TB's shoes came off today :-)

dressagelove

Visit site
Im veryyyy excited. My farrier is not! He has been trying to warm me off doing it all week, he keeps going on about how tb's dont grow enough hoof to stay sound...? Which is wrong yes? I think he just worried about losing the cash from a set of shoes

Anyway I was determined and he has taken them off, told him not to par the sole and do a bare minimum trim which he did, and so far tb looks very happy. He had a walk round on the concrete and the arena and looked quite happy. Im very excited to see how he goes now!

Will post some pics later on, in a week or so, hopefully everything goes okay!
What should I expect this week? Is he likely to go a bit foot sore at first?

loverly

Visit site
Mine had his parred so slightly different to your horse when he had his shoes removed. He was fine to start off with but then went footsore and very unhappy when walking, even on soft ground.

Its been 3-4 weeks now and he is starting to feel happier with his hooves.

Clava

Visit site
My TB is happy barefoot, especially in the winter:), in the Spring we sometimes struggle a little with the grass making her footie but boots see us over that period.

frankie8

Visit site
How exciting :) I'd expect them to not look very pretty at first as they'll probably chip away quite a bit where those nail holes are but that's just cosmetics. Hard to say whether he'll be sore. Depends what you'll be doing with him. Mine went a little tender a couple of weeks in so I cut back the work untill we got boots, she's now as right as rain. Good luck!

TigerTail

Visit site
woohoo well done you OP :D and for staying strong in the face of your farriers ignorance!

Of course tbs grow hooves :rolleyes:

you should be better off than Loverly as you managed to stop him paring the sole and making him sensitive to begin with.

What are your plans now?

dressagelove

Visit site
woohoo well done you OP :D and for staying strong in the face of your farriers ignorance!

Of course tbs grow hooves :rolleyes:

you should be better off than Loverly as you managed to stop him paring the sole and making him sensitive to begin with.

What are your plans now?

Well it's all down to you lot really, by seeing how convinced everyone is with barefoot, that made me go for it, even though he was trying to put me off! you should congratulate yourselves that your persistence is paying off on some HHOers! lol

I am hoping to get him dressaging so he should be sticking to the arena mostly anyway, with hacking if and when he can do it.
We have a strange set up, our stables open straight onto our arena; the arena isn't fenced and on one side of the arena is loose stone, and on the other is concrete, so at the moment he has his stable door tied back, so he can mooch about on the arena / stable / stone & concrete, which im hoping will be good for his feet? No proper turn out at the moment, fields are practically under water!

TigerTail

Visit site
Fabulous set up :D Lots of different surfaces for his tootsies to stimulate the growth. One of my tbs feet need doing every 4-5 weeks (so much for them not growing huh) the other and my qhx go 8 weeks cos theyre so well shaped and self looking after :D

Sand schools are great for exfoliating their soles and packing up into the crevices for more stimulation. Obviously go easy for a few weeks til you see how he's going to go.

Welcome to the dark side *waggles eyebrows*:D

wellsat

Visit site
*Like*

I'm hpoing that G's shoes will come off on Monday, its exciting isn't it!

Have you looked at diet to help your horse grow lovely strong hooves? I've been recommended micronised linseed and Mag Ox although too soon to say if they are making a difference.

dressagelove

Visit site
*Like*

I'm hpoing that G's shoes will come off on Monday, its exciting isn't it!

Have you looked at diet to help your horse grow lovely strong hooves? I've been recommended micronised linseed and Mag Ox although too soon to say if they are making a difference.

Ooh good luck!!

Yes, after advice on here, I changed it a month ago before I took them off. He is on fast fibre, brewers yeast, mag ox and formula for feet. Looking okay at the mo! Id like to try micronised linseed, but I cant get hold of it local and not got organised enough to order it yet, lol :D

Andalucian

Visit site
You may find that he "feels" his feet in a day or so, and will be footy for a week to 10 days. Just keep him comfortable and lay off exercise until he comes through this period. That way you'll avoid him being more sore than he needs to be.

Good luck.

cptrayes

Visit site
oooooh you didn't wanna do that! He'll wear his feet to bloody stumps in no time :eek:.

Nah, just kidding, well done, of course TBs grow foot - it'll grow like billyo now the shoes are off. Take photos, lots, because you won't believe how quick they'll change.

Nocturnal

Visit site
Good for you :D I took my tb's shoes off a few months ago - he's going from strength to strength, not a chip or crack to be seen! TBs can grow just as good feet as any other horse, given half a chance ;)

pinklilly

Visit site
I wish mine would grow some better feet! Been keeping an eye on these barefoot threads for advice on feeding but getting a bit confused .... Not that that takes much doing !

TigerTail

Visit site
Whats confusing you? Is yours barefoot or shod? what sort of workload does he have and is he stabled a lot or out etc? See if we can help :D

drift91

Visit site
Well Done :) so great that you were so determined, when people were trying to put you off, most of us have been there! Sounds like your place is awesome for it as well!

Holly Hocks

Visit site
My TB mare had her shoes off about 9 weeks ago. Unfortunately because our fields are bogging she is still very footsore.....she actually walks out better when she has been in her stable and her feet have dried off. I've been doing all the feed as per everyone's advice and her feet haven't cracked in the slightest, but she is still not happy. It doesn't matter as she is off work, and I think when the ground dries up I will see an improvement. Even the arab on the yard with solid rockcrunching feet is starting to feel the stones as is my young NF X filly......I wish it would stop raining! The joys of the bloody Lake District!

cptrayes

Visit site
My TB mare had her shoes off about 9 weeks ago. Unfortunately because our fields are bogging she is still very footsore.....she actually walks out better when she has been in her stable and her feet have dried off. I've been doing all the feed as per everyone's advice and her feet haven't cracked in the slightest, but she is still not happy. It doesn't matter as she is off work, and I think when the ground dries up I will see an improvement. Even the arab on the yard with solid rockcrunching feet is starting to feel the stones as is my young NF X filly......I wish it would stop raining! The joys of the bloody Lake District!

I have been told that Keratex hoof gel works well in this situation. Not the stuff with formaldehyde in, that's a ghastly chemical, but there is a gel which will waterproof the feet if you can get them bone dry before you put it on.

Anyone else have any solutions? I am so grateful that I have "turnout" in a barn overnight to get my boys' feet dry, because constant wet is certainly an issue but so is lack of movement.

Oberon

Visit site
A new recruit to the Barefoot Taliban
assimilation.gif

Just take it easy with your TB. Even if he feels happy, don't over do it these two weeks. They tend to feel great for the first few days and then go lame.

Some theories suggest it is the reawakening of nerves that have been numbed over time by the rigidity of the hoof while shod.

Some theories suggest it is the increase in circulation (think when you get in a hot bath/shower when you were freezing cold - it hurts when the circulation rushes back to your fingers).

Either way there is always a risk of bruising with a thin sole in the beginning so take it easy.

Your set up sounds ideal however and you did a good job with the farrier;).

Hopefully a successful transition to BF with your TB will provide your farrier with more confidence about the concept. Take lots of photos (on the same patch of ground and at the same angles) and keep hold of the shoes so you can compare decontraction of the heels over time.

TigerTail

Visit site
Anyone else have any solutions? I am so grateful that I have "turnout" in a barn overnight to get my boys' feet dry, because constant wet is certainly an issue but so is lack of movement.

I like Red Horse products Field Paste - all natural stuff, keeps everything clean and dry and im usually picking the stuff out a week later cos it sets like clay.

Mine are out 24.7 and whilst not boggy they are squelchy underfoot. Id be re examining diets I think in this case.

pinklilly

Visit site
Tigertail he's a rising 5 year old tb, been out at grass for 20 months recovering from a leg injury from his very brief spell in training ( didn't make the racecourse ). The feet are a decent shape but poor quality. I'm going to start long-reining him after the dentist has been and I have a barefoot man coming to see him as my farrier isn't being very helpful. I'm going to order some micronised linseed but what else?

TigerTail

Visit site
Pro hoof which we all get off ebay, unless you are going to go down the route of forage analysis.

Anything else depends on what he needs calorie wise - and that will alter with the micronised linseed as that puts weight on, so dont go overboard with it else youl be thinking a heffalump ate your horse overnight ! The main thing is to keep starch and sugars low as these are destructive to hooves, ie hay being better than hay, fast fibre better than sugar beet etc etc

Dont let any trimmer or farrier go too nuts, or trim too often as this can weaken the hoof walls, this is very dependent on the individual horse ie 1 in my field needs ever 4-5 week. the other two can go 12 quite happily! He needs stimulus to the hooves to make them grown but that should be little and often to begin with.

Im sure Oberon will have some more ideas :)

Oberon

Visit site
Tigertail he's a rising 5 year old tb, been out at grass for 20 months recovering from a leg injury from his very brief spell in training ( didn't make the racecourse ). The feet are a decent shape but poor quality. I'm going to start long-reining him after the dentist has been and I have a barefoot man coming to see him as my farrier isn't being very helpful. I'm going to order some micronised linseed but what else?

Be cautious with TB's - I have a pet theory that their 'typical TB feet' are a result of them being very sensitive to sugar (and often alfalfa too).

Poor hoof quality as you describe is a dietry problem.

Ignore all the bumbf the feed companies try to blind you with. Less is more with concerns feed. Keep it simple.

Your horse will get almost everything he needs from grass/hay/haylage - but (because it's all the same fields) you will have some mineral imbalance.

So feed a decent mineral supplement (one lower in iron but higher in copper and zinc).
Pro Hoof and Equimins Meta Balance are the two I recommend.

I cannot stress enough the importance of the minerals. It really is magic!

Micronised linseed provides the omega oils (the magic of Dr Green without the sugar) which is good for joints, coat health and gut health.

I'm also a big fan of Yea-Sacc. It cuts my horse's poops down to half!

In conclusion

1) Mineral supplement
2) Micronised linseed
3) Yea-Sacc
4) Something non molassed (and alfalfa free if your horse is sensitive) to mix it into (I like Fast Fibre/non molassed beet/pure hay chaff/oat chaff).

You can also add things like turmeric (joint supplement), fenugreek seeds (appetite stimulant), mint (digestion help), fennel (purifying) and a host of other herbs that are beneficial but also add taste instead of molasses - and they are cheap as chips too!

pinklilly

Visit site
Ha he doesn't need any extra calories that's for sure ... He gets haylage but got some hay coming, should I soak it? The vet said he's got the thinnest soles ever, so hoping we can improve them. The constant wet weather all summer and quagmire fields now aren't helping much.

I'm kind of old fashioned, normally shoes on when they are working and shoes off when they are roughed off. Lots of walking and roadwork to get them fit...

dressagelove

Visit site
Thanks Oberon and tiger tail for the extra comments :)

Yeah I will take it easy, will see how he goes and alter his work accordingly. Im very excited to see what happens anyhow.
Ill have a look at that pro hoof, is better to feed that than formula for feet say? and ill try and get my arse in gear to order some micronised linseed

Oberon

Visit site
Ha he doesn't need any extra calories that's for sure ... He gets haylage but got some hay coming, should I soak it? The vet said he's got the thinnest soles ever, so hoping we can improve them. The constant wet weather all summer and quagmire fields now aren't helping much.

I'm kind of old fashioned, normally shoes on when they are working and shoes off when they are roughed off. Lots of walking and roadwork to get them fit...

That sounds extremely sensible :)

Unless he is sensitive to sugar (IR or laminitic) there is no need to soak hay.

An appropriate diet will help with hoof quality and if he has 'pancake soles'.

Shoes off always thickens the soles. The stimulation of ground contact indicates to the horse that more growth is needed - so he lays more tissue down and the soles thicken and callus at the toe (the weight bearing area of the sole). This is dependant on the farrier understanding not to pare the sole or frog in a BF horse - or it will lame him.

If you wish to keep the shoes on - the diet is still helpful to provide a better quality hoof.

If you want any more information on a horse with thin soles - you can read about Zan
http://rockleyfarm.blogspot.com/#uds-search-results

amandap

Visit site
Good on you and it sounds like you've read up a bit too which is good. :)

My tb is as oberon describes... sensitive to sugars so do be prepared to tighten diet and reduce sugars further if necessary. I hope it wont be though. Don't forget a possibility of thrush especially if hooves are contracted and frog central sulcus is deep.

Best wishes for a wonderful journey of discovery.

pinklilly

Visit site
Very helpful advice. Thank you.

Going to start off barefoot and see how it goes, we've a fitness programme to go through as he's had ligament damage so we'll see what happens.

Oberon

Visit site
Put hoof boots in your budget to use in the beginning, if not longer. Perhaps experiment with diet for a shoeing cycle before pulling them to ensure the best start.