Talk to me about highlands

mavandkaz

Visit site
I have always loved them as a breed, but don't really know much about them/haven't really come across them.

I am keeping an eye out for potential next horse, but not sure how suitable a highland would be.

So, tell me about your Highlands. In particular their height compared to rider height and weight ( I'm not sure if they would be too small). Also what kind of things do you get up to? I like my flat work, so ideally want something that likes to learn new things. But must also be good to hack, and just generally and all round nice person, that I can have some fun on.

Experiences please.....go!

gallopingby

Visit site
Highlands come in varying sizes from 13.2 upwards, although there’s now no lower limit, overheight ones ie over 14.2 are available if you’ve time to look. A 14.2 Highland is a BIG pony though and you shouldn’t really need a bigger one assuming the conformation is good. A registered well schooled highland won’t be cheap to buy, but could be cheap to feed? Highlands can do whatever you want ? plenty doing affiliated dressage, Trec WHP etc. They can be stubborn and need to be correctly schooled and handled initially, otherwise you may find you’ve a bolshy thug on your hands. Mine changes according to the jockey, happy to do lead rein pony club with a novice child yet successful jumping against allsorts with a competent adult. Will stand forever on the lorry as long as have food, in fact will do anything for food ?

gallopingby

Visit site
They get fat and often get sweet itch .
You definitely need to have a weight control plan .
Beautiful looking ponies
Beautiful looking ponies
Beautiful looking ponies
I don’t think they’re anymore prone to sweet itch than any other breed? Weight control yes, unless they’re in regular work or you plan ahead for the summer months.

Michen

Visit site
I have always loved them as a breed, but don't really know much about them/haven't really come across them.

I am keeping an eye out for potential next horse, but not sure how suitable a highland would be.

So, tell me about your Highlands. In particular their height compared to rider height and weight ( I'm not sure if they would be too small). Also what kind of things do you get up to? I like my flat work, so ideally want something that likes to learn new things. But must also be good to hack, and just generally and all round nice person, that I can have some fun on.

Experiences please.....go!

ha I basically grew up on a highland pony stud farm/livery in Aberdeenshire... spent a lot of time riding Patch, the stud, bareback and headcollarless in his field (sound familiar ;) ) as it was opposite the house. I adore them but would never have one!

Michen

Visit site
Because they aren't sporty enough for you?

My main concern is would be too small

Ummm yes not sporty enough for my liking, ride too pony like as obviously they would as they are ponies! Also I found they could actually be very sharp but quite thuggish with it, of course not all as with any breed and many are super (the stallion was the most gentle natured horse I’ve ever known).

How big is Belle? Definitely worth trying some and seeing how you feel?

mavandkaz

Visit site
Belle is 14.3, so providing it's towards the top end height wise, and chunky enough....
Problem is they are so rare around here, can't really just jump on one for a trial

Spotherisk

Visit site
I’ve just taken one on loan, I’m 5’4” and she is 14.2hh (been measured by owner for showing). I have no idea why that pic is upside down!

she is a bit bolshy and I have had only geldings for years so the ‘mare face’ is taking some getting used to! But I th8nk it can all be dealt with/overcome.

Attachments

• 9974068D-EB01-418A-9320-2155DA113E69.jpeg
    9974068D-EB01-418A-9320-2155DA113E69.jpeg
    129.1 KB · Views: 64
  • 5B6E7651-1315-426A-BEB2-60CF657069EA.jpeg
    5B6E7651-1315-426A-BEB2-60CF657069EA.jpeg
    635.3 KB · Views: 62

Leo Walker

Visit site
Mine is only 2 and hes the most laid back pony I have ever known and I worked with a wide variety of horses for the best part of a decade. Hes very loving and friendly, has lots of pony smarts but just doesn't let anything bother him. He is an utter dude! Hes going to make a full up 14.2hh and he's going to be a tank when he's finished growing. I've not had him long but I am a definite convert. I saw an amazing highland x PRE today and now really want one of those as well!

mavandkaz

Visit site
Mine is only 2 and hes the most laid back pony I have ever known and I worked with a wide variety of horses for the best part of a decade. Hes very loving and friendly, has lots of pony smarts but just doesn't let anything bother him. He is an utter dude! Hes going to make a full up 14.2hh and he's going to be a tank when he's finished growing. I've not had him long but I am a definite convert. I saw an amazing highland x PRE today and now really want one of those as well!

I knew someone on here had a youngster but couldn't remember who. He sounds awesome ?

Michen

Visit site
You arent going to find them too small! My cob mare is 14.1hh and very pony like, and rides small. Highlands don't. They are horse bodies on little legs

See I would totally disagree.. they ride very pony like to me..not a bad thing- they are ponies after all. Just depends what you want.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site

Oo, that would be an interesting mix. Was it nicely put together (not that I'm in the market, just interested)?

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Just a curveball, have you thought about a Dales? Many of the bigger ones do ride more like a horse, have a longer length of rein.
See you are Hants, could put you in contact with a good breeder on Surrey Hants borders. She isn't selling as far as I know but im sure you could go and look once restrictions are lifted. Again, there are very different types within the breed.

doodle

Visit site
Love them. I would love a really good quality one to show but realistically that is mega bucks so I will just dream. I backed one and she was amazing. Sensible but forward going, it felt like she had been here before as she just got everything. Forward going but she was obviously pony like. I found when I went from my 16hh tb to her there was no neck in front of me. Have ridden a few more. There are quite a lot around me and all seem to be useful allrounders.

doodle

Visit site
Actually I forgot another one I “backed”. When I was young and brace and was chucked up bareback and he went yep ok. He only got sporadic work but was always sensible and just carried on where we left off.

mavandkaz

Visit site
Just a curveball, have you thought about a Dales? Many of the bigger ones do ride more like a horse, have a longer length of rein.
See you are Hants, could put you in contact with a good breeder on Surrey Hants borders. She isn't selling as far as I know but im sure you could go and look once restrictions are lifted. Again, there are very different types within the breed.

Also like the look of the dales, but have never seen one up close, and don't think I've ever seen one for sale, well not that I can remember

Last edited:

McFluff

Visit site
I’ve known and ridden some awesome highlands. The best evented (successfully) up to 100. And he was competing successfully at medium dressage. He also did RDA. He was awesome. He was slightly overheight (14.3) but had lovely paces. He had lots of neck so you always felt secure - and I felt he was very horse like to ride. His owner was 5’8” and curvy and looked great on him.
The ones who were more difficult tended to have been spoiled by people not setting clear and consistent boundaries for them. My friend had a few to reschool. They always came good with some consistent handling.
I had a highland on my list when I was searching last year, but wanted something established. Everything I saw was in ‘show condition’ and i just wasn’t prepared to take the risk of dealing with weight related issues. If you are looking for a youngster there are some lovely examples out there.

Lintel

Visit site
Totally biased here.

They are FULL of character.
Stubborn as hell, but by god they are FABULOUS!.. and greedy!

I have a (as of next month) 13 year old gelding, have had him since he was in his terrible 2's!
I'm not competitive whatsoever so we haven't "done" anything as such, he would have turned his hoof to anything... maybe not dressage though he gets fed up with that malarkey!

We have done some XC, which he loves.. also loves the taste of the jumps!
We have won chase me Charlie's upto 1.30m!
We have done some showing.. And been marked down for being too slim.. So we didn't do that again, I like him trim!
We have hacked everywhere and anywhere, he is 100% and more in traffic.

He isn't what I would describe as a "novice" ride, if you give him an inch he will take a mile.

He isn't anything I was looking for when I bought him.. He was going to be brought on and sold. ??
Hilarious. They grab a hold of your heart and don't let go!

atropa

Visit site
I have a Highland x TB. She's 75% Highland and you would never think to look at her that there's any TB in her, until you're looking at her next to a full Highland as she is a lot less chunky. Her sire has done very well up to Medium in dressage. She's 14.1, I'm 5'4 and I think we're perfectly matched size wise.
Mine is very forward going, really doesn't like to go at any pace less than a trot, and would rather concertina her neck in and bounce on the spot than walk. When you do get her going nicely she has lovely paces and at some point I plan to take her to some dressage. Also enjoys a jump, and again at some point I will take her to do WH.
Currently we mostly concentrate on endurance and hacking. She has extremely comfortable paces, particularly her trot. When I bought her I was told she doesn't hack well alone, and indeed at the start we had many incidents where she would plant for ages or go backwards, but we have worked on this and its got better and better. She's not very spooky, but can be very anxious when left alone, leading to bolshiness where she really would walk all over you unfortunately. She also blows her brain easily, we took her to a medium sized in hand show last year and she spun, called, reared in hand, threw her head around with no regard for anyone.
She also can buck and rear under saddle....having said all this, I find her a huge amount of fun and there's something about her that made me trust her right away. There's nothing better than taking her for a gallop around the fields. I've always wanted a buzzy but safe little Highland, and she fits this bill for the most part.
I've only had her for 18 months and I don't know how much handling or exposure to the world she had in her younger years, as she definitely displays a lot of the more 'undesirable ' Highland traits. She always give me the impression she's a little bit worried about life and wondering if she can trust me or not.

Leo Walker

Visit site
Oo, that would be an interesting mix. Was it nicely put together (not that I'm in the market, just interested)?

This isn't normally my type at all, but I would love one having seen the pic! I'm now toying with the idea of breeding my own one day, or bribing the breeder of my youngster to breed me one!

94107433_10212558304151157_6972853253000134656_n.jpg

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Search Morrich Highlands on Facebook. He's pretty much selling up, there are some lovely looking horses in his herd. JFTD on here has one, she's dormant on the board but I think will respond to a pm. Someone might link her FB page which is all about highlands.

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
I rode an over height Highland a few times, years ago. He was 15hh and absolutely full of himself lol. I personally found his trot horrible but could have sat on him all day in canter ??
I have a real soft spot for native ponies but they are all too small for me :(
Leo Walker's young Highland boy is delicious though I have to say ❤❤❤

windand rain

Visit site
HPEC3.jpgHighlands are the best ponies they are biddable learn easily which can be a problem as they learn bad things as well as good. The are incredibly versatile and can be anything you wan them to be they are kind and careful with novices but then will step up and give the experienced rider the ride of their life. Some lines jump like stags my old 13.1 girl has to have an 8ft fence round her as she just pops over the fence when something is more appealing on the other side (they can be escape artists too) She has taught hundreds of kids to ride has won and been placed eventing, dressage, TREC, showjumping, working hunter, long distance, showing and of course is a super fun hack. Her daughter who is only 13hh is very fast across country jumping BE90 courses with ease. Kitten is only 2 but she is laid back and almost like a labrador puppy to handle always near and nosy easy to live with and not tantrums. I have owned all mine from babies so have never had one that was bargy, rude or greedy in fact the old girl is a fussy eaterbutercup Ash.jpg
Hazel and her baby71166313-JAC2+30th+April+2017+1433.jpg
Baby all grown up that was a huge ditch

Visit site
I love a good highland! They are 10 a penny up here and provided they have been brought up right they can do anything asked of them. They are basically big shetlands in most respects. The majority are dun (and they have a list as long as your arm of shades of dun they can be registered as...) or grey. I have only ever seen 1 bay and he was often comfused for a bad fell pony and a couple of blacks - all from the same stud. They stood out a country mile! But again outwith their breed classes most judges assumed they were fell or dales ponies.

It depends if you want an established pony or a youngster but it is probably far cheaper to buy one from Scotland and transport it down south than to buy from down there.

Dales ponies - I've never met one with a prettt head. Sorry! I like neat, petite, pretty heads!

Boulty

Visit site
I'd second dropping JFTD a message or her lot have their own FB page of their adventures if you look up Hotblooded Highlands.

I can't comment much on the riding side of things yet but I bought a 3yo from Morrich stud last October. He is everything Derry said he was (including making my life interesting!) He's bold, friendly & fairly laid back for a youngster.
Original plan was to back him this year but with current circumstances that's been put on hold. He's currently living flipping miles away as I had to move him in a hurry when he stopped staying behind electric tape (he requires the more zappy wire option or a decent solid fence)

Anyhow the plan is to do TREC on him eventually, lots of hacking & would be nice to do a bit of jumping occasionally.