Taking other people's horses in trailer

starfish8

Visit site
Hi lovely forumites,

Can anyone tell me whether I need additional insurance when transporting someone else's horse in my trailer? Specifically, taking a friends horse along on trips I am already going on with my horse - school hire/lessons, competitions etc? Is this affected by whether or not said friend contributes to petrol costs for the journey?

The trailer itself is insured, I would only be travelling with friends who have their horses insured and I am not doing this for financial gain - just nice to have company for going out and about.

I will call my trailer insurer to see what they say, but some indication before I sit on the phone for ages would be great :)

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I wonder how it would work if the friend puts fuel in the vehicle and pays for it themselves as opposed to giving cash as a contribution for fuel?

Kat

Visit site
Normally it is fine providing the friend is only paying a contribution to costs rather than it being a commercial transaction for profit.

starfish8

Visit site
Finally got round to speaking to the insurers - they advised even if other horse owner contributes to petrol money I'm not covered! Glad I checked now!

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Finally got round to speaking to the insurers - they advised even if other horse owner contributes to petrol money I'm not covered! Glad I checked now!

I suppose it depends which insures you have, mine said a year ago as long as the other party put the fuel in and pay then it is not seen as an issue. I may call them tomorrow to see if that info has changed.