Team Reggie: rosettes for Reggie! And a wedding...

Lolo

Visit site
The title says it all really! Reggie bagged himself a rosette today, and it was a lovely shiny yellow one! We're not sure how his ego fitted in the lorry, and he's now chilling in the field telling Tango exactly how to be a schoolmaster like himself :D

It was Isleham, and Al had Smokes and Reg there in the 90cm- Tango was also going for the 80cm but he's having viewings atm so it was decided to not run him.

Smokes went first and did a very jolly dressage. It was all very sweet but very fresh too, and he had lots of opinions that needed saying so a mark per movement was dropped pretty much through a form of self-expression (lots of head wiggles and bounces!). He got 41, which was very fair- he's got so much to offer, it's just going to take time and exposure to produce it all.

In the SJ Al really concentrated on being positive in her riding rather than shrinking and going a bit backwards and she felt she rode considerably better than she has done before at comps. Smokes went quite green at the double, an upright to an oxer, and had a stop but it was a very genuine baby moment. But the positive is Al didn't flap but just kept going and he completed the rest of the round really sweetly. Lots of pats and smiley faces!

Finally, the XC! It was skinny central, reminding Al she needs to do some basics with him about skinnies as he's not met them outside of competition yet... The main bogey fences were:

10250183_10152778394904325_8539925837797073711_n.jpg

These had a really funny approach, which made getting a good line harder

10154312_10152778395509325_7207208071588931183_n.jpg

Next to the lorry park

10268710_10152778395604325_2377838095744653503_n.jpg

Smokes set off really well- he really gets XC now and loves it! Fence 4 came up a bit too quickly and the line was slightly off, and he just didn't get the question so had a very understandable green runout at part A. On his second attempt though he flew through and scampered round the next couple of fences easily including the skinny into the water splash :D He went through the ditch complex sweetly, although he needed a bit of positive riding to get to the skinny, and he finished the round on a massive high :) Very clever pony!

[youtube]Sf5MEReRono[/youtube]

[youtube]Bx3lhGGY3Cg[/youtube]
XC videos inclusing the water splash and ditch complex :)

Reg, aka Mr Chilled, did his customary test of absolute nonchalance and minimal effort. He scored a 35 for his lack of efforts :D There's not much to say about his dressage really, he rocks up, does it, wonders off again... He's most interested in his polos after the test!

The SJ at Isleham has long held serious demons for Al and Reg, but a combination of a step down and a much more relaxed approach from Al has paid off in dividends. They rolled fence 2, but aside from that left them all up... Very confusing situation for everyone but they really have found their SJ mojo now :D

[youtube]7H9F2rZUjdI[/youtube]

And the best bit, the XC. Al just pointed him in the right direction and off they went with their usual argument at the ditch. We have no idea why this particular ditch causes issues. The one next to it is fine, the novice one is fine. Every other ditch in the world is fine- he is so unditchy it's ridiculous. But the BE90 ditch at Isleham always results in some very 'positive' riding from Al and a frankly absurd display from Reg...

[youtube]ifGkV49Z3kc[/youtube]
He wasn't awarded a stop for this, amazingly!

[youtube]3_yvnnaNIU4[/youtube]

And last week, Al and Reg finally tied the knot ;) Al was asked if she'd mind posing with him for a bridal shoot, and there are some absurdly beautiful photos of them :)

1505069_10201702917594254_3312049908615034328_n.jpg

This is my absolute favourite from the shoot, but there are more to be seen on this FB page.

https://www.facebook.com/ElizaBooPh...1021117925555/838248546202806/?type=1&theater

I can't believe how beautifully behaved he was- it was a wide open field, lots going on, and he was his usual relaxed self as Al rode him bareback around posing, wearing the most enormous wedding dress. He is absolutely one in a million.

Which makes this bit all the harder to have decided. Al has been asked back to where she did her WP stint as a full time groom. She can take a horse, but it'll be proper paid employment and her ideal career path- she loved her time there and this is such an enormous opportunity she would be mental to say no. But she can take one horse, and Reg would absolutely hate it there. So she's made the exceptionally tough decision to find him a loan home where he can continue being the best schoolmaster and happy hack you'd wish to meet. They'll be carefully vetted and have to be local enough that Team Reggie can check in for cuddles and kisses regularly, and there's no rush so he'll only go to the perfect home for him. If no one suitable turns up then he'll stay at home and join the retired boys club on the big fields, bit we'd rather he kept having fun with someone!

Please no comments on this decision, it's been made now after weeks of agonising.

Sheep

Visit site
Congrats on the great rounds from the boys, to you all for making a sensible and mature decision for Reggie and to your sister for landing such a fantastic job. Lots to be proud of!

khalswitz

Visit site
Well done on the yellow frilly!! Clever Reg!!!!

And well done on your decision. I know how many times you've said that Reg loves the quiet on the yard, and look at how happy a step down has made him rather than the step up that this opportunity will be. Smokes will love it, and Al will love it, and Reg can be a XC machine at a height he's happy with and plod around merrily on hacks.

Very, very exciting news going back!! Well done, Al, I know you'll love it so saying 'enjoy!' doesn't really apply! It's a big step on the road to being a pro, I just hope we'll get updates on how Smokes gets on with you there!!!

When do you leave?? Is this the last Reg report for Team Reggie or can we expect a few more before you leave??

Well done for all the achievements in this report :D

HotToTrot

Visit site
Well done!! And how exciting for Al. Totally the right decision for Reg (not that it'd matter if anyone thought otherwise, but no sense taking him to do something he doesn't want to do!). Will you keep up the reports from her new yard?

BeckyC

Visit site
what a great day at isleham!! smokey is improving each time i see a vid of him! sounds like the perfect solution for reg, he will love it and your only loaning so will always be able to assure his future. its a brilliant opportunity for al and def the right thing to take it!

nikicb

www.facebook.com
Great report as always Lolo. Love the bit about Smoke having a lot of opinions. I did get confused about why Reg's SJ was confusing though. A massive well done to Al and Reg on the 3rd place. They have changed so much in the past couple of years. I am sure his new loaner would have a fab time with him and he will teach them a lot. Lovely 'wedding pics' and wow, what an amazing opportunity for Al. I'm sure she will be great. Good luck to her. :) x

humblepie

Visit site
Echo all the above. Have always liked Reg, cool name for a start and can see someone having a lot of fun with him. How brilliant to do that photo shoot, what a babe. V exciting news on the job front for Al and good luck.

Gamebird

Visit site
How exciting. One of my friends has just started working there too :)

I am a little disappointed as I thought this thread was going to be about my ex-horse Reggie who had a win for his new owner today, but I'll let you off as they're all so cute!

JFTDWS

Visit site
Super Reg!

Massive congratulations to Al on the job too - how exciting for her :) As for finding Reg a loan home, it seems like a no-brainer if you can - ideal situation. Good luck!

armchair_rider

Visit site
Well done to Al and Reg - and Smokes as well. Al's new job sounds like a great opportunity, shame about Reg but it sounds like right decision to make and i'm sure they'll be no lack of takers for him.

Lolo

Visit site
Congrats on the great rounds from the boys, to you all for making a sensible and mature decision for Reggie and to your sister for landing such a fantastic job. Lots to be proud of!

Yes, I am so proud of her even if I won't say so to her face :D And the boys were brilliant!

Looks all good fun, I love the wedding photo!

No judgement re: Reg....only a slight :( as I'm both far away and going to miss Reg updates.

There has been a not inconsiderable amount of teasing over the wedding photos, as we've always joked she has the perfect boy and it's just a pity he's a horse!

Lolo

Visit site
Well done on the yellow frilly!! Clever Reg!!!!

And well done on your decision. I know how many times you've said that Reg loves the quiet on the yard, and look at how happy a step down has made him rather than the step up that this opportunity will be. Smokes will love it, and Al will love it, and Reg can be a XC machine at a height he's happy with and plod around merrily on hacks.

Very, very exciting news going back!! Well done, Al, I know you'll love it so saying 'enjoy!' doesn't really apply! It's a big step on the road to being a pro, I just hope we'll get updates on how Smokes gets on with you there!!!

When do you leave?? Is this the last Reg report for Team Reggie or can we expect a few more before you leave??

Well done for all the achievements in this report :D

Al plans on just keep having fun with Reg until they find the right person, so he's got a photoshoot on Tuesday (he's proper model now, donchaknow...) and then some SJ (boring!) and then a PC ODE at Poplar Park all planned out. She's got the summer I think, although she's been typically vague- I'm never sure how someone so ridiculously organised can be quite as daffy on the surface!

Another great report. I should think there will be lots of offers for Reggie.

Thank you :) I hope so- his only 'things' are he prefers living out with a friend, he's never been in a trailer and we don't want him to hunt. But aside from that he's very easy going and sweet and we'll always be willing to help a new person get to know and understand him :)

Last edited:

Lolo

Visit site
Well done!! And how exciting for Al. Totally the right decision for Reg (not that it'd matter if anyone thought otherwise, but no sense taking him to do something he doesn't want to do!). Will you keep up the reports from her new yard?

Yes, as long as she wants me to! Currently she prods me into action and tells me what happened and then I turn that into a coherent thing for her :D Now we just have to find the right person... Needle in a haystack?!

what a great day at isleham!! smokey is improving each time i see a vid of him! sounds like the perfect solution for reg, he will love it and your only loaning so will always be able to assure his future. its a brilliant opportunity for al and def the right thing to take it!

Yes, loaning with lots of regular checks on him- he's too loved by all of us to not have frequent cuddles! And Smokes is really understanding the eventing lark now, and it was so nearly a DC, but now they have a nice bit of homework for the next event :)

Great report as always Lolo. Love the bit about Smoke having a lot of opinions. I did get confused about why Reg's SJ was confusing though. A massive well done to Al and Reg on the 3rd place. They have changed so much in the past couple of years. I am sure his new loaner would have a fab time with him and he will teach them a lot. Lovely 'wedding pics' and wow, what an amazing opportunity for Al. I'm sure she will be great. Good luck to her. :) x

Ahh, confusion was because Isleham is Al and Reg's bogey event. It marked the start of their confidence loss and where he started stopping, and it was only last year they actually completed the event after 4 years of trying. And their SJ score there is always double figures! So only 1 measley pole AND a rosette is very much unheard of :D

Thank you :)

TarrSteps

Visit site
Congrats to Al on the results but mostly on the job. I'm so glad it's coming together for her. Hard work and a good attitude IS rewarded in the horse world because anyone who is successful owes that at least partially to the people who taught them and gave them opportunities and they will pay forward to a deserving young person. It takes a lot of slogging, some lucky breaks, and often a push at the right time. Well done Al for moving out of her comfort zone and stepping up her game. Best of luck to her!

Last edited:

Lolo

Visit site
Echo all the above. Have always liked Reg, cool name for a start and can see someone having a lot of fun with him. How brilliant to do that photo shoot, what a babe. V exciting news on the job front for Al and good luck.

"what a babe" sums him up perfectly :D He's been asked to do another shoot with Al on Tuesday for the photographer's portfolio so he's practically pro now ;) Autographs available upon request! Thank you :)

How exciting. One of my friends has just started working there too :)

I am a little disappointed as I thought this thread was going to be about my ex-horse Reggie who had a win for his new owner today, but I'll let you off as they're all so cute!

It's a lovely place, Al misses it a lot. Oh, your lovely coloured? Well done- a good weekend for all Reggies :D

Super Reg!

Massive congratulations to Al on the job too - how exciting for her :) As for finding Reg a loan home, it seems like a no-brainer if you can - ideal situation. Good luck!

Thank you :D He agrees that he is very super! Hopefully someone else will think he's super too.

Lolo

Visit site
Well done to Al and Reg - and Smokes as well. Al's new job sounds like a great opportunity, shame about Reg but it sounds like right decision to make and i'm sure they'll be no lack of takers for him.

Thank you, it really is. She loved it this winter, and I suppose if you can love working with horses in the depths of winter you can love it most of the time!

Congratulations both on the frilly, and on the new job! :) I gotta say though, those videos made me a bit seasick! ;)

Mum doesn't have good enough eyes to watch them on the screen so videos by feel more than sight :D Once you're used to it it's fine but until then it's a little bit tricky! And thank you :)

Congrats :) fingers crossed for a new person for reg xxx

Thank you!

bananas_22

Visit site
Fantastic progress, result and job offer! Well done to Team Reggie - another case of dedication and hard work paying off so deservedly :)

EveningStar

Visit site
Well done to Al and Reg - I'm so impressed with his SJ! From resident pole-basher to cool, calm and collected. Al should be super proud! He is a real dude - sounds like totally the right decision and I'm sure you'll find the perfect loan home for him.

Smokes is such a cool baby, he looks like he just loves his job

Congrats to Al on the job - what an opportunity :D

Lolo

Visit site
Congrats to Al on the results but mostly on the job. I'm so glad it's coming together for her. Hard work and a good attitude IS rewarded in the horse world because anyone who is successful owes that at least partially to the people who taught them and gave them opportunities and they will pay forward to a deserving young person. It takes a lot of slogging, some lucky breaks, and often a push at the right time. Well done Al for moving out of her comfort zone and stepping up her game. Best of luck to her!

Thank you :) We're very proud of her!

Fantastic progress, result and job offer! Well done to Team Reggie - another case of dedication and hard work paying off so deservedly :)

Thank you, it's taken 4 years but Reg has found his mojo eventing and really enjoys it now :) I keep mentioning the 4 years bit because it was an epic slog and in light of recent posts it feels a bit like I want to point out that Al is ever so lucky to have him now, but 4 years ago he was a lunatic and she spent a lot of time crying.

Well done to Al and Reg - I'm so impressed with his SJ! From resident pole-basher to cool, calm and collected. Al should be super proud! He is a real dude - sounds like totally the right decision and I'm sure you'll find the perfect loan home for him.

Smokes is such a cool baby, he looks like he just loves his job

Congrats to Al on the job - what an opportunity :D

They've got so much more confidence with poles now- I think poles are like lions... If you show them you're scared they'll attack, but if you're confident they won't :D

Smokes loves it, he is such a teacher's pet!

Rosiefan

Visit site
Congratulations team Al - it was a lovely event and that ditch was causing so many problems. As for the job, amazing opportunity and very well deserved :)

Carefreegirl

Visit site
Love your description of Reg's Dressage :biggrin3:

As for the job offer - she would be mad not to take it. Infact I'd come and slap her round the head with a wet fish if she didn't. Im rather jealous :smile3:

Lolo

Visit site
Congratulations team Al - it was a lovely event and that ditch was causing so many problems. As for the job, amazing opportunity and very well deserved :)

If Smokes had had a moment there it would have been completely forgiveable as well, there's just no reason for Reg to be such a tit- he's jumped it so many times! It was a lovely event, one of our favourites :)

Love your description of Reg's Dressage :biggrin3:

As for the job offer - she would be mad not to take it. Infact I'd come and slap her round the head with a wet fish if she didn't. Im rather jealous :smile3:

He is a far cry from the stressy nutter who needed two long warm ups and a fair amount of hope he once was. I always joke about how he is almost the opposite of the ex-racer stereotype but Al recently reminded me that not long ago he fitted it to a tee.

And yes, we could all form an orderly queue with our various slapping implements! Smokes will love it- we think that he's fairly convinced he's on a camping holiday at the moment as he lives in the hay barn (only him and Reg aren't greedy enough to stage a great escape to eat said hay, and Reg has his stable that no one else goes in!) and spends most of his time outside...

j1ffy

Visit site
OMG I think I tried that dress on, or one very very like it! I only tried it to see what a really big puffy dress would be like (it would have been too hot for my Spanish wedding) but I did say at the time that it would look great on horseback :D

Anyway, to the serious stuff - Smokes looks fab and Reg looks very happy. I'm sure you're making the right decision, tough as it will be for all.

Lolo

Visit site
OMG I think I tried that dress on, or one very very like it! I only tried it to see what a really big puffy dress would be like (it would have been too hot for my Spanish wedding) but I did say at the time that it would look great on horseback :D

Anyway, to the serious stuff - Smokes looks fab and Reg looks very happy. I'm sure you're making the right decision, tough as it will be for all.

It was handmade and HUGE, absolutely terrifying unleashing it near a horse! Smokes would have not been impressed at all :D And also half drowned, thank goodness Reg is quite so tall.

Thank you :) Very tough, but Al's not going til the end of August so lots of time to find the perfect loaner for him. Hopefully someone will come forwards who wants a gentle giant like him :)

PolarSkye

Visit site
I love, love, love reading your posts . . . and now that my boy is out of action for the foreseeable, I'll be living through you even more vicariously :). Very well done for the weekend and what a stonkingly beautiful picture of Al and Reg :).

P

PolarSkye

Visit site
Which makes this bit all the harder to have decided. Al has been asked back to where she did her WP stint as a full time groom. She can take a horse, but it'll be proper paid employment and her ideal career path- she loved her time there and this is such an enormous opportunity she would be mental to say no. But she can take one horse, and Reg would absolutely hate it there. So she's made the exceptionally tough decision to find him a loan home where he can continue being the best schoolmaster and happy hack you'd wish to meet. They'll be carefully vetted and have to be local enough that Team Reggie can check in for cuddles and kisses regularly, and there's no rush so he'll only go to the perfect home for him. If no one suitable turns up then he'll stay at home and join the retired boys club on the big fields, bit we'd rather he kept having fun with someone!

Please no comments on this decision, it's been made now after weeks of agonising.

No comments? Can I not say very well done Al and good boy Reggie for being such a superstar. I am sure he will find a lovely loaner . . . and, if not, a well deserved retirement will do him the world of good . . . so there!

P