Talk to me about wide / stabilising stirrup leathers...

Fruitcake

Visit site
Fad. They will be a thing for a while and then everyone will realise being a better rider is far more effective.
I’m sure it is but some of us need as much help as possible to be a better rider. 😀
I have hypermobility and struggle a bit with leg stability so just wondered if they might be helpful...

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I am HM and I find wide footbed stirrups so helpful, I'd def be interested in trying wide stirrup leathers if I did much fast work or jumping these days.

Sorry OP I haven't any more useful info 😅 but I agree I think that anything that helps the rider is a good thing because its no fun when you're fighting against your own body.

DirectorFury

Visit site
I've got some from Henry James and like them - they do seem to have a more stabilising effect than standard leathers. However, they've stretched a stupid amount (from hole 3 to hole 7! in about 20 rides) and I'm really disappointed as they weren't cheap. I did see a post from HJ saying they were going to release an improved version so I'd maybe hang fire until they do. I've had a pair of the HJ calfskin normal leathers for ~5 years and they've not stretched an inch so I wasn't expecting these to be so bad.

If you do get some I'd recommend switching sides every single time you ride as they stretch so much :(.

Fruitcake

Visit site
I've got some from Henry James and like them - they do seem to have a more stabilising effect than standard leathers. However, they've stretched a stupid amount (from hole 3 to hole 7! in about 20 rides) and I'm really disappointed as they weren't cheap. I did see a post from HJ saying they were going to release an improved version so I'd maybe hang fire until they do. I've had a pair of the HJ calfskin normal leathers for ~5 years and they've not stretched an inch so I wasn't expecting these to be so bad.

If you do get some I'd recommend switching sides every single time you ride as they stretch so much :(.
Wow! That is a lot of stretch! I might hang fire then.

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
I've got some from Henry James and like them - they do seem to have a more stabilising effect than standard leathers. However, they've stretched a stupid amount (from hole 3 to hole 7! in about 20 rides) and I'm really disappointed as they weren't cheap.

Is it a pair of these?
https://www.henryjamessaddlery.co.u...athers/products/wide-jumping-stirrup-leathers

Described as

super soft, non-stretch, and wrapped in calfskin with a nylon webbing centre for extra strength

I'd suspect that the nylon webbing was omitted from your pair, or that it is otherwise defective, and I'd be sending it back for a full refund.