Tapeworms

Vicki1986

Visit site
Blood test has just come back on my mare, medium infestation.
Funnily enough paddock clearance/maintenance is something i'm not happy about at my yard, but still i am a bit surprised that she has a 'medium' infestation.

what does this actually mean? i know obviously high is the worst. I would have thought i'd known - she is in excellent condition and extremely fit and healthy (the far right pic in pink on my signature is very recent!)

I feel an absolute failure as a caring owner, I pay for field clearance, and a vet advised worming programme at my full livery yard, and as she's healthy had no reason to think anything was amiss. Her worm count came back clear.

I'm confused as to what has gone wrong ( i cant talk to vet whilst at work) is it ineffective worming or the lack of paddock clearance lately that is to blame? the field isn't 'that' bad but its certainly not clear. horses in the other (bigger) fields have come back clear so our yard programme cant be to blame to is it just down the paddock clearance?
sorry feel like im asking what are probably very obvious questions but i've read up and i still have questions.

what would be advisable to do now? we wormed for tapeworm about 2 weeks ago so the vet said do them in another 3 months i think. they moved onto a new field this week, should i keep her in til its cleared?

rss07

Visit site
I had a tapeworm incident a few years back. We kept blood testing after worming, must have had about 4 done in all, and they never dropped. Turned out the antibodies can remain high, even if the problem is dealt with. Chat to your vet about it perhaps? I think its quite rare what happened to mine, but if you've pramoxed/praziquantel of some sort, then they are normally ok.

Tnavas

Visit site
Tapeworms are becoming a real problem since the advent of Ivermectin based wormers - Ivomec doesn't kill Tapeworms. You need to use a wormer that contains Praziquantel. I always worm with a combination wormer so that I know I'm keeping all the parasites at bay.