TB direct from trainer, suggestions?

P.forpony

Visit site
I'm finally on the hunt for my new partner in crime.

I'm looking for a ottb and would much rather source direct from a trainer.

Suggestions or reccomendations from anyone who has had a horse direct from a yard in/around Newmarket, good or bad, to help me narrow down where to start, would be really appreciated.

Predominantly looking at combined/NH yards as the goal eventually will be hunting and team chasing, so if it's made it over a hurdle once or twice without tying it's legs in knots, thats a bonus!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I am not sure i would not rather school an ex flat racer to jump from scratch than try and re-school an ex hurdler or steeplechaser. I worked with hurdlers for a bit and jumping from a long, fast and flat stride while extending both forelegs was the aim when training them.

Totally agree, every flat racer I retrained took to jumping like a duck to water.

Laafet

adventuresinblackandwhite.co.uk
Stormy came from Martin Smith a dual purpose trainer in Newmarket, there are a fair few smaller dual purpose trainers in here so don't be put off! I had been keen to go to Martin as I knew he was a good trainer who cares for his horses dearly. He is very particular where his horses go when they are finished with racing.
Amy Murphy has a good deal of very nice NH horses, she always seems to have a few that are looking for homes. She's very easy to approach too.
I would recommend looking for a horse that has not run too many times or too much as a two year old. Whether they have jumped before is a bit of a matter of taste. I have never had any problem teaching flat horses to jump. Most of them tend to be young anyway so no further behind than any other sort of horse.
Older NH can be very set in their ways but for hunting/team chasing this probably wouldn't be a problem.

I'm Dun

Visit site
Mines ex flat but built much more like NH. Hes a talented jumper, naturally good form and loves it. Took very little to get him going. Much easier than training an ex NH not to plough through.

Carrottom

Visit site
I would look for a 3 year old off the flat. Ascot sales usually have a few slow ones in the late summer/autumn sales.

olop

Visit site
I would also echo the above about the flat racers over jumpers, much easier to start from scratch.

If you don’t mind travelling further I got my ex-racer from Michael Attwater in Epsom, really nice to deal with and often has horses coming out of training. He’s quite active on Facebook.

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
Mines ex NH and has been no problem to jump either sj or xc. He is lovely and bold, I just sit and point. Only issue we had when we first started was he would over jump any sj he was unsure of but now we know each other that has stopped. Good luck finding one x

Carrottom

Visit site
Tattersalls have an online auction next week, might be worth a look. They give the number of the trainer so you can phone for more details.

druid

Visit site
Try Amy Murphy - Newmarket based, dual purposes and has nice sorts available regularly. Pond House retraining are worth a look too

P.forpony

Visit site
Thanks for all the suggestions, especially about flat vs jump horses.
I'm planning on this being my go to horse for a very long time, and taking as long as it needs to get there, so actually the more I think about it, something that's never jumped isn't a disadvantage at all, more of a clean slate. ?

windand rain

Visit site
Not sure now as its a lot of years since I bought one but the ept sales used to be where the too slow/unraced were sold off in huge numbers. Some trainers will still sell cheap there is one in Market rasen that sells from a hand painted sign on the road side

Gamebird

Visit site
I'll be perfectly honest and say that if you're looking for a forever horse, then I'd probably avoid the sales. I've been involved with them quite a lot over the last couple of years, and would say that at the moment anything going for riding horse money is likely to be a bit of a lottery. I think this would be fine if you were buying a few to bring on and sell, and it wouldn't be the end of the world if one didn't work out, but if you want a horse to be 'your' horse, and keep for the forseeable, then I'd make as much of an effort as I could to buy something to suit you.

Over the last 18 months or so a lot of horses leaving training are being sold for reasonable sums (rather than being given away or sold for £500). Trainers are quite adept at spotting anything which would make a nice hack/hunter/RC horse/eventer/RoR, and putting a price on them. This is a fantastic thing, as it safeguards the future of racehorses - if a horse is worth something, then it is likely to end up in a home, with people caring for it.

Follow lots of trainers on FB. There are also groups for selling TBs etc that will help. Do a bit of homework and look at the yards which do a bit extra with their horses - hacking or polework or trips to the beach or flatwork. This is probably more likely in NH than flat yards, but not totally absent in flat yards. You will then be able to find out a lot more about the temperament and suitability of the horse than you would if it's at a yard with on-site gallops and they literally only ever go stable-walker-gallops-walker-stable and only ever leave the premises to go racing. I'm not saying that a lot of these horses don't go on to have useful second careers, but you'll have less certainty or knowledge of suitability, and it will be more of a gamble.

Definitely talk to people (like the person who rides the horse every day if poss!), and be prepared to put your hand in your pocket for a good one. Quite a lot of horses have a clause where they want them to go to a forever home, and often the racing owners want updates etc., so you will have an advantage here over someone only looking for a project. I have been involved in racing from all angles, and have had probably 15+ horses straight out of training. They have varied as much as any other type of horse in temperament and ability. But I have also worked with some in racing that I 100% wouldn't even want to be gifted as a present, and have managed to avoid a couple of near disasters by a well-timed phone call to someone who knew the horse.

Kat

Visit site
My sister's ex-racer was from Mick Easterby. She's a really lovely easy to do horse but he doesn't sell them cheap!

teddy_

Visit site
I'd recommend scanning the rehoming pages on Facebook. Equine Nox and The British and Irish Thoroughbred Agency have good reputations and won't miss-sell a horse for the sake of moving it on. Be prepared to pay a mid four figure price for an ex-racehorse that's easy to do and injury free. You're probably aware prices have increased by as much as 100% in some cases over the past 18 months. The ex-racehorse world is no exception.

As above, would discourage buying from a sales if you want to find your forever horse as there's just no way of gauging whether you and the horse will 'click' emotionally or physically.

However, on the flip side of that, if you're experienced in buying unseen / from sales, you may hit the jackpot. Swings and roundabouts :).

P.forpony

Visit site
Just a quick update,
I found a lovely boy through word of mouth on the rather extensive newmarket grapevine!

He looks a bit like a goat right now but gives me occasional glimpses of something I rather like ?
We're taking it all very quietly but I'm looking forward to our future adventures.
Screenshot_20210916-100354_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20210916-100408_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20210916-100339_Gallery.jpg

Laafet

adventuresinblackandwhite.co.uk
He looks lovely, nice to hear that you are taking your time to let him settle in. It's bit leap for them, some take it better than others. Some seem to be ok, then fall apart further down the yard. So lots of cuddles and gentle introduction into what life means now is great.