Teaching a horse to trot up...

_jetset_

Visit site
Grace is doing really well in the school, in fact so well we are starting to think of our first unaffiliated prelim test in the New Year hopefully!

However, she does not know how to trot up and refuses point blank to do it. If you try to egg her on with anything she runs away (like she has been taught to move away through natural horsemanship) so that does not solve the problem of getting her to trot in a straight line in hand.

Any suggestions??

Rebecca x

tigers_eye

Visit site
It's difficult to teach them to do it if it's just you. Get someone else to help, have them stand behind you with something she will respect, but not be too frightened of, and take it from there!

_jetset_

Visit site
Hmmm... don't I know it
laugh.gif

Right, that can be tomorrow's task I think... find a helper!

S_N

Visit site
You need another person to help you and they need to have one or a combination of the following: Lunge whip (NOT to hit her with, but to crack), plastic bag tied to a broom, shavings fork (this is waved around behind her), a squirty bottle or water pistol, full of water (Squirt her backside and hocks and she should move off pretty smartish).

bellgave

Visit site
All of the above. All my horses have to learn to trot up in hand because they need to do it second nature in the show ring. I get some one to just shoo them along and use a tea towel as it flaps around but isnt going to make a scary noise!!!
I also teach all mine to trot out of a turn, so I walk away from the judge and as I turn around the horse I start to run and they trot, much easier for some reason than them trotting from walk in a straight line!!