Teaching Horse to Halt Square

Ferdinase514

Visit site
Any tips for teaching this?

Has always been a bit hit and miss for Finni and I, whether we end up square at end of dressage test!

I'm guessing it's to do with my weight in the saddle?

eohippus

equi-librium.mysite.orange.co.uk
At home try to ride down the centre line looking directly at the marker or a focus point beyond but central to the marker, as if it were the judges car, try to feel which way he is deviating, either to the left or right and use the leg to straighten. you could put two poles along the centre line to ride between with a pole across to halt at. feel like you are riding toward a big brick wall (ie the pole on floor) and have to stop sharp in front of it with deep ditches either side (ie the poles) so that you give an even and consistent halt transition.
hope this helps
Dawn

Peanot

Visit site
I have been doing this with my trainer and he says that as long as there is energy coming through from behind, and your horse is schooled to answer to a question immediately, then the halt will be square. Make sure that he is coming through and that he is very responsive to your aids and stops immediately then his hind legs will come underneath him to halt.
I`m sure that other users on here are much more up on this than me and you will get other advice too.

UKa

community.webshots.com
would also love to hear about this - shame on us we can't even manage level front legs half the times ... horse too impatient mind and finds it hard working from behind but have been working on that ...

Soph83

Visit site
<span style="color:purple"> I'm also struggling with this with my youngster! She's even halted with her front feet one in front of the other before! How she doesn't fall over sometimes I don't know.
Apparently if you really wrap your legs round and 'squeeze' them into halt it should be square and on the bit-someone needs to tell Argo that!!! </span>