Team Reggie: down in the dumps eventing...

Lolo

Visit site
A funny old report from us, all stations go but just a little bit meh.

Smokes went to his first posh party, at Gt Witchingham for the BE90. Al was weirdly nervous, for the first time the pressure was on a bit as Smokes had exceeded expectations so massively.

The dressage was a bit lacking oomph, but generally sweet. The judge is the lady who loves Reggie, absolutely adores him and if he gets above 35 from her you know it was a shoddy test... Unfortunately, she doesn't feel the same love for Smokes who was rewarded with a stream of 5s. His protest at the end of the test, where he saw some horses being turned out and refused to go down the centre line until he'd had a proper look, potentially didn't help. They scored a disappointing 47 :(

Onto the SJ, and Al felt sick with nerves. She was really struck by them, in a way which is abnormal even for her. They went in, and she just sat there. Smokes negotiated the first fence leg by leg, and then went through fence 2. He managed the third and then had a complete non-stride to the fourth. He kept chipping and chipping waiting for some input from his jockey, who was paralysed with nerves still. He went, and landed spread eagled mid-oxer with Al sitting on his ears... She scrambled back into the saddle as he extricated himself from the wreckage, gave herself a kick up the bum, and rode him beautifully for the rest of the course and he jumped like a stag.

http://www.equus-imaging.com/HT/BW21-230314/BHT21-230314SQ/index.html#26
Photos from here... Think he finds 90cm quite big ;)

Finally the best bit. The XC. And Smokes proved himself to be a complete star and missioned round without batting an eyelid at anything. He was having an absolute ball and in all the photos they're both ear-to-ear grinning.

http://www.equus-imaging.com/HT/BW21-230314/BHT21-230314SQ/index.html#43
He is the cutest pony ever!

Then this weekend Smokes and Reg had a play round the 90cm course at Isleham HT. Smokes went first and Al forgot how green he is- he's such a pro and so confident that it's an easy mistake to make. She let him cruise up to a skinny and he cruised straight on past. Once she'd sat up and pointed out the fence to him he was away :) He popped round really nicely bar that blip, he's such a perfect Peter!

http://shanemcgrathphotography.com/shop/index.php?do=photocart&viewImage=147164&zoom=yes
Photos here!

Reggie then went and did his customary cruise round. Al pointed and he went, minimal input wanted or required from his rider! He did nearly wipe her off on a tree, and had a massive goggle session at the ditch for reasons known only to himself... Al gave him a reminder that he wasn't ditchy and he sulkily jumped it and meandered over the skinny afterwards... He is such a dude! He came 9th for being miles under the time :D

On a hilariously dim note, Al excelled herself the past 2 weeks... At Gt Witchingham she was really worried, feeling sick with nerves and getting into a proper cycle of feeling sick and getting more stressed out. And then on Sunday at Isleham realised she wasn't sick with nerves, she was hungry... Because she felt the same again and "I'm never nervous about XC so it must have been something else!". Bless...

The plan now is all three boys are at mum's ODE next Friday. Between now and then Tango is having a JA lesson on Tuesday, and Smokes and Tango are on Friday. Al is giving herself a kick up the bum and is raring to go, and mum is desperately trying not to think about the fact the ODE is nearly full with a week before entries close. Oh, and Al is turning 20...

Lots of photos in the next report, but for now none sorry :(

EveningStar

Visit site
Smokes is looking great - starting to really grow up now. Sounds like he is a real pro at the most important bit (XC) and the other pieces of the puzzle will fall into place soon enough
Go Reggie! Bet he was loving not having to do any of that dressage or SJ rubbish :p

Oh and happy birthday to Al - no longer a teenager!

Rosiefan

Visit site
Nerves! Who needs them, pah. Seriously though, it doesn't sound too bad to me and it's only the very beginning of the season. Much better times to come I'm sure and happy 20th Al :)

HotToTrot

Visit site
This isn't down in the dumps! Go Al! It is v hard to ride when you are feeling that nervous (and hungry!).

I also love how supportive you are to her. Please could you be my sister, too? I'm from Norfolk, so we're likely related anyway.

BeckyC

Visit site
She shouldnt be down in the dumps at all!! smokey sounds like he's progressing brilliantly and she has 2 xc machine horses! I think it sounds like a brilliant start to the season and she should be very proud of how well shes done with reg and smokes!

PolarSkye

Visit site
It's all about perspective, isn't it? We've had comps like that and when we've come home and described it to friends/family, they've all been amazed that we were "meh." I did LOL at Al's hunger/nerves revelation . . . I do always make sure Z has something to eat (and plenty of water to drink) before each phase (although, if it were me piloting Kal round a XC course I'd be bright green with terror/nausea ;)).

Sounds like Smokes is really growing up well . . . looking forward to hearing about your next adventure.

P

Kokopelli

Visit site
Really doesn't sound like the dumps, smokes looks amazing as always, he is getting very white though, you may need to invest in a onesie ;)

Well done though, busy weekend ahead :)

Lolo

Visit site
Smokes is looking great - starting to really grow up now. Sounds like he is a real pro at the most important bit (XC) and the other pieces of the puzzle will fall into place soon enough
Go Reggie! Bet he was loving not having to do any of that dressage or SJ rubbish :p

Oh and happy birthday to Al - no longer a teenager!

He's so good, in a way we never really expected. Al was initially very cautiously planning him doing 80cm at mum's ODE but he's cruising 90cm and hopefully will step up to 1m fairly merrily.

And yep, Reg was so pleased with himself! Al's decided he's sticking to 90cm this year and they're just going to have a blast, no pressure at all. He's proved himself (and her, in a way) to everyone and there's no need to be rocking the boat by pushing him. She's taught her pig to sing and they're going to enjoy it now :)

(we're not talking about 20... I feel so old!)

Nerves! Who needs them, pah. Seriously though, it doesn't sound too bad to me and it's only the very beginning of the season. Much better times to come I'm sure and happy 20th Al :)

Exactly! And yes, she's pulled herself together now- lots of "I'm a terrible rider and person" talks but some distance has given some perspective and she's realised maybe it wasn't that horrific after all...

Lolo

Visit site
Doesn't sound very dumpish to me! Love Smokes and massive lol at Al's nervous revelation!

She's such a tit. I love how XC doesn't bother her at all, but dressage and poles do- let's think logically about this one, eh? Smokes is so well atm, I watched him school last night and he is coming on in leaps and bounds, and greying out hugely...

Sounds good! Smokey looks amazing!

Thank you :) Al struggled to get him to winter well- when he keeps the weight he's fine, but once it starts dropping it's serious effort to turn the tide. He would love Cali life with you, he's a sun bunny!

Lolo

Visit site
This isn't down in the dumps! Go Al! It is v hard to ride when you are feeling that nervous (and hungry!).

I also love how supportive you are to her. Please could you be my sister, too? I'm from Norfolk, so we're likely related anyway.

It was a terrible on paper and reality day, but with enough positives to make it not a demoralising one. The SJ is the kicker really, but I hope the fact that Smokes is genuine and able will counteract the years of confidence knocks with Reg. I adore Reg and he is a superb horse, but to SJ clear he needs the stars to align, god to smile and Al to be absolutely perfect to everything...

Al read this and said you're welcome to me, but only after mum's ODE as she needs me to plait all three up :D

She shouldnt be down in the dumps at all!! smokey sounds like he's progressing brilliantly and she has 2 xc machine horses! I think it sounds like a brilliant start to the season and she should be very proud of how well shes done with reg and smokes!

Yep, and she has come through and pulled herself together. He's just so capable and there's not telling her that most of that comes from her hard work this winter!

Lolo

Visit site
It's all about perspective, isn't it? We've had comps like that and when we've come home and described it to friends/family, they've all been amazed that we were "meh." I did LOL at Al's hunger/nerves revelation . . . I do always make sure Z has something to eat (and plenty of water to drink) before each phase (although, if it were me piloting Kal round a XC course I'd be bright green with terror/nausea ;)).

Sounds like Smokes is really growing up well . . . looking forward to hearing about your next adventure.

P

Next adventure is mum's ODE, where all three boys are partying hard. Only mum is organising it so is mad busy all day, I'm scoring so have to be very careful about splitting my time and Al will be essentially going solo with three horses... Bit of a big day!

Normally Al is good at keeping munching on things (my most polite way of saying she eats like her horse!) but I think nerves got to her a bit. I'll be an annoying big sister at her next event and keep handing her more and more food!

Really doesn't sound like the dumps, smokes looks amazing as always, he is getting very white though, you may need to invest in a onesie ;)

Well done though, busy weekend ahead :)

So white, he's almost completely greyed out in places- thank god he's not one for rolling in muddy patches! It isn't really, it was just a very minor blip that made Al very cross with herself. But she's given herself a kick now and hopefully next time she'll remember to do the same to her pony :D

khalswitz

Visit site
Omg, completely agree on the sickness/nerves/hunger front. If I don't eat I feel horrendously sick by the time I go on - getting a bacon buttie in on arrival at a show is now part of my routine!!

Honestly doesn't sound that bad - Al's just been on a winning streak and this hasn't been quite so too notch. But Smokes sounds to be coming on fabulously :) and the season is still young!!