Talking of hunting firsts... I'm off cubbing on Sat, bit nervous!!!!!

LauraBR

Visit site
I've been hunting once ever (the day after the ban so a good while ago!) on my trusty JF.

As of today I'm off cubbing at the crack of dawn on Saturday! Really looking forward to it but a bit nervous- be the first time I've had my new boy out and he can be a handful in company.

Wondering whether a few of you experts might fill me in on any different rules/etiquette for cubbing as opposed to hunting?

Any words of wisdom?

And I apparently need to wear a tweed jacket- what should I wear underneath- would a cream shirt and a brown tie be ok????

RunToEarth

Visit site
Yes shirt and tie will be fine. Just tuck in and smile, hunts are always very glad of visitors and will probably go out of their way for you. Our hunt has three field masters on saturdays to ensure that you are within your depth, maybe ask if your local hunt does one, they are great to ease you in
smile.gif
Have fun
laugh.gif
x

LauraBR

Visit site
Thanks Rosiie.

YO (who is also my instructor) is hunt master, she's going so I'm sure she'll keep me right! I hope!

Don't think it will be too crazy- riding over land they have only just been allowed to use again after the owners got twitchy over the ban so best behaviour!

Clodagh

Visit site
Have a great day!
smile.gif
My 5 year old had her 4th day today, we are down to one throw-the-toys-out -the-pram session a day now!!
tongue.gif

LauraBR

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
hav a betta start to the season than me lol (cracked ribs 1st meet of the year lol)

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh!!!!!!!... feeling even more nervous now!!!!!!!!!!

Molineux

Visit site
Ahh bless you - I am sure you will be fine.
They normally have quite a few people out on a sat, I would just stay nr the back as you have not been for a while.
crazy.gif
!!!
People at the back tend to go a little slower and not jump so much - cubbing is slower that hunting anyway I always find there is more waiting around.

Have fun xxxx

parsley

Visit site
The few times I've been to qualify pointers (decades ago) it was a lot of standing about around woods, occasionally hollering at a fox - I am quite sure things have changed a lot now!
grin.gif

Hope you have a lovely day

LauraBR

Visit site
We'll be ok
confused.gif
New boy never stops- but he does put stupid massive jumps in if he isn't sure! So long as I don't get jumped out the saddle and stay on for the duration I'll be a happy girl
grin.gif

Fiona

Visit site
Best piece of advice - make sure horsie is in a bit you can stop him in, as the easiest way to have an awful day is to feel that you can't stop when you want to.
Trying to think of some do's and don'ts....don't pass the field master of course, and if you have a stop, then go towards the back of the field until you get going again.
That sounds very negative doesn't it. Didn't mean to be. Am sure horsie will be on his bestest behavior, and you will have a fab day and be a total hunting convert. People wil lbe very friendly to a new face.
Best of luck!!
Fiona

LauraBR

Visit site
Yes, been wondering about bits. Normally school him in a really mild myler that he likes BUT he can be a handful out hacking and can be very strong cantering sometimes. Doesn't help that I have probably done too much canter work in stubble fields (hit field CANTER!) and he's getting fitter...

I can manage him but definitely need something stronger for Sat just in case he turns into a lunatic. Cantered him out this evening in a bubble bit (second ring) and it didn't make much difference TBH.

Wondering whether to try him in a Pelham tomorrow evening and see if a bit of curb action helps? Haven't ridden in 2 reins for ages so not ideal but?????

He's not out of control crazy strong but you never know what he'll be like in a field of horses out cubbing!