Taking the P...literally

Bellasophia

Visit site
In Italy we dog walkers are often amazed at the lengths the community vigili go to to increase their funds. especially in the city you will be fined if your dog goes off lead in a city park,leads for the sidewalks have to be 1.20 m or less.You have to pick up poo( I agree with this) but can be fined if you are not carrying at least 3 poo bags per dog.On one occasion I have been summoned to cross a busy main road with my two st poodles ,by a police car so they could count the number of poo bags I was carrying.Luckily I always carry a roll of small freezer bags in my bum bag...You also have to carry on your person a soft muzzle for each dog or you will be fined.
....the latest law to come into effect this month has me staggered...in some regions you now have to carry a water bottle to throw on each and every wee your dog does in the city street...if you are seen to allow dog to pee and not clean it the fines can be as high as 500 euros. WOW.Literally taking the P or what?

Last edited:

Bellasophia

Visit site
And worse...they even have plain clothes people employed to pounce on the unsuspecting.Ive seen even tiny yorkies off lead and they are fined for that,then owner is fined again as they don't have a muzzle with them,then fined again for not carrying the dogs documents with the microchip number on...now this.Im annoyed to think I may have to carry a water bottle with me on my city walks,as well as all the usual things .

Aru

Visit site
What a waste of water! You will need a dog walking bag so carry all that stuff by the sounds of things!

Then again...is this why dogs on the continent seem to be so much better behaved in public? strict law enforment..or just a local area issue

Bellasophia

Visit site
Good point aru..dogs can go almost anywhere with us apart from the food supermarkets.The law has allowed dogs onto beaches now and even in many restaurants if there is no objection from the diners.(usually smaller dogs).
This is a new law ,so far affecting a just few districts but it's the way it's been introduced with no warning to the dog owning public that many are being fined without knowing the law exists.
The good changes in the law ( dogs allowed on beaches and in public places eg restaurants,shops etc)are an attempt to beat abandonment which sadly exists here ,pre August, when people go away to the beaches and leave dogs to their fate...up to this point you could not take a dog on the beach so some would abandon their pets rather than forsake the month at the seaside.

Kaylum

Visit site
I think some of those laws are good like the bags and actually the water. Kids play in the street and on a warm day you can quite often smell where dogs have been. Is it OK to let your dog wee everywhere?