Teaching Youngsters

Flash_28

Visit site
I have a 19 month old colt and I am looking for some tips from other people on how they have taught their youngsters. I have had him for 5 months and he was totally unhandled when I got him. Their is a significant improvement with him. Although when he doesn't like something to be done he just runs in whatever direction his head is pointing in. We are also having issues tying him up. Just looking for some tips and help to make sure I am heading in the right direction with him. Want to get the ground rules in place before he gets any bigger or the penny drops that he is a colt!

kerilli

Visit site
re: tying up, the way I was taught, that works for me, is to use a thin lungeline and thread it through a ring tied by string to the tie-up loop (the line needs to be able to run through freely, hence using another ring - i use old bit rings, from chewed-and-binned rubber mouthing bits - not just a piece of twine), and I hold the other end of the line, and give and take as the horse pulls and fidgets at first, until he learns that it's easier to be patient and stand there. It takes a while but they don't learn to pull back and snap the string (hard habit to break) and they can't hurt themselves either.
hope that makes sense.
I'd want your lad to be civilised about being groomed all over, having feet picked out (if he's sharp with the back ones, there's a very safe way of desensitising the back legs, without risking getting kicked), being led around, etc.
Are you keeping him as a colt to breed with? Because if not, and if he's not an absolutely exceptional specimen, if he was mine I'd have him gelded asap!

NELSON11

Visit site
re: tying up, the way I was taught, that works for me, is to use a thin lungeline and thread it through a ring tied by string to the tie-up loop (the line needs to be able to run through freely, hence using another ring - i use old bit rings, from chewed-and-binned rubber mouthing bits - not just a piece of twine), and I hold the other end of the line, and give and take as the horse pulls and fidgets at first, until he learns that it's easier to be patient and stand there. It takes a while but they don't learn to pull back and snap the string (hard habit to break) and they can't hurt themselves either.
hope that makes sense.
I'd want your lad to be civilised about being groomed all over, having feet picked out (if he's sharp with the back ones, there's a very safe way of desensitising the back legs, without risking getting kicked), being led around, etc.
Are you keeping him as a colt to breed with? Because if not, and if he's not an absolutely exceptional specimen, if he was mine I'd have him gelded asap!

Ditto all the above, especially the gelding recommendation. My lad was a handfull as a baby. I used to lead him in either a rope halter or an eskadron safety headcollar with the chain over the nose, plus a lunge line so it gave me lots of room for manouvering him around. Very much installed in him, If I stop, he stops etc. I found leading with a schooling whip helped as could guide him a little with that also. Ie little tap to encourage forward movement if needed. It also helped to keep him away from my space by touching his shoulder with the rounded edge if he came into my space.

I think it is very much a case of black and white but consistent firm fair handling.

Flash_28

Visit site
hope that makes sense.

Thank you for the recommendations. I have been threading the leadrope through the rubber tie loop I bought esp for him. Is this the same as you have mentioned? Sorry didn't get much sleep last night and little confused!

To groom, pick out feet and rug and unrug I can do it all without him being tied up or held. In the summer months I admit I was a little lazy at times and did it out in the field with him. But obviously I need to get him used to being tied up and led. Just want to make sure I do the right thing for him.

Ditto all the above, especially the gelding recommendation. My lad was a handfull as a baby. I used to lead him in either a rope halter or an eskadron safety headcollar with the chain over the nose, plus a lunge line so it gave me lots of room for manouvering him around. Very much installed in him, If I stop, he stops etc. I found leading with a schooling whip helped as could guide him a little with that also. Ie little tap to encourage forward movement if needed. It also helped to keep him away from my space by touching his shoulder with the rounded edge if he came into my space.

I think it is very much a case of black and white but consistent firm fair handling.

Thank you for your reply. I was thinking of using a schooling whip as a guide when leading him.

I have probably made him sound a bit worse then he is. I can groom, pick out feet, unrug, rug etc without any hassle and when not tied up. But like last night I tried to wash down his feet a little and check for mud fever as he has 3 white socks. My mare can get mud fever easily and noticed a few rough patches and so wanted to be sure and catch it if there was anything there. He hates water and just headed straight for the wall with my dad still in tow! Obviously I can't have this. But it doesn't seem like we are getting much improvement. I know he has a brain as it took him an hour to learn how to pick out his feet from being unhandled.

Also the only reason he is still a colt is because his testicles just haven't dropped yet. The vet has confirmed that they are there and just been advised to wait until they drop. He is in quite poor condition still (he was a rescue) and so don't want to make the gelding any more complicated then it needs to be for him. He will be gelded though as I have 2 mares and not wanting a crazy colt and preggie mares!

Flash_28

Visit site
hope that makes sense.
QUOTE]

Ok read it a few times and thinking I know what you mean! Will def give it a try. Thank you. :)