Teaching foals

Flash_28

Visit site
Hello

I have little Foaly who is now coming up 19months old. He was totally unhandled when I got him. Just need a few tips on trying to get the little bugger from totally running through everyone. He hurt my dad last night slamming him into a wall as all I was doing was to wash his feet down a little bit (He is petrified of water). If he doesn’t want something to be done to him or is scared he just runs in whatever direction his head is pointing in! Also struggling to get him tied up despite taking everything very slowly with him. Just want a few tips to see if I am going in the right direction with him.

Holly831

Visit site
Oh dear!

Patience and more patience I'm afraid!

I tend to do most 'new' stuff with youngsters on a long line and in open spaces so , for example. if I was starting to introduce the hose pipe I would have them held and then just spray the bottom or their legs, inevitably they want to runaway and the long line allows them to move around so they don't feel trapped, then I 'follow' them with the hose and as soon as they are quiet and stand I remove it. Then I repeat at regular intervals until they stand from scratch then work up their legs following the same rules, usually within a few days they realise it actaully isn't going to hurt and may still 'dance' but are no longer trying to get away.

They tend to only step away by their own body length and the long rope gives more control - ie I can turn their heads to keep then near me. Using a short rope you end up pitting your strength against theirs (which you can't win) so they soon learn they can run from what they don't like. With a long line I have so much more control :)

I hope that makes sense and it works for me and is non violent :D

Flash_28

Visit site
Oh dear!

I tend to do most 'new' stuff with youngsters on a long line and in open spaces so , for example. if I was starting to introduce the hose pipe I would have them held and then just spray the bottom or their legs, inevitably they want to runaway and the long line allows them to move around so they don't feel trapped, then I 'follow' them with the hose and as soon as they are quiet and stand I remove it. Then I repeat at regular intervals until they stand from scratch then work up their legs following the same rules, usually within a few days they realise it actaully isn't going to hurt and may still 'dance' but are no longer trying to get away.

They tend to only step away by their own body length and the long rope gives more control - ie I can turn their heads to keep then near me. Using a short rope you end up pitting your strength against theirs (which you can't win) so they soon learn they can run from what they don't like. With a long line I have so much more control :)

I hope that makes sense and it works for me and is non violent :D

Thank you for your advice. I really do appreciate it as I want to make sure that I'm doing the right thing for him.

I have just not even attempted him with the hose as he does the pointing and running at full steam. Last night it was as I was just to wash down his feet and heels with a bucket and scrubbing brush to check for mud fever. After chucking my dad into the wall he just stood there and let me finish scrubbing his feet and heels. I think I should invest in another long lein as I did have one given to me but he snapped it while attempting to tie him up.

I may have made him out to sound a little worse then he is but I do need to get him sorted asap. With the darker nights my parents will have to get the guys in as I work until 6pm. Normally I can pick out all 4 feet, groom, rug and unrug while he is untied and he will just stand there. It's just when he doesn't like something being done to him. I'm very glad of the advice though. :)

Tempi

Visit site
Get him a dually headcollar - best thing i ever did for Jupi. He went from bolshy pushy colt to nice calm well-mannered colt within a week!

Hes got a black one (the sizes are different colours) but it will also fit my mare too who is full size in bridles so that are really adjustable. I am hoping it will last him for life. They aren't cheap (around £40) but definitely money well spent, you get a DVD with it aswell which shows you how to do the training.

http://www.horseandharmony.co.uk/monty-roberts-dually-halter-880-p.asp

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
Oh dear!

I tend to do most 'new' stuff with youngsters on a long line and in open spaces so , for example.

I'd agree with the patience and more patience - but not the open spaces!

I'm fortunate to have a dedicated wash box - and first intro to hose involves the door shut, me holding youngster with one hand and the horse with the other. They can't get up enough speed to be too strong - and there's nowhere to go. Start with the hose trickling on the feet and work up - but I DON'T stop at first compliance! Hosing down is something they have to learn - and the sooner the better!

I never START by tying a youngster up. Run a long line through a tie ring on the wall and keep the end in your hand while you do things with them. Saves broken lines - or worse - if they panic at being pulled up short.

Marion Lampart

New User
Visit site
Hi..Usually leading to and from the paddock is adequate for training a foal to lead. If you plan to do extra training, keep the sessions short, ideally under 10 minutes. Avoid training more than two or three times a week. Babies that are over-trained at this stage tend to be more resistant later. They need the time to be babies.

Flash_28

Visit site
Hello

Thank you for your replies, sorry not to have replied earlier but have been bust with uni.

When I tried to tie Foaly up he had been "tied up" with the leadrope not knotted but just running through the tie up ring for a week or 2. Then when I started to knot it he just flipped out (wasn't doing anything to him scary) and snapped the leadrope. So have since gone back to just running through the tie up ring with rubber tie. Just wanted to double check I'm not scarring him for life.

Thank you to the person who suggested the Dually halter. I shall keep a look out for one, although I am a little puzzled with what size to get him as even at 19 months he is still in a foal headcollar and he shouldn't stay that size for too much longer. He still needs to grow another 3hh's yet!

I may try him with the hose again but will def wait until I have more ground manners until that. Your suggestions have helped.

Thank you for the suggestions from everyone again and they have been taken on board. :)

Oh yep forgot to mention that the little guy isn't doing a great deal of training, just a little bit of leading once or twice a week as he has upward fixation of the patella so I'm leading him round a little now that he is being stabled overnight and not able to stay out overnight now.

Last edited: