Talks by vets - what subjects would you like to hear about?

Lucy_Ally

Visit site
Ok so our college run a series of talks given by vets to the general public and my friend organises it and she needs some inspiration!
So what topics would you like to see covered? And to what depth?

Thanks in advance
grin.gif

TGM

Visit site
Judging by comments from our customers I would say laminitis would be a good one - it is so misunderstood by many people!

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
Good idea! I went to several talks at Rossdales and they covered laminitis, tendon injuries, colic, physiotherapy (and bogus 'back people'), administering first aid (VERY good!) and how to apply bandages, etc, teeth (as in how they wear) and dental care... I'm sure there were more but I can't remember.

halo320

Visit site
personally, id like to hear about mares oestus cycles and puting your mares in foal, although thats maybe a bit of a restricted subject, esspecially if youve got a gelding! grass sickness, laminitis is something that can affect any animal so thst might b a good one. strangles and the effects of the vaccine. also, lymes disease, but its pretty rare i think. backs is a good one

GTs

Visit site
I would say the most important thing is balancing what you can take care of by yourself and when you should call a vet and why.

loopylucifer

Visit site
been to quite a few some of the best ones were:
worming
teeth (been to two one had lots of dead heads to look at if you wanted too!!)
colic
first aid
lami
strangles
barefoot and shoeing
foot disection
and many others cant rember them all.

Happy Horse

community.webshots.com
We used to do practice talks for the clients and the most popular ones were those which could appeal to all. Breeding is very specific. Popular ones were:

Teeth and dentistry
Worming and intestinal diseases - colic etc.
Foot balance, shoeing and laminitis
When to call the vet?

We would also get a guest speaker to talk i.e. the ILPH, Driving for the Disabled etc.