Taking your horse on holiday

Irishcobs

Visit site
I've been thinking for a while how lovely it would be to do a horse trekking holiday but I would love to take my own horse.
I especially like the idea of being able to hack from one place to the next, staying at B+Bs with the horses in a paddock/stable. But I'm not sure if this can be done with your own horse.
Has anyone taking their horse on holiday and if so what did you do and where did you go?
I would want to stay in the South West or Wales because of the travelling/driving if anyone knows of a place that does this?

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I've been thinking for a while how lovely it would be to do a horse trekking holiday but I would love to take my own horse.
I especially like the idea of being able to hack from one place to the next, staying at B+Bs with the horses in a paddock/stable. But I'm not sure if this can be done with your own horse.
Has anyone taking their horse on holiday and if so what did you do and where did you go?
I would want to stay in the South West or Wales because of the travelling/driving if anyone knows of a place that does this?

The only traveling we have done with our horses a few times , is down to the Newforest and to the beach. We stayed at Hackney Park bed and breakfast for horses
http://www.thenewforest.co.uk/thedms.aspx?dms=2&pid=3701307

lhotse

Visit site
I would love to do the Three Rivers Ride from Worcester down to Brecon, just finding someone else who is game!!
This website is pretty good too, they organise all the accomodation for you, and have several different trials including the Trans Cambrian (another one I have planned!!)
http://www.yourhorseadventures.co.uk/

Sugarbug

New User
Visit site
I would highly recommend 'Bank Farm Equestrian and Trekking' in picturesque Bewdley, Worcestershire.

I ride there and at the moment I am having flatwork & jumping lessons on the owners beautiful horses, I also go out hacking as they are right in the Wyre Forest.

Bank Farm is a holiday park with log cabins, static caravans and hook up for motorhomes and horse boxes. It has an outdoor swimming pool, golf putt course and the usual facilities at a holiday park (it's very quiet and peaceful)

It has the river running through it as well as Severn Valley steam railway.

The lady who owns the park (Angie) also has the equestrian centre where you can either take your own horse or ride one of hers. There is an outdoor menage, a lovely indoor stable block with a secure tack room, heated stable for clipping and after showering, a warm shower block for the horses, a kitchen and sitting room that looks on to the menage. There's plenty of grazing and a horse walker. You can do DIY or pay for Full Livery. There is a small cross country course on the grounds as well.

You can literally hack out from the yard without having to go on a single road! You can ride in the forest, valleys, along the river, fields the list goes on. You can incorporate a pub ride as the local pub has a place for your horses to be tethered.

http://www.bankfarmholidaypark.co.uk/Horse_facilities.html

sugar x

Irishcobs

Visit site
Wow lots of ideas thanks guys. I will bookmark the pages and have a good look in the new year and then start saving! My horse will love it.

dornrose

Visit site
I went to Wales recently with a friend to pick her horse up and we stayed in a lovely bed and breakfast that also had a self catering cottage, what was even better was to find out we could go back and take our horses so hopefully next summer that's what we shall be doing.