TEAM CHASE REPORT - Essex & Suffolk.

Lynds

Visit site
We’ve had a busy weekend this weekend, dressage on Saturday where M reminded me that he doesn’t really want to be a dressage pony and prefers galloping and jumping over things and failing that then doing the centre line as fast as possible will have to suffice.

Sunday dawned, a lot brighter than last year’s team chase where we almost drowned and we didn’t even have to do the water crossing!

I cleaned the house with a speed brought about by nervous energy that would have impressed Usain Bolt before heading out to get pony ready for our big outing – Intermediate Team Chase at the Essex and Suffolk Hunt Event. We did this last year, at that level and the team came 5th (and as we were only a team of 3 my time counted, which given we are very ickle at 15hh was impressive!)

So arrived in good time and met the team to walk the course. I saw a friend on the way down to the start who asked if I’d seen jump 3.... ominous.

OMG. Jump 3 was a high as my head. I am 5ft 6. Intermediate is meant to be 3ft 6.... Photo is very dark, but you can see me... just.

attachment.php

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=20924&d=1383582699

Anyway, all other jumps looked big, but we’d done them before and so I wasn’t too concerned. Jump 22(?) after the water was huge, well over head but I have jumped hunting before (albeit from opposite direction, which is still huge) and it was optional so the decision was made we would jump it if
a. The team was still all 4 up
b. The horse had something left in the tank
attachment.php

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=20923&d=1383582639

Quick warm up – certainly didn’t want to wear him out before we started, and M felt full of himself, little buck and leap to remind all those big TBs and Dumb-bloods that he was the boss and had arrived, off we set... one and two, jumped a treat, turned to 3 and kicked on. Jumped it really nicely. M doesn’t like to touch it with his belly, so BIG leap over, no brushing through for him! (we are at the back).
http://youtu.be/44ra1-eq9ls

Tight turn for 4 and back round to 5, all big hedges and I could see little hairy knees really reaching forward! Up the hill to 6 and M was keeping up with the bigguns and I was having to hold him a bit, steadied up for 7a and b, big hedges in and out one stride road crossing and back round for 8, another 1 stride hedges/road crossing with an almighty drop on it thanks to a big leap from M, managed to get arse back in saddle and gallop on for yet another hedges/road crossing at 9a and b, off we set now towards the top of the course, the 2 lead horses charging off with 3 and I in hot pursuit, steadied for the smallest of rails at 10, as was worried he’d not ‘jump’ them as so much smaller than others, but he popped fine and over 11 (rails) too. Flew up the hill, and sharp left down the slippy muddy lane. No studs or shoes, but ground holding up well.

Jumped smaller hedge at an angle at 12, and turned back for 13, a nice straightforward hedge. Raced for 14, still up with the team and popped that with a hard 180 back over same hedge (15) to head towards home. Unfortunately this is where it started to go a bit wrong... I turned tight, as M is little and quick to turn. Rider 3 turned less tightly as she hadn’t ridden it before and then her saddle slipped and her line wavered and she cut across in front of us, so we ended up stirrup to stirrup at take off, M jumped/went through hedge, but kept his footing and kept going. It shook me up a bit though and I started to think... this is too fast. I’m scared! I steadied him more for hedge 16, which had to be jumped on an angle into the muddy lane again, and we got a bit left behind the others. M valiantly set off streaming after the others, but another sharp turn to the right meant I had to steady him again and so we were further behind, down the hill now faster and faster. I felt abit weak by this point, adrenaline all used up on hoovering in the morning and I have a dreadful cold too... all I could think was... omg this is too fast, I can’t stop and I am bit scared!

We then came to a y junction, we needed to go straight on, I stupidly presumed pony would just gallop straight on... however pony was now fed up of stupid rider just sat there and as he is clever he remembered that last time (1 whole blinking year ago!), we went left.... so he went left.

At which point I woke up from my terrified paralysis and said = no go straight! And so he did.... and I promptly carried on left... over his shoulder and into a big stack of saplings... Pony clearly much happier now no silly rider involved carried on minus me, and I had to actually pull my head (with hands!) out of the tree branches where it was jammed! Luckily no camera, although would have been amusing possibly!

And so the walk of shame to find the pony. (not too far luckily) I didn’t get back on, team were finished by the time pony and 1 were reunited. Had a little cry as adrenaline wore off, and headed back to trailer. Anyway good news was team came 4th! (I like to think I helped a bit!) and I was unhurt except bit stiff this am and had some thorns to remove from knees. Bad new is pony is lame with swollen fetlock this am, but I’m hoping a couple of days rest, ice and bute will sort him out. He’s never been sick or sorry before! Feel very bad and sorry for little pony.

So not going to go out with drag hounds as planned now over same course at end of November, hopefully pony will be fine and we’ll just hack and relax over the winter and think about whether to BE again next year (dressage so poor not sure its worth it!) and whether I’ll ever have the guts to do a team chase again!!

Soreen cake and Tea for any who got this far!

PS the others all jumped fence 22 as they didnt realise I had fallen off apparently! :)

daydreamer

Visit site
I went to watch yesterday and it was a great day out, I think you were very brave entering and having a go! I went last year and it does look exciting but I don't know if I'd be brave enough even to have a go at the novice course. Some of the horses in the intermediate warm up were mental! I think I must have seen you go over 3 and 4, fence 3 was huge! I heard about someone falling off on the flat and getting stuck in the tree and none of the rest of the team knowing what had happened - guess that was you!Hope you are feeling ok and that your horse makes a speedy recovery!

meesha

Visit site
Brilliant report of events even if it didn't quite go smoothly. Hat off to you, those jumps are huge and sounds as if you would have finished minus the cold. Hope ponio is feeling better soon.

Lynds

Visit site
Brilliant report of events even if it didn't quite go smoothly. Hat off to you, those jumps are huge and sounds as if you would have finished minus the cold. Hope ponio is feeling better soon.

Thanks, yes we did finish last year so I know we can... I've only come off him 5 times in 6 years - twice when he has slipped/fallen, once I had an emergency stop when man blowing whistle appeared from a tree and then 3 times when I've had a bad cold! Moral of that story - stay in bed when you have a cold and don't be hooning round like a maniac! :)

Lynds

Visit site
Crikey o'riley you're brave!!! Fab report :)

And fingers crossed your chap is sound and back at it v soon

Thanks, I hope so too. He's looking all chuffed at being tucked up in stable with big haynet tonight rather than out in field as usual! I'm sure novelty will wear off soon though!

Lynds

Visit site
I went to watch yesterday and it was a great day out, I think you were very brave entering and having a go! I went last year and it does look exciting but I don't know if I'd be brave enough even to have a go at the novice course. Some of the horses in the intermediate warm up were mental! I think I must have seen you go over 3 and 4, fence 3 was huge! I heard about someone falling off on the flat and getting stuck in the tree and none of the rest of the team knowing what had happened - guess that was you!Hope you are feeling ok and that your horse makes a speedy recovery!

Great, I'm the famous 'head in a tree' lady now... :)

Carefreegirl

Visit site
Brill report :biggrin3:

Shame about your fall but help laughing at the thought of you pulling your own head out of tree.

Hope your superstar pony is ok asap.

AliceCrail

Visit site
We were also there yesterday, but for the novice.
I also had to do the walk of shame, but with pony. Bloody thing tanked from the get go, ended up jumping one of hedges from the iintermediate and open courses while I was trying to get some control, narrowly avoided jumping a tree surround too (she seems to just lock on to any solid object) so decided to walk back from the furthest field on foot having overtaken my whole team on several occasions by then. I am hooked! :-D

Lynds

Visit site
We were also there yesterday, but for the novice.
I also had to do the walk of shame, but with pony. Bloody thing tanked from the get go, ended up jumping one of hedges from the iintermediate and open courses while I was trying to get some control, narrowly avoided jumping a tree surround too (she seems to just lock on to any solid object) so decided to walk back from the furthest field on foot having overtaken my whole team on several occasions by then. I am hooked! :-D
opps! At least pony is keen!

AliceCrail

Visit site
She is also a little 15hh, and despite the walk of shame, I was beaming! I know now that she can really jump, just need to sort the brakes!
Looking forward to the fernie in March!

Lynds

Visit site
Alicecrail-
If you can get out with the Cambridge draghounds I recommend their Lyndsey Tye meet which runs over the team chase course. The most fun you can legally have imo!

AliceCrail

Visit site
I was planning on going out with them this Sunday (horseheath) but really need to sort brakes out before she kills me :-D
The really mad bit? At the beginning of September my confidence was so low I was thinking of giving up entirely. I obviously just needed a challenge and some equally mad friends :-D

MungoMadness

Visit site
I love reading the team chase reports on here!

It looks like SO much fun, I actually find myself thinking "I want a go". Then I remind myself I am currently ******** myself about moving up to 90cm SJ and think then again maybe not.

I think you are well and truly (and excellently) nuts!

JFTDWS

Visit site
lordy you're brave, those are mental! I did laugh at the thought of you hauling your own head out of the trees though! Hope pony is ok soon.

I also read / watch the team chasing reports and think "wow I'd love to do that"... Then i remember how much of a wuss I am about 70cm fences :p

BarmyC

Visit site
What a fab report. Such a shame about your fall I hope you are not too sore.

All the best ones fall off lol I fell at the last in the open. Just slightly gutted.

ironhorse

Visit site
Lynds - you must have another go, you've proved you can! No, it's not ideal with a cold - the only two I did (several centuries ago now, it seems!) funnily enough I had a stinking cold too. At the Bicester I was so off my head on Sudafed, I couldn't understand why the others were nervous :D
Alice Crail mentions the Fernie - like the Pytchley and Bicester, that is a do-able journey if you are in East Anglia (and you could always put a request for stabling on the Team chasing Facebook page if you wanted to stay over) - and I would recommend the intermediate there. The E&S inter is brilliant, but I think it's probably one of the most testing on the circuit.
And for those who have said they can only jump 90cm, at most events the solid fences in the novice are actually no bigger than this.The Fernie novice is especially inviting.
The season starts again in the spring on 16th March at the Taunton Vale - let's see some more of you out there!

AliceCrail

Visit site
I think the reason I was so relaxed was I had spent the whole journey swigging from a bottle of Benylin! Felt like death yesterday though!

Last April I went showjumping for the first time in 3 years and did the 1'9" class. Just over 6 months later I have jumped an open/intermediate hedge (by accident, but hey ho!) Sometimes I think you have to do something so ridiculously huge/stupid/crazy that it doesn't feel real. There is no pressure because you can't imagine actually doing it.
Everyone should give it a go.

Sportyspots

Visit site
Great report Lynds. Sorry to hear M not 100% after!
Got to keep same team next year - I was rider 3 and to keep it fair having cut Lynds up at 15 we stormed past the other 2 and cut them up at 19 before regaining control.
What was frightening was having fallen on the flat there was no one around to radio it in so no-one knew what had happened, we just presumed that as they let other teams go you must at least have been alive!
AliceCrail bad luck, hopefully see you back there next year.

Lynds

Visit site
maybe I should try the sloe gin/benelyn or sudafed before I go again! M much better today, think one more day if being battery kept and then he can go back to being free range! :)

Lynds

Visit site
The draghounds are meeting at Semer on 24th November. Are you going?
no. I have done that hunt twice before and loved it but I was umming and ahhing re giving him a bit of time off from now to xmas and with his ickle swollen ankle decision has been made for me! :) are you? I might go to follow!

Jesstickle

Visit site
I was there to play groom for a novice team. Some of the int fences did look big!

If you go on foot on the 24th let me know. I think I might do the same. Current neddy not fit for hunting so I am living through friends at the moment! :p

Jesstickle

Visit site
Hello! Hardy ha. Small world isn't it? :D

I liked your naughty pony. And your random fence jumping. I thought the one you jumped looked a lot more enticing than the frankly horrible gateway!

Hopefully by spring I won't have to groom any more and I will be out on my own beastie. Although I think probably only doing the novice frankly! Although I do tend to get ideas above my station so who knows.

Have decided I am going to form a brown pony team to compete with the grey pony (plus one) team :D