TB event stallion recommendations?

Charmin

Visit site
Following on from my how big is too big for maiden mare thread.

I am looking for a TB or similar boned stallion for my mare. She has the most fantastic temperment, is very laid back and exceptionally trainable which I just adore. Temperment is one of the most important things, I like a horse I can live with. Mare is also very clever and quick to help out, she is so honest it defies belief! She does have a stubborn streak but keep her on side and she's a sweetheart. I'm not looking for an Olympic beater, more something that is well put together and will turn it's hoof to anything as well as taking me as far up the eventing ladder as I dare go!

I did look at One More Tiger but have heard mixed reviews, saying that his progeny can be very sharp under saddle and more of a pro's ride.

How about Revolution? He looks a lovely type - can anyone vouch for temperment?

Am open to other breeds as well but due to height difference am not looking for a heavier bone than the mare as it may cause difficulties! However don't want to go too spindly. Mare is 14'2hh.

545071_10150733782421421_1565942510_n.jpg

527432_10151263080441421_1413427538_n.jpg

Thank you :)

TheMule

Visit site
Groomsbridge May I would be an ideal choice for you, he's a lovely little horse, very correct and gives them nice temperaments.

One More Tiger would be too large I'd have thought- he's 16.3 and a solid TB. I have a mare by him and she is fab, yes, she's a young TB so has her moments but she isn't sharp or a pro's ride in any way yet she is athletic and scopey.

Revolution is nice but I dont and seems to be producing the goods
I really like Washington Postman as a stamp but he doesn't sj well enough for my taste

PorkChop

Visit site
My friend has the most wonderful stallion called My Eclipse, he stands in Cornwall at Trenerth Equestrian - well worth a look.

He is compact and has the most wonderful temperament, I have had two foals by him out of two very different mares and he definitely passed his quality onto them.

eventrider23

Visit site
Without question imo the best up and coming pure TB eventing stallion has got to be Sula Blue. He has just had a fab event season finishing it off with a 2nd place in the Weston Park 2 star 3DE.

Other than him yes there is May I but I believe he has now retired from active public stud duties as of this year. One More Tiger is anything but sharp - a lovely boy who is ridden by the owner's toddler and I've certainly never heard of his progeny being sharp. Revolution is a lovely, much under used stallion who did the job himself up to Advanced. Kings Composer is also a super stamp and has a son competing at 4 star who also went to the Olympics in 2012. Also, not pure TB but almost pure is Weston Justice, who certainly more than proved himself in competition and his progeny are also now producing the goods.

sallyf

Visit site
Without question imo the best up and coming pure TB eventing stallion has got to be Sula Blue. He has just had a fab event season finishing it off with a 2nd place in the Weston Park 2 star 3DE.

Other than him yes there is May I but I believe he has now retired from active public stud duties as of this year. One More Tiger is anything but sharp - a lovely boy who is ridden by the owner's toddler and I've certainly never heard of his progeny being sharp. Revolution is a lovely, much under used stallion who did the job himself up to Advanced. Kings Composer is also a super stamp and has a son competing at 4 star who also went to the Olympics in 2012. Also, not pure TB but almost pure is Weston Justice, who certainly more than proved himself in competition and his progeny are also now producing the goods.

Eventrider is correct Groomsbridge May I is officially retired from public stud but will still be available to approved mares .
Basically if someone approaches me with a nice mare that we think will produce something nice he will allow him to be used.
He already has a few very nice mares books but we aren't actively going out looking for mares.

etaylor

Visit site
I would go for Weston Justice - competed advanced himself and had progeny at 2*. I have two by him - both good confirmation, forward thinking and good movers.

Fools Motto

Visit site
My friend has the most wonderful stallion called My Eclipse, he stands in Cornwall at Trenerth Equestrian - well worth a look.

He is compact and has the most wonderful temperament, I have had two foals by him out of two very different mares and he definitely passed his quality onto them.

Second this. My Eclipse is a wonderful horse. (I also know the owner!)

Charmin

Visit site
IMHO you have the choice of 2 stallions - Groomsbridge May I or Kings Composer!

See everyone raves about Kings Composer, what a fantastic temperment etc, but to me he just seems to be lacking a little bit of sparkle. I'm going to be honest and say all I have to go on are his stud card pictures, google images and a youtube video of him walking around and I don't know if it's because he's overweight in all of them but he just doesn't do it for me!

ihatework

Visit site
See everyone raves about Kings Composer, what a fantastic temperment etc, but to me he just seems to be lacking a little bit of sparkle. I'm going to be honest and say all I have to go on are his stud card pictures, google images and a youtube video of him walking around and I don't know if it's because he's overweight in all of them but he just doesn't do it for me!

Don't worry, not everyone raves about him. I'm in the 'no' camp. But then life would be boring if we all liked the same thing :)

OP, alternative might be an anglo, they can come up a bit smaller.
I really like the look of the stock Persiflage is throwing. Others like Daws Firebird etc might be worth investigating. I don't know their temprements and have no experience of them but that general type maybe?

I'm looking forwards to seeing what Sula Blue produces, he would be too big for your purpose OP, but it is lovely to see a stallion out there delivering the goods, too many are all talk and no action!

Clodagh

Visit site
Looking at stud card pictures, Groomsbridge May I would do nothing as he has an old back injury. For him you need to look at his offspring, they are stunning and very similar to look at. I've got one so I know!!

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Stud card pictures and in the flesh are always going to differ, especially with the older boys. I dare say Saddlers Wells didn't look too spectacular in old age, but being able to see progeny and research their achievements enables mare owners to make decisions.

I used Amorous Archie in 2010, (Too big for you OP), his stud card shows him as a younger horse and I feared he did not have the bone I was after. In the flesh he has ample bone.

Charmin

Visit site
Sula Blue is indeed a gorgeous boy, I do have a mare in mind in fact ;) However for this one think I need to keep it a little smaller!

I'm not even sure of Kings Composer is still alive, he seems to be at Dalcotes which seems to be up to date, is he viewable if so? But on the other hand that is a heck of a trek for a stallion I've half ruled out already, Weston Justice is do-able if he's still near Market Drayton.

Sportznight

Visit site

I agree - the photos of him online, the stud website, video etc do nothing for him at all! Had I not seen him myself, I wouldn't have used him. In fact, if I'd not been living in Cornwall at the time, I'm not sure I'd have made the effort to even go and see him! My 7yo by him, is really coming into his own now. Out of a WB/TB mare, we've taken it very slowly with him, for a variety of reasons, one being allowing him the time he's needed to mature. We're quietly excited about next season!

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
SN beat me to it but Kings Composer is a real dazzler in the flesh, has lots of charisma and is very correct with a lovely temperament and he seems to be passing on these qualities to his youngsters. I imagine he would be a good choice for a smaller mare.

Angela_Wise

Visit site
Kings Composer is fit and well now enjoying his time out in the field although I am sure he would prefer it if the rain would stop for a while - since being retired from ridden work he has always been turned out each winter. He is now an older boy but still full of the joys of spring all year round. When we have taken him to stallion parades we always get two differing views, those that love him as they see him play and strutt his stuff showing his natural balance and power from behind and then those that say he looks too sharp cause he leaps around - but he never invades his handlers personal space. Those that like what they see in the parade and come and meet him in person outside afterwards, cannot believe such a charasmatic stallion when loose can be such a gentleman up close. At the last stallion parade they held at Bicton BE, a photographer for the local press asked for a photo of him and particularly wanted one of a rearing stallion - would King rear out in the lorry park but the moment he was in the middle of the arena with all the spectators, he duly went vertical and the photographer got his long awaited photo.

So in a nutshell, if you come and see him at home, in the stable he will be quiet and mannerly, once out in hand for a trot up, he will bounce around, try and snatch some grass, snort and act like a stallion.

Visit site
please dont be put off Sula Blue due to his size, he has all the qualities you are asking for!! his height is purely down to his long legs without which he would be at least 2" shorter, i feel he would be perfect for the smaller mare as he is slight in build although i cant say his progeny wont inherit those long legs and add some height. please feel free to contact me if you want anymore info or you can see lots of pics/vids on his facebook page