Team Reggie: our last report. And it's a happy one!

Lolo

Visit site
Because Al has packed her bags, said her goodbyes and has headed off to pastures new and very exciting. I am so proud of her for getting this amazing opportunity, and I know she is going to have the best time there! She has returned to where she did her working pupil stint this winter to be a groom- she's been spending a lot of her summer travelling to events with this team getting used to how they work away from home, and now she's getting her dream career with them.

So Team Reggie headed off to Keysoe to have a bash at the BE90, and see how super Smokes would cope with the event. It's very busy, bold and bright and it would be a real challenge for him as he is still gaining confidence away from home.

The dressage started well, and he was going really sweetly. And then someone galloped past the hedge and scared the living daylights out of him. It's very much a known problem that he doesn't like people getting close and rushing round him and it's a massive throwback to his polo days we think. Al just tried to keep him going while reassuring him that he was fine and not about to get attacked by the hedge monster. It was very disappointing for her because he felt so good up til that point (and the judge agreed!), but he managed to hold himself together enough to complete the test which he wouldn't have a few months ago. They scored a fairly generous 43, and amazingly weren't near last after the dressage!

[youtube]Q4vKRXJVtvc[/youtube]
In the interest of 'open' reporting, here's the dressage in all its glory...

Onto the SJ which was big and bright as Keysoe always is, and causing a fair few problems. Al knew she was really going to have to be brave for them both now, which was daunting as she's only just getting her nerve back SJ! However Smokes swaggered into the arena and did a storming clear round. He was confident and forwards, and didn't even consider boggling at the spooky fillers :D I think he did enjoy the more up to height fences too, he certainly gave them enough air!

[youtube]y_U8GlPEV04[/youtube]

And for those interested, here's Smokes in a lesson with John Adams, jumping some big old fences!
[youtube]C4DPBuoAOtM[/youtube]

And finally the XC- pretty much the opposite of Carlton with lots of interesting questions and bright fences. Al was particularly concerned about the penultimate combination, a plain fence on a turning line to a proper corner without much to guide you through it. And the final fence itself was blimmin' mahoosive too! Smokes set off with all the confidence in the world and produced an absolutely flawless round. Al said he felt like he knew his job exactly and was really enjoying himself, looking for his fences and listening to her. The cruised round under the time easily on one of those rides where every fence is right and you just can enjoy it. They finished with ear to ear grins and lots of pats and cuddles for a very talented little grey horse.

[youtube]XTpoZLjsUpY[/youtube]
Starting, you probably want to skip the first 30 seconds or so unless you enjoy watching him dawdle in a circle before going into the start :D

[youtube]rJLqzlr102U[/youtube]
And finishing over the corner combination of terror, and the mahoosive final fence. I love that you can see how big Al's grin is between fences, she looks like the Cheshire cat!

They finished 11th, and got another shiny foundation point. Next time they WILL get that frillie, he is Mr Consistent now and they deserve it so much!

So that's Team Reggie, over and out. There will be more reports hopefully, but it's not really Team Reggie- the main man is being spoilt rotten by everyone he meets in Suffolk, Al has disappeared off with the small grey one to Northampton to mix with the elite, and mum is enjoying being horse-free for the first time in 14 years. So much has changed in that time... I can't believe watching those videos the rider was the same child who refused to hold the reins and cried because it was "too fast" at walk (but insisted she loved riding!) at our local riding school.

Thank you to everyone who has cheered us all on, hopefully this isn't the last you've heard from us :D

Sammy1983

Visit site
I'm happy and sad by your post. I've loved reading about al and reggies adventures and will very much miss them. On the other hand I've very glad Al has got the job of her dreams and wish her all the luck in the world

slumdog

Visit site
I'm also happy and sad by your post. Youve both done a fantastic job producing Smokes (and Reg!) and you've done a fantastic job producing Al! She's a cracking rider and a real credit to you.

khalswitz

Visit site
Because Al has packed her bags, said her goodbyes and has headed off to pastures new and very exciting. I am so proud of her for getting this amazing opportunity, and I know she is going to have the best time there! She has returned to where she did her working pupil stint this winter to be a groom- she's been spending a lot of her summer travelling to events with this team getting used to how they work away from home, and now she's getting her dream career with them.

So Team Reggie headed off to Keysoe to have a bash at the BE90, and see how super Smokes would cope with the event. It's very busy, bold and bright and it would be a real challenge for him as he is still gaining confidence away from home.

The dressage started well, and he was going really sweetly. And then someone galloped past the hedge and scared the living daylights out of him. It's very much a known problem that he doesn't like people getting close and rushing round him and it's a massive throwback to his polo days we think. Al just tried to keep him going while reassuring him that he was fine and not about to get attacked by the hedge monster. It was very disappointing for her because he felt so good up til that point (and the judge agreed!), but he managed to hold himself together enough to complete the test which he wouldn't have a few months ago. They scored a fairly generous 43, and amazingly weren't near last after the dressage!

[youtube]Q4vKRXJVtvc[/youtube]
In the interest of 'open' reporting, here's the dressage in all its glory...

Onto the SJ which was big and bright as Keysoe always is, and causing a fair few problems. Al knew she was really going to have to be brave for them both now, which was daunting as she's only just getting her nerve back SJ! However Smokes swaggered into the arena and did a storming clear round. He was confident and forwards, and didn't even consider boggling at the spooky fillers :D I think he did enjoy the more up to height fences too, he certainly gave them enough air!

[youtube]y_U8GlPEV04[/youtube]

And for those interested, here's Smokes in a lesson with John Adams, jumping some big old fences!
[youtube]C4DPBuoAOtM[/youtube]

And finally the XC- pretty much the opposite of Carlton with lots of interesting questions and bright fences. Al was particularly concerned about the penultimate combination, a plain fence on a turning line to a proper corner without much to guide you through it. And the final fence itself was blimmin' mahoosive too! Smokes set off with all the confidence in the world and produced an absolutely flawless round. Al said he felt like he knew his job exactly and was really enjoying himself, looking for his fences and listening to her. The cruised round under the time easily on one of those rides where every fence is right and you just can enjoy it. They finished with ear to ear grins and lots of pats and cuddles for a very talented little grey horse.

[youtube]XTpoZLjsUpY[/youtube]
Starting, you probably want to skip the first 30 seconds or so unless you enjoy watching him dawdle in a circle before going into the start :D

[youtube]rJLqzlr102U[/youtube]
And finishing over the corner combination of terror, and the mahoosive final fence. I love that you can see how big Al's grin is between fences, she looks like the Cheshire cat!

They finished 11th, and got another shiny foundation point. Next time they WILL get that frillie, he is Mr Consistent now and they deserve it so much!

So that's Team Reggie, over and out. There will be more reports hopefully, but it's not really Team Reggie- the main man is being spoilt rotten by everyone he meets in Suffolk, Al has disappeared off with the small grey one to Northampton to mix with the elite, and mum is enjoying being horse-free for the first time in 14 years. So much has changed in that time... I can't believe watching those videos the rider was the same child who refused to hold the reins and cried because it was "too fast" at walk (but insisted she loved riding!) at our local riding school.

Thank you to everyone who has cheered us all on, hopefully this isn't the last you've heard from us :D

Wow, end of an era!!!!

Firstly, all the best to Al with her job - not that she needs it! She's going to have the best time, and Smokes is just going to get better and better it seems!

I'm glad Reg has settled well and is very happy, but I have to admit I still think it should be Team Reggie, just due to his enormous legacy!!

Huge well done to them both - looks like Smokes is getting better and better all the time. He's going to be an absolutely awesome little horse when Al brings him home again! And Al looks so pro these days. She's going to be an awesome pro rider one day!

My big question - if Al is off to pasture new, and we are reportless, will we maybe hear more about you, Lolo? I haven't forgotten how brave you were getting!

Orangehorse

Visit site
Feel the same as everyone else - happy for you all and sad not to be gettiing reports. It has been so interesting and a real credit to you. Absolutely wonderful how Smokes has progressed and I wish you all well for the future. And hope for some more reports!

Old Bat

Visit site
What a great report to bow out with! I've always enjoyed reading them and have great admiration for Al. I hope all remains well in your lives and that you do keep in touch every so often!

EventingMum

Visit site
Great report. The odd update would be great to hear too. I'd just like to say how well Al has done but mainly what a supportive sister you are - many people would love someone like you behind them and I bet Al wouldn't have progressed so well without family support.

Carefreegirl

Visit site
Blimey - he's a pocket rocket ! What a fantastic opportunity for her, ever so very muchly slightly jealous :biggrin3:

Look forward to hearing her reports in H&H next season !!!

alwaysbroke

Visit site
Have always enjoyed your reports about Team Reggie and Al, she has done so well, I wish her every success in her new job, but will miss your reports:)

Rosiefan

Visit site
How fab is Smokes :) Sorry there won't be any more reports but Al is all growed up and standing on her own two feet (which is what it's all about if you ask me). I'm joining everyone else in wishing her every success in this new stage in her life. x

Bestdogdash

Visit site
Oh ! She is coming to the yard where my horses are trained/competed! I look forward to meeting her soon, in that case. We didn't meet her last time as my boys were home for winter. She is in the best possible place, with the nicest people and the VERY best teacher. Good for her.

Lolo

Visit site
I'm happy and sad by your post. I've loved reading about al and reggies adventures and will very much miss them. On the other hand I've very glad Al has got the job of her dreams and wish her all the luck in the world

Thank you :)

Well done to the whole team. Smokes seems to be coming on brilliantly and Reg has earned the admiration.

Smokes is turning into a superstar. He arrived at his new home with Al today (she went after Burghley finished) and has settled in straight away- he is so confident! Reg has earned the right to do whatever he fancies, and he loves the attention!

I'm also happy and sad by your post. You've both done a fantastic job producing Smokes (and Reg!) and you've done a fantastic job producing Al! She's a cracking rider and a real credit to you.

Thank you :) I think she mostly saw what I've done with my life and has done the opposite!

Lolo

Visit site
Wow, end of an era!!!!

Firstly, all the best to Al with her job - not that she needs it! She's going to have the best time, and Smokes is just going to get better and better it seems!

I'm glad Reg has settled well and is very happy, but I have to admit I still think it should be Team Reggie, just due to his enormous legacy!!

Huge well done to them both - looks like Smokes is getting better and better all the time. He's going to be an absolutely awesome little horse when Al brings him home again! And Al looks so pro these days. She's going to be an awesome pro rider one day!

My big question - if Al is off to pasture new, and we are reportless, will we maybe hear more about you, Lolo? I haven't forgotten how brave you were getting!

Al is still deciding if she wants to go big, or if she prefers doing what she's doing with Smokes and spending the time really turning him into a respectable character! But I think whatever she decides she is going to be good at it, she's so determined (stubborn, some say... Accurately!).

I've managed to land myself a proper job in the middle of a city, so horses are completely off the agenda now :( I also have fallen out of love with riding, I think I enjoyed it when I had my horse who I was so happy on because we were perfect together but now I feel very much like it's a world I wan to be involved in from the ground!

Feel the same as everyone else - happy for you all and sad not to be getting reports. It has been so interesting and a real credit to you. Absolutely wonderful how Smokes has progressed and I wish you all well for the future. And hope for some more reports!

Thank you :) I'll try and do some- probably lots of little ones clumped together with other general ramblings/ news. Smokes is a different little horse now, I love how he's blossomed under saddle. I was watching videos of him last year and he was clueless- Al took up a contact and he ground to a confused halt!

Lolo

Visit site
What a great report to bow out with! I've always enjoyed reading them and have great admiration for Al. I hope all remains well in your lives and that you do keep in touch every so often!

Thank you :) I'll still post, but I'm going to keep it a lot more quiet and try and avoid anything contentious!

Great report. The odd update would be great to hear too. I'd just like to say how well Al has done but mainly what a supportive sister you are - many people would love someone like you behind them and I bet Al wouldn't have progressed so well without family support.

I think we're lucky to be part of a family where we all do support each other and there's very little in the way of rivalry. And Al pays me back in spades- she gave me lessons when she hates teaching, and stood in the middle of clear round courses helping me out when I was a nervous wreck despite having a dressage test minutes after! It's going to be very quiet at home now- I'm gone, she's gone and my brother is on the way off too!

Blimey - he's a pocket rocket ! What a fantastic opportunity for her, ever so very muchly slightly jealous :biggrin3:

Look forward to hearing her reports in H&H next season !!!

He is a bit, isn't he! Small grey horses are definitely the best (aside from very large brown horses, they're pretty special too). I love how he's just got so much bounce and joy, he's insufferable in the best possible way!

I'm a bit jealous too tbh, and very proud of her. She's going to love it. And how many 20yo girls get to say they've got their dream job in the perfect place with their idol, despite no qualifications, and get to take their small and slightly mad pony with them?! She's a lucky girl, but she's earnt it too.

Lolo

Visit site
Have always enjoyed your reports about Team Reggie and Al, she has done so well, I wish her every success in her new job, but will miss your reports:)

Thank you :) You were one of the first people to really cheer her on on here and I miss your reports a lot!

How fab is Smokes :) Sorry there won't be any more reports but Al is all growed up and standing on her own two feet (which is what it's all about if you ask me). I'm joining everyone else in wishing her every success in this new stage in her life. x

Thank you :) He's very fab (in his opinion at least!) and he is very happy to be back on the super posh yard- he loves it there with all the goings on to watch!

Oh ! She is coming to the yard where my horses are trained/competed! I look forward to meeting her soon, in that case. We didn't meet her last time as my boys were home for winter. She is in the best possible place, with the nicest people and the VERY best teacher. Good for her.

Oh wow! Yes, she loved it there this winter, and although she's going to miss Norfolk I think this new chapter is exactly what she needs. She got so much out of it just from a few months, she is so lucky to be heading there properly now.

j1ffy

Visit site
So sad that this is the last report! I hope you'll be able to pop back on with updates on how Al is getting on. Best of luck to her, it sounds like an amazing opportunity.