Taking on a 5 year old TB with slight pedal bone damage

Polo Ponies

Visit site
I am considering taking on a 5 year old Irish TB mare with slight pedal bone damage due to cracks in her feet not being cared for and infection setting in quite badly. She would only be a light hack/companion eventually which the vet says she should be fine for. Does anyone else have a horse or pony with slight pedal bone damage and if so have you come across any particular issues or problems with soundness, shoeing etc

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Do you have photos of her hooves? Have you seen x rays of the damage to the pedal bone?

If I was taking on a horse like that, I would be going for a serious barefoot rehab as IME that is the way forwards with many hoof issues, including cracks.

Jo1987

Visit site
As above, you can probably take on a sound TB for free! Having had a couple of tb's, I wouldn't take on another without any known problems, let alone one with. Lovely, sweet horses, but I wouldn't want to be responsible for one again!

Brownmare

Visit site
I had a horse with pedal bone damage at 5 due to an abscess and sand from the arena impacting in the resulting crack. There was a semicircle missing from the front of the bone on xray! He was sound after 6 weeks and never had another issue.

Many years later he got laminitis and the xrays showed no damage at all so it had healed completely :)