Talk about lucky!!!!!

Keira 8888

Visit site
Hi guys,

Hope you are all having a lovely Saturday.

Well, what a day I have had! I’m exhausted but in the best kind of way. This morning I woke up to the sound of hooves on my driveway - parted my curtains and it was my friend and her huge grey Henry, come to say good morning!

I then took the kids into the forest with my daughters loan pony (greediest pony in Britain) but SUCH a genuine thing. We had a picnic and trekked for miles - the kids swapping riding him every 30 mins.

I have to pinch myself when I think back to this time last year, in emotional turmoil over Prince and heartbroken to see my daughter without a rideable pony because I was an idiot and had bought unseen from Ireland.

But now!!! Here we are with a little legend of a loan pony who hacks alone past pretty much everything and I have my beautiful Prince who I can keep entertained with in hand adventures since he has kissing spines and is now 17.

So here is my quandry…… both the owners of Bolt (the 13.3 new forest pony) and Henry (the 17.1 Irish draft) need full time help over the winter and quite potentially beyond due to personal circumstances…

I am in the very lucky position of not working, so I have the time to devote to one other animal besides Prince (who will ALWAYS be my first priority)

Should I choose Bolt - the small but steady weight carrier who is dependable but likely to be outgrown by my daughter in a year or so OR the enormous Henry who we could both ride but is probably way too big for is both! He is also slow, steady and a complete confidence giver.

Hence the title of my post - how did I get this lucky!?

What would you choose? They are both 13, with excellent feet and very good doers.

But with winter coming, and considering the huge amount of time I spend with Prince, I can only choose one!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Attachments

• 9EB8B4A7-E0D1-4420-A211-DA60B85FFD3F.jpeg
    9EB8B4A7-E0D1-4420-A211-DA60B85FFD3F.jpeg
    69.1 KB · Views: 31

[153312]

Visit site
Bolt.

I think he's more suitable than something quite so big - and also new forests are ace. You will learn a lot and have tons of fun. But you don't want to risk either of you being overhorsed and losing your confidence. You really deserve to enjoy horse ownership/riding more than anything so should go with the option most likely to give you that.

Winters100

Visit site
For me it would be Bolt, but I would also discuss with the owners of Henry whether a compromise might be made - ride and take care a couple of days a week to be able to hack together with your children? Maybe there is something that might suit all parties. Whatever happens I know that the ponies or horses that get cared for by you will be very lucky!

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
Looking at Bolt, he looks fairly stocky and I seem to recall you being quite slender, and your child looks slender, so I see no reason why you can't both ride him. I was expecting something a lot smaller

I think the ability to have fun is so important. Could you still loan Henry say 2 days at the weekend when child is around to help more with Bolt, as you could ride together? His owner can then get someone for during the week?

Bolt looks wonderful from that video just mooching around eating not caring that he's loose. My Welsh D would have legged it ?

Keira 8888

Visit site
Thanks so much guys! Really appreciate your input - we have chosen Bolt now and my daughter is over the moon. I’m going to walk Prince out with him this week - and on Tuesday I’m going to do my first solo hack with Bolt! Very excited. I love Troupers suggestion (thank you Trouper) of walking Prince out while I ride Henry - that would be the dream! But my horsemanship skills are sadly lacking in this area! Something to aim for though, I love a challenge!

Quick Prince update - his barefoot journey is going so well! Farrier impressed with how much hoof he has grown lately - I swear it’s the biotin! We have been on long walks together blackberry picking which he has enjoyed. He is having a nice massage on Tuesday from a lovely local lady and I think he seems very happy and content. When I think back to this time last year, I was terrified to go in the stable with him as he was very territorial of it - now I can wander around him skipping out and filling up his water and hay and sometimes stay for quite some time giving him a good rub down and he just goes to sleep!

Will keep you all updated on our adventures with Bolt! Thanks again for being my trust worthy anchors in this crazy world of horse ownership!

Ps. Can’t wait for HH Secret Santa again!

Keira 8888

Visit site
Looking at Bolt, he looks fairly stocky and I seem to recall you being quite slender, and your child looks slender, so I see no reason why you can't both ride him. I was expecting something a lot smaller

I think the ability to have fun is so important. Could you still loan Henry say 2 days at the weekend when child is around to help more with Bolt, as you could ride together? His owner can then get someone for during the week?

This is definitely a possibility and something I would love to do! Luckily I have that precious commodity of “time” that my fellow liveries don’t have as they work full time, so I’m happy to do whatever I can over the winter to help out (and get to ride) Nothing like trapsing out at sunrise to turn out the herd - it’s like therapy to me!!!!

Bolt looks wonderful from that video just mooching around eating not caring that he's loose. My Welsh D would have legged it ?

Odyssey

Visit site
That's great, I think you made the right choice, lovely though Henry is. Good luck on Tuesday, it would be great to hear how you get on, and pics would be a bonus. I love pony pics.

Prince is such a lucky boy, to be so loved and pampered. He really landed on his hooves with you. ?

Keira 8888

Visit site
That's great, I think you made the right choice, lovely though Henry is. Good luck on Tuesday, it would be great to hear how you get on, and pics would be a bonus. I love pony pics.

Prince is such a lucky boy, to be so loved and pampered. He really landed on his hooves with you. ?

I will def post pics! Thanks so much for your support! Xxx

pistolpete

Visit site
Well I’ve had more feelings of safety on a bigger horse than a pony so one vote for Henry! I agree the pony will be fine long term though if he is genuine.

Trouper

Visit site
Quick Prince update - his barefoot journey is going so well! Farrier impressed with how much hoof he has grown lately - I swear it’s the biotin! We have been on long walks together blackberry picking which he has enjoyed. He is having a nice massage on Tuesday from a lovely local lady and I think he seems very happy and content. When I think back to this time last year, I was terrified to go in the stable with him as he was very territorial of it - now I can wander around him skipping out and filling up his water and hay and sometimes stay for quite some time giving him a good rub down and he just goes to sleep!
There is nothing more wonderful in this life than the trust of a horse.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Farrier impressed with how much hoof he has grown lately - I swear it’s the biotin

It's taking the shoes off. It happens to most horses which have their shoes taken off. It just shows how shoes stunt foot growth.

Great news about Bolt :) I like it, but who thought that was a good name for a horse ??