TB/Connie - how much did your youngsters......

Fastasflames

Visit site
...grow ?

Having read through lots of posts I know this is a question asked a lot but anyone with a connie/tb?? My filly was a June born foal and turned 3 this summer. Going by her breeding I expected her to finish about 15.2hh but she is only 14.2-3hh at a push, not bum high either in the slightest. Anyone got any reassuring tales? I know she will bulk out into her frame more but Id definitely be too big for her as it stands as she is also so narrow.

Littlebear

Visit site
The only connie i knew from young grew at least 3 inches from age 4 to 5, looked a totally different horse in that year.

I have a 3y/o wb at the moment that i am hoping will go the same way!

Ambers Echo

Visit site
I have a Connie who grew a lot from Aged 4 -6.
I have a Connie X Tb who was 15.1 5 months ago but bigger than that now. He's 5.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Why don't you do the string test (search on here)? It's a pretty reliable way to find out how tall your horse will be when mature.

Polos Mum

Visit site
If you read you can find people that say connie's are slow growing so don't stop until they are 6-7, also draft horses, also shetlands, also dales, fell, welsh etc ................

actually if you dig into the science of growth plates no breeds are fast growing - they all grow until 6-7

How much is a different question - but plenty more to come if she's only 3.5 in both width and height

Reactions: TPO

Patterdale

Visit site
They tend to shoot up.
My 4 year old (different breed but similar) was 148 measured by the vet in winter, he’s now nearly 15.2, literally just seemed like he grew overnight.
I’m the other way though, I’d have quite liked him to stay 148 ?

FourLeafClover

Visit site
Mine is an ISH with no breeding on his passport at all, I've always said he's probably connie x TB. He's 15'3 (big withers for a small horse - rest of him is more like 15'2) and he is definitely quirky :D

Tihamandturkey

Visit site
My ISH has a white book but I know her dam was Connie & I'm pretty sure her sire was IDxTB judging by his photo.

She was 14.3 at 3 years & finished up at 15.3.

String test done at 3 was bang on ?

Bubblewrap

Visit site
My Connie x TB is 15.1. He was 15hh at 4, he's more like a traditional Connie than TB, very easy, he also looks more like a Connie just slightly finer. A lot of people have asked if he's a Connie but no one has ever asked if he was a TB!

L&M

Visit site
My connie x tb was awesome and would jump the moon, best little hunter I ever had. He was quirky, but never nasty, just had a stubborn streak.

i have a connie x cob now and he is my other 'horse of a lifetime', such a character and always on my side. But like the other he has an independent mind and likes to express his opinion! But having him form a 4yr old, can read him like a book now.

The only connie I have never got on with was a purebred - super sensitive and neurotic, with no sense of self preservation. Such a shame as was a stunning chap.

So I would only go for a x if ever wanting another connie.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I would be interested in hearing what a Connie/TB is like - sounds like a good pairing for a very.... bold rider :p

As with all breeds it often comes down to the individual temperaments and how well they are trained. After my spinal injury the two main horses I rode (and did RDA Dressage with) were an ex-racehorse and a TBxConny. Both were wonderful, safe horses with sweet, kind temperaments who forgave their rather sub-standard rider who made many mistakes.

RE size - it is worth trying the string test using the elbow to ergot method. It isn't exact but gives a good idea.

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
I would be interested in hearing what a Connie/TB is like - sounds like a good pairing for a very.... bold rider :p
I've sat on one and would have bought him in a heartbeat but he was 14hh and built more like a tb so just wasn't stocky enough to take up my leg and I just felt that little bit too big for him. I've never felt so safe at a viewing and I was pretty green back then! He was absolutely beautiful, had all the grace and elegance of a tb but the prettiest little connie face.

KittenInTheTree

Visit site
Mine is full Connemara, and last measured at 16.1hh. He's eight now, so might finally have decided to stop growing. String test elbow to ergot method when he was about three and a half predicted him reaching 16.3hh - he was only 15.1hh at that point, and some people laughed at the idea of him getting any taller.

oldie48

Visit site
We bought our conniexTB as a rising 6 year old, he'd been measured and passported at 4 at 148cm and I had him JMB measured as a 7 year old and he came in at 148cm. TBH I think so much depends on the mare and the stallion, we didn't even know if the stallion was the TB or the connie. He was super talented in all three phases and would turn his hoof to anything, a bit cheeky initially but turned out to be my daughter's pony/horse of a lifetime and took her to places she'd only dreamed of. It's just the best cross as he had the energy and refinement of the TB with the hardiness and brain of a good connie and he was the neatest little jumper. I hope yours gives you as much joy as ours did, whatever the size.

Tihamandturkey

Visit site
Mine is full Connemara, and last measured at 16.1hh. He's eight now, so might finally have decided to stop growing. String test elbow to ergot method when he was about three and a half predicted him reaching 16.3hh - he was only 15.1hh at that point, and some people laughed at the idea of him getting any taller.

My Connie x ID/TB stopped last year at 9 ?