Teaching a young horse patience!

Brummyrat

Visit site
Evening all. Im sure this has been done before but I can't find the original thread. I wondered if anyone has any tips on teaching a young horse to stand still whilst mounted. My four year old Section D has only been started gently this year and I couldn't be more pleased with him. He hacks nicely and we have three basic paces in the school. He is still babyish at times but its manageable. However, although he'll stand at the mounting block so I can mount without assistance (a blessing I know!), but either hacking, or in the school when we've finished and I walking him round, he just won't stand still. Tonight I waited while another livery finished with her older spooky mare, she wanted someone to hold her hand, I had to dismount as he fidgeted so much, pawing the ground etc. I know its not a biggie and he's still young but does anyone have any tips so I cant start teaching him to chillax? Ive done the halt, pat and move on during a session, and he does that but it's when we're stretching in walk when he's thinking of his bed and hay that there's a problem!

Thanks in advance x

Vodkagirly

Visit site
Be consistent and patient yourself, it will come with time. Mine was the same but 6 months in he is much improved. Remember they have short attention spans at this age.

fatpiggy

Visit site
Evening all. Im sure this has been done before but I can't find the original thread. I wondered if anyone has any tips on teaching a young horse to stand still whilst mounted. My four year old Section D has only been started gently this year and I couldn't be more pleased with him. He hacks nicely and we have three basic paces in the school. He is still babyish at times but its manageable. However, although he'll stand at the mounting block so I can mount without assistance (a blessing I know!), but either hacking, or in the school when we've finished and I walking him round, he just won't stand still. Tonight I waited while another livery finished with her older spooky mare, she wanted someone to hold her hand, I had to dismount as he fidgeted so much, pawing the ground etc. I know its not a biggie and he's still young but does anyone have any tips so I cant start teaching him to chillax? Ive done the halt, pat and move on during a session, and he does that but it's when we're stretching in walk when he's thinking of his bed and hay that there's a problem!

Thanks in advance x

Ha ha, I don't think Welsh Ds do patience! But as Vodkagirly says, be consistent and if you need to scream, go around the corner and do it :)

madlady

Visit site
Asking a 4yo to have patience and stand for anything more than a couple of seconds at a time is like asking a 3yo child to sit still for half an hour :)

Be consistent, keep asking for a few seconds of halt at a time and gradually ask for longer halts - it might be easier to do from the ground as you have less chance of moving a leg slightly or doing something that he could interpret as the cue to move.