Teaching Insurance

Tempi

Visit site
For those of you who teach can you tell me who you are insured with and if possible (if you dont mind) what your premimums are. Im just looking to renew my freelance insurance at the moment and what to try getting as many quotes as possible.

Are their people to avoid etc? Any information much appreciated.

Also I am a BHS Gold Member so already have PA and PL cover.

Tempi

Visit site
Yes, so do I - and i have my first aid certificate, CRB and SPC - however unfortunately i cant register with the BHS (which would then include my insurance) as they want you to do the 3 day first aid course which is £312!! Whereas i only have the 1 day one.

My horses aren't insured - so cant do it through the same company!

_jetset_

Visit site
I think BD offer something similar, but I think you have to do a first aid course through them too... but pretty sure it is only one day.

Tempi

Visit site
BD dont offer insurance, you have to have your own. I have already looked in to registering as a BD trainer which is something i am going to do next year.

I am just after information as to who other people insure with and who is meant to be the best at the moment that is all. I already have a renewal quote but would like it a bit cheaper if possible!!

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
I have just done my UKCC so going to have a similar thing. I have not looked into insurance yet as been waiting for my CRB to come back. I have done my 3 day HSE first aid through work and they were happy to accept that for my UKCC.

Tempi

Visit site
Ive got my AI and am about to do my UKCC Level 2 with the BHS and then doing my UKCC Level 3 through BD next year hopefully. My 1 day first aid for UKCC is fine, I just cant register with the BHS as need the 3 day.

I want to register as a BD trainer anyway (not with the BHS as im going down the dressage training route) which is all fine, just need to get my insurance renewal sorted. Have been quoted £23 a month but wondering if i can get it any cheaper elsewhere (that is with SEIB).

Tempi

Visit site
Thank you SC - thats really helpful. So do they except that then instead of the 3 day if i registered with them? As then at least i could get my insurance with them if i registered and would probably still work out cheaper than a renewal cost. Ive got a couple of months til i renew, but i like to be prepared!!

Want to keep my options open at the moment, although i will definitely register with BD as a trainer I am going to wait until i am competing regularly again next year.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
IME I would not bother with the UKCC2 and just go straight to UKCC3 as the level 2 and 3 bare no resemblance to each other. I have done 2 (through PC) and trained for 3 (Eventing). UKCC2 was one of the most frustrating things I have ever done its a massive box ticking exercise. I was with several experienced AIs and all found it very frustrating. UKCC3 is much more reasonable and you get 45 mins to teach a lesson from what you see in front of you. For BD that pupil would be at about AM as that is the level you are expected to have pupils at.

All the people who had UKCC2 taught at the UKCC3 training (I was a guinea pig at one session) were not up to standard. As you have your AI I would go straight to UKCC3. Learn what is required and then get lots and lots of practice and go and watch some assessments. That will be a much better use of time/effort/money that UKCC2!!

SpottedCat

Visit site
Yep - if you do their ESFA course then that's all you need to go on the register of instructors. I've done it in advance of finishing my UKCC2 so that when I do the final assessment day I can just join the register of instructors for my insurance.

Tempi

Visit site
SC - Ok thats fab, thank you :)

Lec - Thank you for all that info and advice, it was really useful. I wasnt aware i could go straight to do the UKCC Level 3. I knew it was at AM level though for the dressage as i did some reading up about it the other day. I was wondering if the UKCC Level 2 would be worth it or not for me but think you have proved to me its probably not worth my money!

becca1305

Visit site
Hi

I am insured with KBIS for around £400 a year. I dont know how good they are as I have never had to claim! my insurance is good though covering me from all angles; an essentially (in a posher way) covers damage to the rider, the horse, damage the horse does to anything/body, and damage to the horse if I am riding it. The only thing that bugs me is that your insurance as a riding instructor will not cover you to teach in your own arena unless the property is insured as a livery yard which is expensive to do. (it also doesnt cover you to teach on your own horses, not that I would want to!).

Hope that helps :)

hottoddy

Visit site
I'm with SEIB, its about £250 per year and gave the best cover I could find, some policies would only cover me for riding a clients horse if the client was there i.e if it was done as part of a lesson where as I needed to be covered for riding while the client is away/at work. I am also covered for clipping etc as well as the usual teaching activities