Teaching a yearling welsh to trot up properly for inhand

jaffa2311

Visit site
My almost yearling understands trotting in the arena.
She goes on my voice and trots next to me.
However, the trot is very slow and half arsed. Absolute minimal effort on her part with a face like thunder, as she is having to conform to what I have asked :D

Any tips on getting her trot out properly? As in for showing?

She has a lot of nervous energy and is an adrenalin pumped pony so will probably not be trotting like that at a show anyway, however would like to teach her correctly at home.

I am considering using a lunge line, instead of a lead rope to give her room to explode. Also introducing a whip.

She moves well when she wants to. her siblings are all out winning! I have not yet been out with her for various reasons but intend to from June, when the summer coat is here.

FlyingCircus

Visit site
Following with interest.
My lad trots next to me in hand when asked but his face is also like thunder! No reason other than he doesn't like being told what to do and when!!

be positive

Visit site
I would run her alongside the school fence, so she has to stay straight, and carry a schooling whip to tickle her on and at the same time use plenty of vocal encouragement, this can be as daft as required initially anything that gets her to light up and go forward confidently, once she learns it can gradually be reduced to a click which will be fine in the show ring, you can gradually get her away from the fence line once she knows to stay with you and remain in a straight line.
The problem with using a lunge rein and allowing her to explode forward is that you still have to get her back to you at some point otherwise she will not connect you running with her and the need to trot alongside you in a straight line, if she is a nervy type she may start to swing away rather than stay with you, like anything you teach them they learn best if you keep things simple and build up slowly so they really understand what is required.

WelshD

Visit site
Initially I always trotted my boys to a target that they wanted to be at - so towards the other pony/towards the stables/towards the gate and if out walking on the roads then trotted towards home

Both trot with a lot more purpose at shows though