Talk to me about Ifor Williams trailers...

Lyle

Visit site
Hello all! I'm from Aus and am interested in purchasing an Ifor Williams HB506 from a distributor in Australia. I'm just wanting to find out what I can about them, as I may need to make the purchase sight unseen!
Firstly, what do they tow like? Do they sit stable on the road, has anyone had them sway? Anyone towed with a smaller car I.e. Not a 4wd? I have a 2.3t towing capacity falcon ute, but would only ever tow one horse (this is a super firm rule, no exceptions)
What's the braking system like? This one makes me a little nervous, as I've only ever had electric brakes with a manual trailer override, so the brakes can be applied independently of the car (this will pull a trailer straight in an event of swaying) are these brakes easy to maintain?
How do they weather when outside? Being aluminium, and gal frame, I'd hope they'd stay looking good.
The super horse safety features are what's drawn me to these floats, and they are very good value new. I'm just a little cautious as they are the complete opposite of Aus made floats...

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Our braking systems on trailers are really old fashioned. There's nothing else available here tho. I find mine ok. I have a 511. The 506 is imo small, my biggest is 15.1 and I like the size of the 511 but for one it's probably OK. The paint is soft and easily scratched on the newer shiny models.

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
I tow one in an older style 505 and I find it perfect. I can tow two should I need to but I only have one horse so I just use the two full breast bar options. Means I can groom, plait, tack up, untack etc inside the trailer at competition and my horse has room when the weathers bad and he has to go back on for long periods.

I have had mine since 2002/3 and the floor is still sound, I've had to redo the electric hub this year and put new brakes, electric pigtail cable and brake cable on but considering all its had since I bought it was one set of breaks I think it can be justified.

IME they definitely last :)

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
OOo I didn't know about independant brakes. Interesting.

I have an older style 505. Had it almost 10 years. Useful, strong, easy to hitch alone, reliable, heavy but I can still move it on a straight road if need be. I find it very stable indeed towed on a 2l audi estate and a 3l 4x4. I tow two 15hh horses with it, no problem. This model is braked just like the 506. Ramps are still as good as they were when I bought it. I honestly can't fault the thing. Had a Bates before, much lighter but I just prefer the Ifor - it's just says "sturdy". I didn't use it for a year when I was nursing my baby and the wheels didn't jam the whole of that time.

What I like about the 506 in UK is the ramp opens on the shoulder of the road. On 505, they open out onto the road. Having said that, if you're parking on a verge, better to have a ramp on the right.