Talk to me about generators

HaffiesRock

Visit site
I am moving to my own little tyard in a few weeks and will need a generator for this winter.

I have no idea about generators at all!

I need something that will run some lights (internal in the container and external for the yard) clippers, kettle, that kind of thing.

Can someone give me an idiots guide?

Thanks

turnbuckle

Visit site
You need to add up the wattage of everything you will be using at one time and make sure the genny is capable of pushing that out. Machine Mart is a good place for little gennys.

But....you will find that the little ones tend to need to run flat out, thus are noisy and thirsty. You may be better off buying a bigger used one which will potter along on the buckle - if budget allows.

Google used generators and talk to local dealers, they are usually pretty helpful.

Good news is that a decent genny will hold it's value, bad news is that thieves love them!

3OldPonies

Visit site
I can only echo the thoughts above, but do have a few things to add - from experience, two strokes are easier to start up than four. Most unless you go for an expensive electric push button starter have one of those pull clutch starters (like on lawnmowers). Four stroke engines need a bigger pull than two strokes. I've had both and whilst there's not way you could call me a wimp, I really did have trouble with the bigger four stroke engine, while I can get my new little two stroke going no problem at all.

If you're only looking to run lights, (I use energy efficient low wattage bulbs) then a two stroke will probably be fine. I run 1 halogen security light and four low wattage bulbs in bulkhead lights with mine and it's absolutely fine.

My little 'un is probably just as noisy as the big 'un, but it lives in a shed so the noise isn't really a problem.

Ibblebibble

Visit site
i had a petrol one on the farm but rarely used it ! solar lights are much cheaper to buy and don't run out of petrol at awkward times and I got a little single ring camping gas stove for the kettle. all much cheaper, quieter and easier to use than the genny and much less likely to be stolen!

WelshD

Visit site
generators are tricky as they need to have enough ventilation not to be dangerous but do make noise which can attract unwanted attention, I keep mine away from the stable under a pile of 'firewood' which is open at the back against a wire fence for ventilation which probably isn't enough protection from the elements but it still works after a couple of years

I have recently bought a couple of these which attach to old car batteries (which I got for free) to use when only bringing in or mixing feeds as they give enough basic light without the noise. If I am grooming, mucking out etc I do strike up the generator

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400766827664?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I cant add much on the above advice re quality of generators but if its likely to be pinched I would get the cheapest that's capable of doing the job, they aren't that expensive any more.

twiggy2

Visit site
you will need a powerful (and expensive) genny to run a kettle or clippers, as mentioned use rechargable/solar lights torches etc, a gas ring for kettle and invest in rechargable clippers-it will be a lot more efficient /less likely to get stolen.

you can get wind up lights/torches and radios now that are pretty good

TTK

Visit site
I would talk to you about them but it was thieved out of a locked garage last year. Big diesel genny, how they got it out without us knowing is still a mystery. You would need to weld it to ,say, something the size of a shipping container for it not to disappear. Sorry to be negative but they are a crime magnet.

HaffiesRock

Visit site
No problems on being stolen as it will be stored in the locked shipping container and brought outside for use. The lights I need to power are inside the container and under/inside the shelter so I don't think solar lights will work. They need to be able to be switched off too. OH has started to look into solar panels as that's what the current occupiers use.

Clipping isn't a big issue and I can get battery powered clippers, just wondered if it was possible to clip off a generator?

I did look at the little battery operated lights too as a cheap quick fix.

Thanks everyone.

HaffiesRock

Visit site
I would talk to you about them but it was thieved out of a locked garage last year. Big diesel genny, how they got it out without us knowing is still a mystery. You would need to weld it to ,say, something the size of a shipping container for it not to disappear. Sorry to be negative but they are a crime magnet.

It would be locked inside a 20ft shipping container. I could consider chaining it down too.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Two solar panels would power all the lights you might need if you use low energy LED's , they can be set up to charge leisure battery's via a control panel very efficient and work very well.
My generator will power clippers but not a kettle .
A outside gas powered shower would be a better choice for hot water .

HaffiesRock

Visit site
Two solar panels would power all the lights you might need if you use low energy LED's , they can be set up to charge leisure battery's via a control panel very efficient and work very well.
My generator will power clippers but not a kettle .
A outside gas powered shower would be a better choice for hot water .

I think this is what the current owners have on the yard. I know nothing about it though so would have to do some research.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
We have a 3.5kva genny, its great & can run a caravan lights, kettle, fridge, 3 pairs of tyre wamers - and only stresses when I add the hair dryer to it!

That said, I never bother using it at the yard except in very dire emergencies. Its heavy to drag out in the 1st place.
I have used it for vet to clip a leg for nerve blocking, then scan after, but you will find that unless you have a mega size genny (prob over 7kva) your vet wouldn't xray as most gennies pulse too much even when properly warmed up for the electrical equipt.

All my lights are 12v, we clip with battery clippers, I take a flask for a cuppa but have camping gas ring if I need more hot water.
Elc fences have leisure battery on, I play swapsies with the 2 yard lighting batteries when I want to charge the field one at home overnight.

I suppose its what you get used to OP :)

Suelin

Visit site
We have solar lights now from a panel. Does 10 led lights and all the light we need as well as the electric fence. We went to these people : cleversolar.co.uk very helpful people. Lights at the flick of a switch. Would NEVER EVER willingly go back to a generator again. I have Lister Liberty clippers (excellent) And for tea etc we bought a cheapo caravan for £300 with heater and two ring gas stove on it. Perfect. All we need.