Taking off grazing muzzles

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
Elle I think the question should be why small pony has a muzzle on in the first place.

As an example/comparison the mini on the yard wears hers all year round because she is a prone to being a fatty, is a laminitis risk but also colics easily and has had surgery so is in at night with ad lib soaked hay. DP on the other hand wears one because he has EMS and suffers spikes in insulin when sugar and heat are combined but has never had laminitis and has never shown any sign of getting it. I know once it gets colder at night even if the grass is growing it has no effect on him but come April he is high maintenance all the way through to October.

Boulty

Visit site
In my case the answer to this question was "when the pony has utterly destroyed it about a month ago" ? In a world where that didn't happen I'd probably be thinking right about nowish as our grass does seem to be slowing down & a few of his fieldmates may even have lost a little weight (they've certainly stopped looking fatter anyway). If you've got rested fresh grazing then would leave it until it's been eaten down a bit. (We haven't this year which given the prevelance of ergot this year is possibly not too bad a thing)

ElleSkywalker

As excited as Kitty about to be a bridesmaid
Visit site
LL she has it on as has had lami in the past and EMS. She's done exceptionally well this year out for 4/5 hours muzzle free on mudcontrol mats (but did nibble some bits under fence) and 9 hours on mini track with muzzle overnight. She's now out for 14 hours overnight muzzled on 2.7 acres of well grazed down grass with Cob and Shetland buddies. The other two and her are all not hungry at the min as they all leave a fair amount of their day time hay rations. None of the three are greedy at all ☺️

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
In that case I would leave it on. If they are all managing well, not dropping weight and leaving food they aren’t hungry and as you know it’s harder to reverse laminitis once they get it than to prevent it in the first place. If at all worried they aren’t getting enough which is always a concern with EMS as restricting them causes spikes in insulin you can always put their left over day rations out at night for them to snack on.

vam

Visit site
Mine is out on standing hay muzzled, she will stay with it on for the foreseeable. She has EMS and not in work but is actually a really nice weight so i dont plan on changing anything soon. Plus the muzzle means the grass will last her longer into winter and she will have hay out when needed, if I do take it off she will have it back on as soon as the grass starts to rise.

MissTyc

Visit site
Took off my mare's and her response was to disappear over the hill for 2 weeks. Had to track her down just to check on her!
My cob is still wearing his 24/7 with no supplementary feeding and still in their summer field!

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
They can eat hay through dinkies too-atm though one is in a best friend (small round hole) and the other in a kind of breath easy rip off (oblong hole). They can even eat from hay nets wearing one but I tend to put hay on the floor. Never underestimate the ability of an Exmoor or a fell pony to eat ! I don’t use dinkies anymore because they just don’t suit a natives head ime.

awelshandawarmblood

Visit site
Think it totally depends on your grass etc really. My Sec D I don't muzzle but is on really really restricted grazing all spring summer either on a track or strip grazing. He's now out in a huge field with just one other BUT the sheep have only just come off it & it has nothing in it - he's been on it a full week now & hasn't put anymore weight on. I think if I was still at my previous yard he'd have still be tracked!

ElleSkywalker

As excited as Kitty about to be a bridesmaid
Visit site
I've put a bit of hay out tonight and the other two are tucking in but muzzled Shetland is more interested in the grass. Think I'll leave it on a bit longer, not sure if I take it off she'd be more likely to eat the hay or snarf loads of grass down ???‍♀️

Leam_Carrie

Visit site
I've put a bit of hay out tonight and the other two are tucking in but muzzled Shetland is more interested in the grass. Think I'll leave it on a bit longer, not sure if I take it off she'd be more likely to eat the hay or snarf loads of grass down ???‍♀️

My mini Shetland is still in his dinky muzzle as the grass is still growing. He can eat hay fine through it if he wants. He has it off at night when they are shut in with hay but will have a hay snack during the day.