Teaching a youngster what leg means

rlhnlk

Visit site
Hi all :)

I'm currently backing my youngster, I've had her since she was 1 and she's rising 4 now, we have a fairly close bond and she is generally thrilled when she knows she's been good. She is the most laidback horse I know, nothing seems to faze her or flap her for more than 3 seconds. Her answer to anything she is worried about is to stop and stare. She's happy with a saddle, bridle and rider.

So far we started with basic in hand leading, so stop go turn back up etc as shown to me by an RA. She's got this spot on and if anything does get stressful I'll go back and do some of this because its well inside her comfort zone. We've then moved on to lunging, she knows walk and whoa. I haven't asked her to do a lot of trot because I'd rather go for less strain on her joints, but she will trot on and stay sensible about it and then stop when asked to.

We had a go at long reining, she doesn't get it if I go behind her, but she will lunge on 2 reins and has progressed to stopping, turning and walking around the arena, so almost long reining, but the thing that says go is the lunge whip not the lines.

I've had a sit on her a few times and she's been led about my my handy helper (aka my mam) and she really couldn't give a stuff.

Now my problem is that while I can teach stop and turn from the twin lines, I'm lacking a way to teach leg means go from the ground. My current plan is to have my mam send her forwards on the lunge and time it so I ask with my leg a fraction before the whip is lifted and the walk on voice command is given but I was wondering if there was an easier way?

Any ideas appreciated thanks :)

LouS

Visit site
Get her responsive on the lines first. Mine are walking, trotting and cantering confidently on two lines before I ask them to work under saddle. I flick the outside line to get them to go forwards, mine go from a click, you want them really responsive. Then when I get on I use a very slight leg aid and if no response I will use a rope behind my leg. Never resort to kicking, you'll get a numb and confused horse.

be positive

Visit site
Get her responsive on the lines first. Mine are walking, trotting and cantering confidently on two lines before I ask them to work under saddle. I flick the outside line to get them to go forwards, mine go from a click, you want them really responsive. Then when I get on I use a very slight leg aid and if no response I will use a rope behind my leg. Never resort to kicking, you'll get a numb and confused horse.

^^^This, you need to get her more forward and moving freely without her feeling that you awlays want her to stop, I dont like youngsters to learn about going back under tack too early as it can make them less confident about moving forward.

ShadowFlame

Visit site
I found the leg commands only really kicked in (no pun intended) when I started riding him out, and he's getting better and better with them the more he goes out. Providing she's responsive to voice, the leg commands should start slotting into place as you start using both commands together.