TB is suddenly extremely nervous and spooky at everything.

Thesnowbones

Visit site
My horse is usually incredibly sound. She loves jumping, but unfortunately we had a little incident last week. She stumbled over a jump and went down onto her knees. Ever since then, she's been terrified of everything. She won't even go into the indoor school anymore, and she spooks if we go near poles that are flat on the ground. It's rather worrying, because she is usually very robust and fine. I'm hoping she's just had a little scare, but has this happened to anyone else? I managed to convince her to go into the school today after 45 mins of bribing her with treats, but she was rearing at the poles and at the doorway. Very unlike her.

Any advice would be truly appreciated. I understand that TBs are very sensitive.

Jo1987

Visit site
Could she have pulled a muscle/hurt her back etc when she stumbled and is tense because of that? Maybe get a vet/physio to check her over? I'm no expert on tb's, or mares though! Just an idea.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
The reaction seems extreme even for a very touchy tb. I'd be looking for something the other way around. Is it possible that what made her fall is what is making her scared? Perhaps check her eyesight and do some neurological tests?

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Agree with YCBM. We had a horse become spooky, and it was diagnosed to be his eyes. He had also started to trip.

Had treatment from the vet, and was fixed, no recurrence. I can't remember the actual problem, but I think it may have been an infection???

Thesnowbones

Visit site
I have actually booked the vet in now for Friday morning. She has been tripping a bit actually. I hope it's nothing serious, as she's a lovely horse. Just sensitive.

Enfys

Visit site
Glad to hear you have the vet booked.
I, like Red-1, was going to suggest eyes.
I had an arab that was diagnosed with cataracts which, in hindsight explained his behaviour. He was especially wary of narrow spaces, and poles, well, we either fell over them or over jumped them massively.

I hope the Vet finds something which you can work towards resolving. Good Luck.

Thesnowbones

Visit site
Just to let you guys know - I did call the vet and he discovered she had a tumour pressing on her optic nerve. Very upsetting time and I had to have her put to sleep as she was going blind and it was starting to affect her balance and ability to stand :(

meesha

Visit site
So very sorry, well done for getting vet and getting to bottom of it though, she was lucky to have you looking out for her x

Thesnowbones

Visit site
Thank you guys. I'm still grieving but I'm just glad we discovered it before she became terrified of absolutely everything :( the sad thing is, I'd only had her three weeks too. Previous owners have denied any responsibility too. It's the first horse I've ever had to put down and its gut-wrenching :(

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Thank you guys. I'm still grieving but I'm just glad we discovered it before she became terrified of absolutely everything :( the sad thing is, I'd only had her three weeks too. Previous owners have denied any responsibility too. It's the first horse I've ever had to put down and its gut-wrenching :(

I am so sorry, that is a dreadful thing to happen to a new owner. It is possible that the previous owners didn't know because she could get around familiar places comfortably. Did you have her vetted prior to purchase? Because if so, I think you should hold the vet to account.
You have done the best that you could for the horse, which is all that any-one could do. Please don't let this experience put you off horse-owning, you are the kind of person that all horses want as an owner.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I am really sorry to hear that. I too hope it does not put you off horse owning.

It may well be that the previous owners did not know. It seems from your first post that she was OK until she had the incident, and then she became spooky. If a tumour was there it may well be that it has only just become big enough to actually press on the optic nerve.

You did the right thing, realised there was a problem and got the vet. I am incredibly sorry there was nothing that could be done.

Brummyrat

Visit site
Im so sorry for your loss, God bless you for getting her checked and doing the right thing for the poor love. Sending massive hugs xxxx