TB's rescued from stud

Fools Motto

Visit site
in Newmarket, and taken to Hillside animal sanctuary.

Does anyone know anything about this? I find it strange that a stud in Newmarket had to have it's mares rescued due to rising costs?. Normally a dispersal sale would happen? (The sales season is approaching).

millikins

Visit site
Hillside's site says the stud was bust, owner evicted and horses due to go to slaughter following day as no one had come forward to offer them a home. Probably too short a timescale for dispersal sale.

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
I found this link: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-norfolk-45574281

Can't imagine why the bailiffs would want to send them all to slaughter, the elderly ones maybe but I would have assumed the others would have gone to auction to be sold. Also a bit surprised the bailiffs would allow them all to go to a charity rather than sell them, since presumably they are trying to recover money owed. Very odd. Maybe the bailiff company just knows nothing about horses.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
It does seem a bit strange that the horses worth money were not sold, they don't look in great condition in the pictures so maybe they decided slaughter was the only way to dispose of them:(

Fools Motto

Visit site
Newmarket being thoroughbred central, i would have thought many would have stepped in to help and re-home the mares, especially those in foal/with foal.
Normally shared facebook funding pages would be set up and the such news would have travelled fast. It does all seems a bit odd!

honetpot

Visit site
I doubt if they were worth anything, if the had good racing breeding, or covered by a in form stallion perhaps possibly would be worth something. The bailiff would have had the cost of keeping them or having them PTS, the Jockey Club do reduced rates to trainers.
I just hope Hillside know that these will cost more than a little fat cob to keep over the winter and maybe not so easy to handle.

bonny

Visit site
I doubt if they were worth anything, if the had good racing breeding, or covered by a in form stallion perhaps possibly would be worth something. The bailiff would have had the cost of keeping them or having them PTS, the Jockey Club do reduced rates to trainers.
I just hope Hillside know that these will cost more than a little fat cob to keep over the winter and maybe not so easy to handle.
As they seem to have 2000 horses I’m sure they know the difference between a cob and a tb !

honetpot

Visit site
That's the worry if they have 2000 horses, they do not employ a huge number of staff or seem to have many buildings. Most seem to live out.
The Donkey Sanctuary owns that amount of donkeys but has well developed loaning practices and at least two sites.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
They have a ridiculous number of animals on minimal acreage, hence my previous comment. I wouldn't be sure about them about anything.

Visit site
"A the sanctuary said it will cost £3000 a year to look after each horse"

They clearly don't know thoroughbreds then!

Also one of the mares in the picture of the 2 - Maidment - is 27yo, I suspect the other mare is of a like age.

The picture of the others didn't look so bad. I suspect the bbc used the worse pic they could find.

The last foal out of Maidment was born at the Brick Kiln stud but that's not in Newmarket.

Last edited:

Littlefloof

Visit site
This has been the subject of a considerable fundraising push by Hillside, at least going by the East Anglian FB horse groups. Ho hum.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Of course it has, they started their touting for hay funds weeks ago, they wouldn't miss and opportunity like this!

I feel pretty sad for the oldies TBH they don't deserve hillside.

deb_l222

Visit site
"Fortunately this is a happy ending for these horses,"

yeah right :rolleyes3:
Hillside love a good story.

When I clocked this on faceplant, the cynic in me did wonder if it was pure fabrication just to raise more money. It very much smacked of the “50 TB horses to be PTS tomorrow if no-one rings this premium rate number” scam!!

It got a lot of people donating so I do hope it is real.

Mariposa

Visit site
There was a plea going round on facebook about this stud, have to admit I thought it was just spam as you see so many of these appeals. Apparently there was a stallion there too - Quatre Saisons, I don't know if he was rehomed too?

Visit site
There was a plea going round on facebook about this stud, have to admit I thought it was just spam as you see so many of these appeals. Apparently there was a stallion there too - Quatre Saisons, I don't know if he was rehomed too?

I doubt another stud would have taken him on. He only has 2 progeny that have raced and both were guff. He went to Blandford Stud in 2009. So goodness knows what he has been doing in the last 9 years! But he hasn't been covering mares. He was bought for their exclusive use.

touchstone

Visit site
There are some awful stories of neglect by Hillside, and animals that appeals are put out for and are then mysteriously never seen again. There is currently a petition running to ask for a thorough investigatgion of the place from stories of neglect and animals buried on the site. A quick search should bring up plenty of examples.

It's a good example of why rescues need to be licensed I think. I'd rather my horse faced a bullet than a long drawn out death and suffering from neglect. If they haven't got sufficient hay for their current stock how the heck do they intend to feed another load of tb's?
I'm afraid I wouldn't be donating.

dominobrown

Visit site
This is weird.
Also saw it on facebook, horses desperatly looking for homes.
I offered homes, and messaged the lady asking for details as they were lookimg for help asap, messaged me back once then just ignored me.

southerncomfort

Visit site
This is weird.
Also saw it on facebook, horses desperatly looking for homes.
I offered homes, and messaged the lady asking for details as they were lookimg for help asap, messaged me back once then just ignored me.

I don't think Hillside rehome any of their animals. They just keep collecting more and more animals without the land or funds to care for them.

Absolutely agree with the comment above about licensing rescue centres.

Visit site
Is Hillside the place with thousands of animals that doesn't offer rehoming/adoption services? The one with the straw yards? I can't remember sorry.