Teaching 3yo to lift feet - suggestions please

mynutmeg

Visit site
My new 3yo is very sweet and used to people but essentially been in a field and not been taught anything.
In a week we have acheived leading, tying up, coping with rugs and backing up out of my space but we're struggling a bit with getting her to pick her feet up.
She is kicking out a bit with the backs (no aiming) but is complicated by some mud fever.
The biggest problem is getting her to pick them up at all! She's an ID and 16hh, 600ish kg so a substantial girl. She just kinda plants and won't lift - you almost have to drag her legs up.
Once you get a front foot up she will allow you to hold it up to pick out but it's the lifting thats the ahrd part - obv I know this is early days in her education and we are persevering with her but am open to tips and suggestions on methods that will help with this. Her size makes her much harder than the foals I've taught.

Magnetic Sparrow

Visit site
In my experience it's much, much harder when the horse is bigger. The waving around of the foot thing is normal and will pass. My strategy is to praise/reward every time the foot comes off the ground to start with. It is a process, so you have to accept progress in the right direction and not expect to succeed properly for a while. You will get there with consistency and perseverance. If there's a simple trick I haven't found it.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
have you tried leaning into her to push her slightly over so the leg you are trying to lift isnt planted, i realise she is not a small lightweight so it may not be easy...also pick the foot up ,praise and put it straight down so she doesnt feel insecure and do this with the fronts only to start with so she gets to realise nothing bad is going to happen...if she is very sensitive with her hinds and is kicking out it might be worth touching her with something other than your hand, maybe the end of a broom handle (not the brush) or similar to get her used to being touched. good luck

FFAQ

Visit site
Another little trick to get the weight over so you can pick up a foot is to get someone to swing her head away from the foot you're picking up 😊

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
I usually start by tying a soft but strong lead rope around the fetlock, standing up and pushing the horse's weight over to the other side then lifting the foot with the rope (some will just do it straight away with the rope though); It's much safer as my face isn't in striking distance and the horse seems to understand better .
I give a treat when lifted, then repeat until the leg is being lifted by just the rope tugging once. I then lean down and use my hand and the rope together, and then just the hand. Holding the rope also helps immensely with kicking wobbly feet! As you can just hang on until they stop kicking and then treat. Of course the only risk is actually getting the rope around the leg and assuming the horse will accept it, but it's worked every time with no stress on my youngsters.

gnubee

Visit site
A lot of horses will lift the hoof if you squeeze the chestnut. My 3 y o who has seen the farrier regularly all his life recently went through a phase of leaning back onto me when I try to move his weight to pick up his feet, and using his chestnuts to cue instead has helped us navigate this blip so he is back to cooperating now.

CMcC

Visit site
A lot of horses will lift the hoof if you squeeze the chestnut. My 3 y o who has seen the farrier regularly all his life recently went through a phase of leaning back onto me when I try to move his weight to pick up his feet, and using his chestnuts to cue instead has helped us navigate this blip so he is back to cooperating now.

This.

On the front squeeze the chestnut and on the back hold the hock and squeeze.