Team Reggie: halo polishing, new ponies and a Smokey update

Lolo

Visit site
It's been a while since you had a Team Reggie update, but things have been all go (as ever!). Al and I have been stable managing at PC camp, where we had a record of 47 11-18yo attending. Not going to lie, come Friday morning we were ready to throttle a good half of them :D

First up, the invalid. Or not. Smokey is now very slowly coming back into work- he had a holiday after his leg infection while Al was busy with PC camps, teaching at rallies and riding too many other horses. He's in fine form, but very fat (yep... He now has an obesity problem- he is a barrel on legs!) so the return to work is very slow. Not helped by his constant quest for more food. Hopefully he'll be fully fit for autumn/ early season hunting though :)

The day before camp started, Reg was out at PC area dressage as part of the intermediate team. Last year, the test was reasonably difficult. This year it was updated, and was utterly foul (aka Novice-ish level). Al was a bit apprehensive- counter canter, medium trot, 5m canter loops, 10m circles and stretchy trot do not feature strongly in Reg's list of Dressage Movements I Can Do.

Lots of practice (and a few "what are your legs doing?" moments) the big day came round and, to cut a long story short, Reg was amazing.

27140_10201691141227401_1932784112_n.jpg

Canter loops...

1001099_10201691136867292_1505394187_n.jpg

Walking (without chinning himself- proud moment)

1146669_10201691142547434_2067484211_n.jpg

Stretchy trot...

544502_10201691143307453_789111961_n.jpg

10m loops...

Thy came out of the arena to most of Team Reggie in tears- even their instructor (who'd kindly warmed them up) was a bit emotional.

968906_10201691144827491_1324635155_n.jpg

Mummy hugs...

Their score of 64% to leave them mid-field was a bit disappointing initially, but Al watched the video back and after the second canter he went unlevel behind. Then they got their dressage sheet and up til then they'd gotten 7s with a few 8s- the final 4 movements where he was unlevel rightly received 4s, dragging the mark right down. The vet thinks he's just run out of bionic hocks, and so will be done again soon. Obviously this isn't a long term solution, but we think 2014 will be fine and then things will be reconsidered. Reg owes us nothing and what he says goes- currently, with bionic hocks he's amazing and very keen. If that changes Al will listen.

And finally, very exciting news. Everyone, meet Tango. (please don't ask why a decidedly dark brown horse is called tango- he's registered as Tango IX too...)

1170786_10201742999563827_2057002228_n.jpg

He's Al's first ever paying guest :D

He is 5, and is a homebred of the owner'ss by Sir Game out of a Irish Draught mare who her husband hunted. He's 16hh, but has taken a while to grow into himself (and he still is, really) and was lightly backed last year and then turned away and brought back this year. The lady who backed him also backed Bee, and when his owner asked who he could go to Al was recommended :eek:

Today was his first ever show, and true to form he was a total pro. His owner came to watch and was very pleased with how he looked which made Al happy! He did a walk/trot dressage test and a 65cm SJ class, as Al wanted it to be easy for him (especially as the SJ was his first course).

He was a bit tired by the time he did his test, what with all the thinking he'd had to do about the lorries and other horses, and got a bit deep at times. But overall he tried very hard. Al managed to completely miss a move, and when the judge beeped she just smiled and kept going. She'll never hear the end of it :D Despite his numpty jockey, he posted an impressive 70% to win his class by a clear margin- Al keeps trying to say this means she can't be that numpty, but Team Reggie disagrees...

1146495_10201742994283695_733882469_n.jpg

And the video:
[video=youtube;hPH9DydZlmA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPH9DydZlmA&list=UU8Bu1at0ZeLX4u4QZELauKw[/video]

And he then trotted straight over to do his 65cm class, where he was ridiculously brave and clever about all the scary fillers to do a clear round. This turned out to the be only clear round, meaning he bagged himself another red rosette...

1098253_10201742992243644_650110701_n.jpg

999584_10201742993123666_1190237894_n.jpg

1098139_10201742997763782_1602832158_n.jpg

He was very cute :) The goal is to keep it quite small for a while so he never has to turn back to a fence (he's never stopped, at worst he goes slow-mo so he can look better before going for it!) and then see what happens. There's a 70cm ODE class there next week, so if Al can take him XC before then he may do that.

Here's his SJ video:
[video=youtube;GQ3yoHtBjtQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQ3yoHtBjtQ[/video]

So yes, a mammoth Team Reggie update- well done to those who've trogged through to the bottom of it!

showpony

Visit site
Well done Al & Reg - Reg is SUCH a dude!!!!! thrilled for them:)

Re Smokey, glad to hear he is on the mend..... as for Tango - well horse envy has kicked in , he is absoloutly gorgeous, lovely kind eye ... Something special about him I think!

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Well done Al! Tango looks fab, he's got a lovely jumping style, what a great sort for Al to have the ride on :)

JFTDWS

Visit site
Wow things really are all go, aren't they. Reg looks fab and that dressage was clearly a big success for them - despite bionic hock issues!

The UnTango horse is rather lovely too. Great boost for Al to have such another lovely ride as well as a paying guest and such a great recommendation. It's really all coming together isn't it :D

dafthoss

Visit site
I've said it before but go team reggie! :D

Gutted I missed his test at areas, we were still hanging about so I could have come watched. Now your making me look very late with my areas report, you had an excuse what with 50 kids and ponies to look after.

Great news about smokes, still haven't seen the proof of fat smokes yet ;).

Tango is just super, how exciting to have a horse like him as a paying guest.

MyBoyChe

Visit site
Just browsing through this bit of the forum as Im not a competitor at all but I cant pass the hugging picture without passing comment, the look on Regs' face is priceless, a lovely picture!

Tobiano

Visit site
Gorgeous pics! Well done and congratulations to Ali on the great performances and the paying guest. :) Sorry to hear about Reggie's hocks, hopefully vet can do a bit of magic there :)

Lolo

Visit site
Well done Al & Reg - Reg is SUCH a dude!!!!! thrilled for them:)

Re Smokey, glad to hear he is on the mend..... as for Tango - well horse envy has kicked in , he is absoloutly gorgeous, lovely kind eye ... Something special about him I think!

Thank you :) She has got herself a team of real characters now, the yard is a lovely place and they all are very funny.

Hoping so... He is such a trier, no isn't part of his vocabulary it seems!

Lovely reports how exciting to get a new neddy to play with. He's made a good start too. :)

Tango has set off with a bang, bless him! Hopefully the whole experience was so easy and fun for him he'll keep going like that. Everyone kept laughing at how huge he is compared to Reggie, despite Reg being a good hand taller!

Well done Al! Tango looks fab, he's got a lovely jumping style, what a great sort for Al to have the ride on :)

She is a very lucky girl to have been asked- it's a bit of an honour really as she has no record or anything, just people saying she rides well enough. Leap of faith for the owner! He can be a bit dyspraxic, but as he's a big baby he's allowed to have moments where his legs and brain aren't quite coordinated :D

Lolo

Visit site
Great report Lolo - well done all :D
Oh, and congrats to Al on the paying guest!

Thank you! It has been a successful few weeks for them, Al is unleashing her inner dressage diva it seems!

I've said it before but go team reggie! :D

Gutted I missed his test at areas, we were still hanging about so I could have come watched. Now your making me look very late with my areas report, you had an excuse what with 50 kids and ponies to look after.

Great news about smokes, still haven't seen the proof of fat smokes yet ;).

Tango is just super, how exciting to have a horse like him as a paying guest.

Al won't let cameras near him in his current obese state! Sometimes he just looks rotund, and other angles make him look like he's about to pop out twins... He is hilarious, such a goody two shoes :) Well done at areas, you definitely need to report on it as YP and you did so well against some ridiculously overqualified ponies! Still feel mildly guilty ;) If you'd seen the test you'd have had to be embarrassed by team Reggie's collective howling post-test.

Tango is a bit special, hopefully he'll have the same "Okay" attitude to XC!

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
She is a very lucky girl to have been asked- it's a bit of an honour really as she has no record or anything, just people saying she rides well enough. Leap of faith for the owner! He can be a bit dyspraxic, but as he's a big baby he's allowed to have moments where his legs and brain aren't quite coordinated :D

No more nimble-footed ex racer luxury then!:wink3:

Lolo

Visit site
Well done Al and Reg! They both sound amazing and look lovely on the pictures :D

I also LOVE Tango, he sounds very honest :)

Al and Reg are such a team, she owes a lot to him- without him, she'd never have learnt as much as she has and he tries his socks off for her.

No is not in Tango's vocabulary it seems :D

Just thrilled for Al and the whole team - all the hard work and dedication is earning the reward it deserves. :) :) :)

Thank you- I hope so. She slogs it, and now it seems like things might be working out...

Just browsing through this bit of the forum as Im not a competitor at all but I cant pass the hugging picture without passing comment, the look on Regs' face is priceless, a lovely picture!

He's pulling his "Girls are stupid" face :D He does it if you fuss over him too much, but if you stop he starts demanding it again! Think I may try and get it printed properly, it's such a special moment between the three of them :)

Gorgeous pics! Well done and congratulations to Ali on the great performances and the paying guest. :) Sorry to hear about Reggie's hocks, hopefully vet can do a bit of magic there :)

Reg's hocks are an ongoing problem really. He's got such a lot of wear and tear on him, something has to give and it's arthritic hocks for him- luckily he responds very well to treatment at the moment so we're rolling with it until he doesn't. He's here forever, as top dog, regardless. He's far too special for anything else!

The Paying Guest (should be his show name, rather than Tango the Billionth!) is a very awesome first one, he's so game for everything.

HotToTrot

Visit site
Reg the DR superstar! Well done Al on a great result and Tango looks amazing too. Good work managing not to kill the PC kids. I will send mine to you when she is old enough.

Firewell

Visit site
Reggie is looking fantastic, shame about the hocks wearing off mid test! I have a good feeling about the new boy! I sense he will be a good horse for Al, I hope his owner keeps him with her :) :).

teapot

Visit site
Great report - love reading your posts and the gorgeous Reggie.

The untangoed Tango looks rather smart too :)

Lolo

Visit site
Very glad smokey is all better now and reg looks fab in the photos!!! Really like the new boy!! looks like a lovely addition :)

Thank you :) His test video is so sweet, but Al doesn't fancy people slating her on Youtube as he is unlevel for the last bit so it's not for the public eye!

Really lovely update apart from one thing! Where are the Smoke pics?,

No Smokey photos until he looks less like he's had a bicycle pump up him ;) Al is mildly horrified by how fat he is, although he does look adorable. He'd be more adorable if he stopped pulling all the rugs from mangers to see if there's hidden dinners though... :D

No more nimble-footed ex racer luxury then!:wink3:

Considering how teeny tiny Al looks on him despite him being at least a full hand shorter than Reg, I reckon she might suit dainty ones a tad better :D He is such a careful, sweet horse- we've told Reg he needs to watch how Tango picks his toes up/ ponces, as he'd already struggle to beat him in a dressage test... Poor cronky boy!

Lolo

Visit site
Reg the DR superstar! Well done Al on a great result and Tango looks amazing too. Good work managing not to kill the PC kids. I will send mine to you when she is old enough.

Brave person- we're terrible influences :D Thank you, the boys are in business it seems!

Reggie is looking fantastic, shame about the hocks wearing off mid test! I have a good feeling about the new boy! I sense he will be a good horse for Al, I hope his owner keeps him with her :) :).

Al had been thinking for a week he might be needing a top up, and the test really pushed him and it showed when he got tired. At least it got the team manager to stop asking why she didn't do the warm up test- "he'll go lame" is apparently a sufficient answer!

I hope so. He's such a sweetheart in every way. His only fault is bashing the lorry if his friend leaves him, but we think he'll outgrow that!

Great report - love reading your posts and the gorgeous Reggie.

The untangoed Tango looks rather smart too :)

Thank you :) Reggie gets prettier and prettier I think, he's such a photogenic horse. And :D Most inappropriate name ever? I think so!

His registered name is already taken by BE too, so he'll have to be Tango X... People will expect a cheery chestnut, not a hulking bay!

BeckyD

Visit site
Ahhh Reg is looking so great. What shoddy timing that his hocks started to show some creakiness during the test! Hoepfully the medication will put him back on track so that he can be a dressage superstar again!!

Love Tango, very smart and very cute!

Go Team Reggie :D

Lolo

Visit site
I'm a bit of a lurker generally... But I absolutely LOVE reading your updates. Super well done to Team Reggie and Tango, the smiles say it all! :)

Aw, thank you :) Al, when she's not gurning, smiles a lot! Hopefully Tango can be a fully fledged Team Reggie member :D

Ahhh Reg is looking so great. What shoddy timing that his hocks started to show some creakiness during the test! Hoepfully the medication will put him back on track so that he can be a dressage superstar again!!

Love Tango, very smart and very cute!

Go Team Reggie :D

Thank you! It's been slowly creeping back in at times, but he has been re-done now and is on fine form bossing his friends around in the field :D He's coming back into work soon and Al thinks he may be in rather high spirits! Can't believe he's now able to get 7s and 8s at the area level, doing a novice level test. 2 years ago, we were impressed with more than 55%!!

Tango has won himself out of Intro classes in one outing (mustn't win or get more than 68%...) so is attempting a prelim next week. As his canter stride is pretty much the length of an arena we're not expecting much, poor boy!