with it

Chuckie

New User
Visit site
The horse I have on loan was due to go to New Zealand but when they found out how much it cost they decided against it. Apparently it's cheaper to bring horses into the UK than to take them out!

When we went to Ireland with BD we used a bloodstock agent called Shelly Ashman. Very helpful, very competative prices and nothing was too much trouble.

Their website is: www.shelleyashman.co.uk

greasedweasel

www.chamfronstud.com
Was recently looking at bringing a youngster from the states to the U.K and had been told it was possible for 3K, in reality I think it was going to be nearer 5K. If you could find out more from your friend I would appreciate it. Suspect it is slightly cheeper going the other way though!

soapybubbles

New User
Visit site
i'll try my best wont be until monday though! if someone reminds me that'll be great! (i only have the internet at work!)
grin.gif

Tia

Visit site
It depends whether you are taking a gelding or a mare as to how long they will be in quarantine for. A gelding usually takes 3-4 days to clear and a mare takes minimum of 15 days.

I used Peden Bloodstock from Hartley Wintney and they were absolutely excellent! Once our pony landed in NY the company who took over responsibility for her was Mersant International based in NY and Kentucky - they too were just wonderful.

Our pony did her quarantine at Cornell University in upstate NY and they were equally as fantastic as the other two companies, they called my every day to let me know how she was.

Land shipping to Canada was done by International Transport - once again absolutely excellent service. They called me after they collected her from Cornell, before crossing the Border, after crossing the Border and arrived on schedule.

You could do it yourself but it is much more complicated than taking small pets, which I did do myself. You would have to employ a vet and groom to fly with the horse, and airlines are not keen on owners flying with the horse because of emotional ties.

The full cost of door to door service was £6,000. Hope this helps.

Tia

Visit site
I had a quote for a return flight for my pony, just incase we ever had to return to England and the price was $12,000 cdn, so approx £5,000. This is a relatively recent quote as of November last year and this was for door to door service, all inclusive. I contacted a few companies over here for quotes and they all gave me the same price.

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
I brought my horse to Argentina. Agree with Tiaribbon that it is very complicated to do yourself, and much better to let a shipping company do the legwork for you. My mare spent 8 weeks in quarantine (and a further 3 in Argentina- don't know what rules are for US) but she was able to do them at my yard, as it was isolated, and all horses were mine and stayed put.

RachelB

Visit site
When I went to a Lucinda Green clinic in July one of the riders was moving to Sweden or somewhere, and she asked Lucinda which company she would reccommend. I can only remember one - Pedens. She said they provide a very good service, and from their website, www.peden-bloodstock.de they say they flew most of the horses out to the Atlanta Olympics.
Must be good?!
Good luck finding someone!