Talk to me about....appaloosas

[59668]

Visit site
Hi all.
Just for fun!
Just bought a 9yo appaloosa mare. Had her about a month. She's rather different to my cob!
So far she is....clever, opinionated, brave, and very clever with poles/jumps.
How have you found appys to be?!

Spottyappy

Visit site
I used to help at an Appaloosa stud, and bred my own TB mare to one of their stallions. Hence my user name, though I no longer have him.
They had pure Appaloosa, which are a breed rather than a coat pattern, and have registered breeding, often tracing back to America or the Danish Knabstrupper.
Temperment wise, like with most breeds, most were good, a few were more quirky. My homebred did really well showing, but hated jumping!

PSD

Visit site
To my mind, apaloosa is a colour, not a breed, so this question is a bit like saying 'what are liver chestnurs like'.
I have an apaloosa. He's an Irish Cob. He's a bit like an Irish Cob.

Appaloosa is a breed.

Friend of mine had one, he was a blanket spot. Absolute nut case, very high head carriage like most and just an overall idiot. Another friend also had an appy who was a bit of a crack pot, excellent jumper but very stubborn!

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
Hi all.
Just for fun!
Just bought a 9yo appaloosa mare. Had her about a month. She's rather different to my cob!
So far she is....clever, opinionated, brave, and very clever with poles/jumps.
How have you found appys to be?!

I have been involved with appaloosas since 1973. Actually I knew two 'spotties' in the late 60's and they gave me the interest in the appaloosa. They are 'different'. Your experience is very much the same as mine. They are on the whole very intelligent and do not suffer fools gladly. They don't like repetition so do not appreciate being asked to do the same thing over and over. As far as mine were concerned if they got it right why bother doing it again. Get them on side and you will have a lot of fun. They can have quite a sense of humour not always matching their owner's. Obviously a lot depends on how much appaloosa is actually in them, many are no more than coloured versions of another breed and don't always inherit all the quirks along with the colour. I bred them for many years and only lost my last in 2017.

PSD

Visit site
I hate spotteds. I do not find them pleasant to look at in the slightest. I have yet to find one with even half way decent conformation either. They generally have the whites of their eyes showing too and that really puts me off of them.

Definitely not for me.

My friend with the idiot appy - his eyes had the white showing. Human eyes I call them, very freaky!

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
Yes, of course. Rowerton Stud. Before the moved to Devon, and obviously they very sad circumstances that then followed.
They were great friends of ours, we first met them when they only had their original mare. Met in the show ring actually in the second ever BApS show back in 1978 and were friends right up the end. Very sad loss of some lovely people. They bred some great horses.

Spottyappy

Visit site
They were great friends of ours, we first met them when they only had their original mare. Met in the show ring actually in the second ever BApS show back in 1978 and were friends right up the end. Very sad loss of some lovely people. They bred some great horses.
They were, it was so sad how things went wrong.
I lost my boy, by Sundance Kid, about 8 years ago, he was only 17. Was the safest hacking horse you could wish for.

Lois Lame

Visit site
I'm not keen on how the sclera of the eyes shows, but it is a characteristic of Appaloosas (as Errin Padddywack says) along with scant mane and tail.

I think of it as a breed but I see a billion Appaloosas that have QH shapes. I figure that Appaloosa and QH (and pinto) are often liked by the Same Sort of People. I see a million Paints with QH shapes too.

Visit site
This is just one of the characteristics that goes with the breed, all should have it to some degree. I like it.

Nooo! It makes them look evil! We have a few horses at work that have the whites of their eyes showing and it's just freaky! One horse looks lovely from the near side, go to the other side and he looks like the devil incarnate! He has quite an angular head which makes his eyes pop out like they are on stalks and that makes it 10x worse!

TPO

Visit site
I'm not keen on how the sclera of the eyes shows, but it is a characteristic of Appaloosas (as Errin Padddywack says) along with scant mane and tail.

I think of it as a breed but I see a billion Appaloosas that have QH shapes. I figure that Appaloosa and QH (and pinto) are often liked by the Same Sort of People. I see a million Paints with QH shapes too.

A "proper" paint is just a QH with colour. The Paint horse shows over here tend to be mai yo western from the (very!) little I know. The uk western magazine used to cover the paint show in great detail. The name of the stud escapes me but there are cracking horses bred by Rob & Sue Painter (their surname makes me chuckle given their stud).

Appaloosa horses seems to come in all shapes and sizes. When I picture, what to me is, a "proper" one it is bigger than a QH, not as muscled and with longer legs.

I was on livery with two. One mare was extremely bolshy, rude and had no respect for people (would literally walk over the top of them). However this mare also has PSSM and I think its 1) common in the breed and 2) some studs are aware they have it but dont test so they can keep breeding.

Same person had a second mare and she was milder mannered than the first but still very opinionated and could be difficult. TBH I put a lot of that down to the owner so dont want to tar a whole breed!

That person was very involved with the stud and that's who told me about the pssm/stud thing.

There was a cracking app x out eventing (a name something like Paintbox?) and he was lovely

Oh now I think about it there is a mahoosive happy that goes to the local western club and shows. He is lovely and seems to be a total sweetheart

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
There are breed standards for Appaloosas, other horses may indeed be spotted but not necessarily Appaloosas. We have had 3, the 1st was unregistered but had every characteristic mentioned both of appearance and character, she was the Baroque shape. Then we bought a registered pure-bred from 2 very spotted parents who threw several solid coloured foals, ours was their first and in her teenage years, she roaned out. Now we have a registered p/b, she is part Welsh, a similar colour/pattern to the 1st but a Welsh shape.
The 1st loved jumping, the 2nd hated it.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
I have a soft spot for Appaloosas. The white in their eyes is a breed trait, and I've no problem with it.

My first horse was an Appy and I rode two others before that (shares). All 3 a bit different in physique.

One had raced (this was a thing, albeit a small thing, in America at one point) so was more TB like, one was a solid more sporty build, the other more of the stereotypical "QH" type since he was primarily halter bred.

All blanket Apps. I saw a PRE x Appaloosa for sale recently and he was like a thick PRE with coloring and I quite liked him. The cross worked out nicely, in his case.

They are clever, opinionated, and brave. Oh I have some entertaining stories about mine ?

palo1

Visit site
I have a fabulous 1/2 appaloosa. The other half is arab and he is one of the classiest horses I have had the pleasure to deal with. I am not especially fussed about the spots but I love the intelligence, athleticism and yes...humour!! It is slightly unfortunate I think that here in the UK the appaloosa can either be a colour or a bit more breed specific. The Foundation appaloosas and work being done to return to a more original form in the breed are really good I think. This song by Fred Small is probably highly questionable in historical accuracy terms but it does share some of what is 'special' about them as a breed.

I really, really rate my chap and would happily have another appaloosa (spots or not) if I found one with the breeding I would like. Mine actually has rather a lot of TB and obviously Arab in his breeding and I would prefer to find one of the more 'original' types if that were possible but I would avoid the heavily QH influenced lines because of the risk of PSSM and it's relatives. :( The 'retrieval' of the older/more original type using Akhal Tekes in the USA is interesting and I imagine produces some very sporty types! This is my spotty:- IMG_20190621_170925.jpgIMG_20190624_194347 (2).jpg

Btomkins

Visit site
Appaloosa is a breed and they can be solid coloured. Many other breeds can be spotted and show characteristics (white sclera, mottled skin etc), but they are not Appaloosa.

There is a huge variance in types within the breed, especially between the US and here. There are two Appaloosa breed societies in the UK - BAPS and ApHC. You’ll find the huge variance in looks also translates to their personalities.

They aren’t everyone’s cup of tea but personally I love them. I’d do careful research of which stud to buy from if I was to get another in the future, and ensure health tests have been carried out for PSSM etc as they are susceptible to certain diseases.

Mine is exceedingly intelligent, cheeky, full of personality, pretty lazy and extremely forgiving. Wouldn’t change him for the world!

D781A912-C051-40AA-B32F-0ABB71B1ADAF.jpeg

GTRJazz

Visit site
This is my Appaloosa Hackney cross Bob, rides from the seat is sharp and clever. Not keen on jumping but will if pushed, likes to climb, will know the way home better than me. Good for Le Trec type activities where he has to think. Is the field Boss despite being the smallest. Loves to Canter fields beaches Tracks sponsored rides. Can ride in allBob standing.jpg weather strong wind heavy rain. Brave in traffic nothing worries him but will spook at silly things, logs shadows changes in soil color. Happy to hack on own or in company

shortstuff99

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!
Visit site
I have a soft spot for Appaloosas. The white in their eyes is a breed trait, and I've no problem with it.

My first horse was an Appy and I rode two others before that (shares). All 3 a bit different in physique.

One had raced (this was a thing, albeit a small thing, in America at one point) so was more TB like, one was a solid more sporty build, the other more of the stereotypical "QH" type since he was primarily halter bred.

All blanket Apps. I saw a PRE x Appaloosa for sale recently and he was like a thick PRE with coloring and I quite liked him. The cross worked out nicely, in his case.

They are clever, opinionated, and brave. Oh I have some entertaining stories about mine ?
In the UK the PRE X App has it's own studbook called the Spanish Spotted Saddle Horse :)

tristar

Visit site
i had one part bred 30 yrs ago , was a character, but beautiful, and one we backed last week, another er, character, strong minded, yesterday i asked him to trot for the first time and it was humpy humpy, never had one do that before, then coming round the stables he offered to trot and off we went coming nicely back to walk, he has a reputation for being generally `cracked` by his guardian, and the first few weeks of serious handling had me exhausted after 5 minutes as he always wants to keep moving, but its better now, thank god, i would say full on pretty well covers it, but a heart of gold is in there, a lovely mover, loose jumps well, and pretty bold and forward thinking, a blanket spotty one

LeneHorse

Visit site
They were, it was so sad how things went wrong.
I lost my boy, by Sundance Kid, about 8 years ago, he was only 17. Was the safest hacking horse you could wish for.
My friend has a registered Appaloosa mare with Sundancer in her 'proper' name. Wonder if there's a connection? She is in her late 20's now but still going strong.

SibeliusMB

Visit site
Growing up, many of our school horses back home in the US were Appys (old school, not the "spotted QH" types). I remember them being incredibly kind and patient with the young or timid riders. They were always very smart and wonderful teachers. Haven't dealt with many Appys in recent years, but I will always think highly of them thanks to where I started.

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
My friend with the idiot appy - his eyes had the white showing. Human eyes I call them, very freaky!

It's apart of the breed, the eye thing.

I love them.
Opinionated, stubborn, loyal, smart, gets bored easily, loves doing stuff with their human, confident and up for anything.

Have had four over the last 15ish years and they are just the best.

However the foundation bred one's tend to be more solid temp wise than the British bred ones unless you get the right breeding.

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
I have a fabulous 1/2 appaloosa. The other half is arab and he is one of the classiest horses I have had the pleasure to deal with. I am not especially fussed about the spots but I love the intelligence, athleticism and yes...humour!! It is slightly unfortunate I think that here in the UK the appaloosa can either be a colour or a bit more breed specific. The Foundation appaloosas and work being done to return to a more original form in the breed are really good I think. This song by Fred Small is probably highly questionable in historical accuracy terms but it does share some of what is 'special' about them as a breed.

I really, really rate my chap and would happily have another appaloosa (spots or not) if I found one with the breeding I would like. Mine actually has rather a lot of TB and obviously Arab in his breeding and I would prefer to find one of the more 'original' types if that were possible but I would avoid the heavily QH influenced lines because of the risk of PSSM and it's relatives. :( The 'retrieval' of the older/more original type using Akhal Tekes in the USA is interesting and I imagine produces some very sporty types! This is my spotty:- View attachment 74102View attachment 74103

Our first appy was foundation bred from the Clearwater stud in Southampton. Mike Paskins, sadly no longer with us, bred beautiful horses.
Our ones sire was imported from America, Ulrichs Buckeroo.

He was everything you would expect from a foundation appy