TALL RIDER RIDING A 14.2?

ApacheWarrior1

Visit site
Hi - is anyone else in my position of having a chunky 14.2 traditional coloured cob (typical short back low wither) where the rider is 5'6" and is leggy (my weight is 10st 6). I have been told that I am too big for the length of his back yet various saddle fitters are happy to put a 17" saddle on him.... I have just ordered a 16.5" saddle as I am worried about putting a 17" on him but not sure I will fit myself into a 16.6" saddle..... it is hard to feel a last rib so fitters have been guided by his hairline ruffle...

Julia0803

Visit site
Yes, we have a chunky 14.2 cob. We found saddle size was dependent on brand. For example he (and the saddler) are happy with him in an Ideal VSD in 17.5, but if he wore a winter/bates he would have to be in a 17.

I am 5'4.5 but my son rode him until he was 6'2ish. Thankfully he was never a showjumper or I have no idea where he'd have put his knees!! We worked with a saddler to find a saddle that fitted both of them (the 17' Isabel Werth dressage saddle he'd had before was fine for me, but terrible for my son had been the moment the previous saddler fitted it). Thankfully for dressage he just had his legs a little lower than his belly. Funnily enough he always looked huge stood next to him, but not so bad once he was on board. Pic below was when he was a good 6'2.

Attachments

• F57A9D30-9A60-467D-A69D-FF4F911BC274_1_201_a.jpeg
    F57A9D30-9A60-467D-A69D-FF4F911BC274_1_201_a.jpeg
    834.2 KB · Views: 50

ApacheWarrior1

Visit site
Yes, we have a chunky 14.2 cob. We found saddle size was dependent on brand. For example he (and the saddler) are happy with him in an Ideal VSD in 17.5, but if he wore a winter/bates he would have to be in a 17.

I am 5'4.5 but my son rode him until he was 6'2ish. Thankfully he was never a showjumper or I have no idea where he'd have put his knees!! We worked with a saddler to find a saddle that fitted both of them (the 17' Isabel Werth dressage saddle he'd had before was fine for me, but terrible for my son had been the moment the previous saddler fitted it). Thankfully for dressage he just had his legs a little lower than his belly. Funnily enough he always looked huge stood next to him, but not so bad once he was on board. Pic below was when he was a good 6'2.

Beautiful picture - look great together.

ApacheWarrior1

Visit site
Sadly son is now over 6'5 so could now longer concertina himself onboard. He now takes him for inland walks like a large dog. :) They still adore each other.
How lovely - I must have bought and sold a dozen saddles in the last year trying to find one that fits both me and my horse - I really need a 17" saddle to accommodate my legs but I worry that is too long for him, so have ordered a 16.5 in the hope I can fit into it!!

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
I'm 5'6", leggy and have a 14hh cob. He has a 17" cob saddle, so more compact for the seat size.
You really need to try the size of saddle.

Spottyappy

Visit site
We had an AH saddle made for our 14.3hh. My daughter is 6’ and I’m 5’9”. It’s way, we could get our longer legs accommodated, too. The saddle is 17.5”,but as it’s “upswept” ( I think that’s the correct terminolgy) it moves away from the back, so our bigger bums can also be accommodated.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
We had an AH saddle made for our 14.3hh. My daughter is 6’ and I’m 5’9”. It’s way, we could get our longer legs accommodated, too. The saddle is 17.5”,but as it’s “upswept” ( I think that’s the correct terminolgy) it moves away from the back, so our bigger bums can also be accommodated.

Was going to suggest upswept panel

SpeedyPony

Visit site
5'7" on a 14.1, 17" WH saddle and long stirrups, but was riding in a 16.5" GP saddle fine, again with long stirrups. I ride (too) long anyway, so couldn't say if that would be an acceptable compromise to someone that likes short stirrups!
17" is a little bit on the long side for him, but not so much as to be concerning and he's never bothered about it.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
The upswept will work on some shapes, usually a slightly curved back and/or croup high. Curved trees imo are for high withers, usually having big deep rear gussets to balance them, curved panels for shapely wide backs with low or no withers...just to complete the picture from my point of view :cool:

Trees and panels vary so much, then there's how much actual space for the rider's bum (flatter seats have more room than deeper for example) and then there's the flap design and whether it pushes you back. Then we have to look at how big your bum is, how long your femur is, what activities you need to do and how short you will need your stirrups, and the best way to accommodate all this.

Also the overall footprint has some effect, so a GP or jump may need to be a smaller seat size than a dressage, even if they're on the same tree (the range I fit uses the same basic tree shapes across most of the range). So many things to be considered. A very flat short panelled 16.5 GP may have a ton more rider room than a deep seated 17.5 dressage or minimal showing saddle.

Then there are brands that run super small, Fyldes run 1/2"-1" smaller than pretty much anything else, in how they fit horse AND rider. So often the source of "but my 14.2" takes an 18" saddle!"

rowan666

Visit site
I'm 5'5 and a bit and ride my 12.2 cob in a 15" WH cut saddle but I've got slimish thighs and no bum so can comfortably fit whereas I know a few a lot smaller in height and weight than me but have rather more "junk in the trunk" and wouldn't fit in my saddle without causing pressure points at the back so I think how your built comes into more than just height

GoldenWillow

Visit site
I've a 14.2 traditional and a 5' 9" friend has ridden him and looked fine and fitted comfortably into his 17" saddle. One thing I would say is that all 17" saddles do not have the same footprint, I've found the panels on K&M and especially Wintecs extended far further out on his back to be far too long (even if they had happened to fit him which they didn't) than his AH saddle.

Melandmary

Visit site
I'm 5ft8 and ride a chunky traditional 14.2. I am longer in the leg, short torso and I do not look too big at all. My pony is short backed and I have a 17.5 in HM pre gullet saddle on her. I prefer to ride in a dressage saddle as it gives my legs more room to stretch but the gp one is OK too. You willbe fine IMO ?