Team Reggie: Smokes is no longer pointless!

Lolo

Visit site
On Saturday, Al and Smokes headed off to Stratford Hills BE90 for another bash at a BE event. Smokes was deeply excited at the prospect of going to a party…

BqESSeECAAAE7oh.jpg

I swear he’s the snooziest pony around. He spends most of his life curled up having a nap, so when Al gets on he’s the Duracell bunny with enough energy to spend the entire ride bouncing!

She finally managed to rouse him and he settled himself in the lorry for another nice long nap. Al spent the lorry journey reading some more of the books she’s got about PMA and all that- slow going as she doesn't really have time for sitting and reading but I think she’s finding them interesting when she does get the chance.

The dressage warm up was not a Smokes-friendly place. He gets quite unsettled in crowded areas, and really dislikes horses coming close to him. He always wants to try as hard as he can but just can’t focus because he gets worried and upset. Despite the warm up being very busy though he held it together really well and managed to keep his calm hat on, and he did a lovely test.

[youtube]1GpGr34kVEc[/youtube]
There’s so much more to come still, and lots of marks to pick up as he becomes more established. He is a very, very clever pony! He got a 36, which was about mid-section J

The SJ warm up had a similar issue, but Smokes still managed to keep his cool. The SJ was causing absolute carnage- it was a course that required you get it right and then keep the horse absolutely straight and forwards. A lot of the distances were a little bit long so you had to be really forwards but they came off quite tight lines. Al is not a confident SJ’er but Smokes really really tries for her. She went in and rode what I reckon was one of the best rounds I‘ve ever seen from her. They make it look absolutely easy, and they were rewarded with a clear. Smokes looked really confident and Al did too.

[youtube]QgAPCIPH1pA[/youtube]
I do enjoy the jockey looking back in disbelief after the last fence, then double checking before breaking into possibly the widest smile I’ve ever seen!

Finally they went off the the XC. The day had been such a resounding success already Al was already on Cloud 9. The XC was causing its fair share of problems, with lots of full up fences one after another. Each fence individually was fine, but the cumulative effort combined with the hills was causing lots of tired stops. Al took it very steadily with Smokes and he did a really confident and happy clear and finished full of bounce and go. They got 10.8 time penalties, but next time Al knows that she can push on just that little more and he will be able to give.

The time penalties cost them 5[SUP]th[/SUP] place but that doesn't really matter. It was a brilliant day out for them both, and their confidence together just keeps growing. And he is now the owner of a lovely shiny foundation point, and an ego the size of Wales :D

Next up is a well-deserved week off for them both, and Al is jetting off to Greece for a chilled out holiday with her best friend. Smokes is going to spend the week sunbathing too, enjoying not being woken up every morning! After that they’re doing the 90cm ODE at Burghley and then potentially the BE90 at Carlton. If both of those go well then Al might consider an unaffiliated 1m class for them. But that’s very much dependent on how he feels. Part of his scope and bounce is in his self-confidence and not setting him up to do anything but succeed or learn from happily.

Oh, and if anyone can offer Al top tips on perfect quarter marks she is all ears. The last two weekends she's been a travelling groom for where she worked this winter and has loved every second, but needs to perfect her turn out techniques!

I have nothing to offer to the readers of this essay… I’m currently into my 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] show in as many weeks as part of the tech crew and I have no food at home, unless anyone fancies some mouldy bread and Pimms!

Rosiefan

Visit site
I'll pass on the mouldy bread thanks but yes please to a long cool Pimms :).
What can I say? Al is getting it so right in my opinion (I don't know much about eventing but I know what I like) and they look so good together that just 1 FP seems inadequate. If she keeps on doing more of the same I shall expect a BE100 report before very long.

khalswitz

Visit site
Well done Al and Smokes!! Looks like it's really coming together - and they look like a better and more grown up partnership every time we see them :). This little man has so much to give her, it's so exciting :) He is going to BLOSSOM when they head off for Al's groom job together.

Can't help with turnout as am even worse at turnout than I am at riding I'm afraid... But hope Al has a fab time in Greece, and you get fed ;)

PolarSkye

Visit site
I keep saying it, but I just love Smokes . . . he has really gelled with Al and they make a wonderful partnership.

Please keep the updates coming :).

P

kassieg

Visit site
they look fab !!

I saw the big yellow oxer in the left of the video & i was like that is not 90 !!! was so glad when she didnt jump it or i would never do a 90 again haha

Lolo

Visit site
Ha - can't you stow away on the Greece trip?!

I wish!

I'll pass on the mouldy bread thanks but yes please to a long cool Pimms :).
What can I say? Al is getting it so right in my opinion (I don't know much about eventing but I know what I like) and they look so good together that just 1 FP seems inadequate. If she keeps on doing more of the same I shall expect a BE100 report before very long.

Thank you :) I have also passed on the mouldy bread- apparently cutting off the green bits doesn't make it less mouldy... I hope there will be one, he's enjoying himself so much now, he really understands the questions. He's a natural show off too which helps!

Very much in the spirit of all round good egg Smokies * * * * * 5 stars for horse and rider

Thank you, he is very much a good egg!

nikicb

www.facebook.com
What a lovely report, as always! Smokes is looking great, however I could provide a contender for the snooziest horse competition. ;)

That SJ round was awesome. I don't recall seeing them so fluent before (other than the quick gawp at the sign). He looked totally locked on to all the jumps. And congratulations on the shiny point! Good luck for Burghley, and Suziq77 is fab on showing tips. :) x

dianchi

Visit site
Well done!

Quarter marks tip....... I use quick braid for plaiting, spray over quarters, light brush in hair direction, place on marker and brush firm down (90* angle). Smudge edges when you take marker off so doesn't look too "made"
When doing second side, make sure your high enough up to see so you can match up the markings.

I'm pretty sure Louise bell did some grooming vids on tube which shows how do to shark tooth ones too!

This vid.....
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_S_zCHBCGng

Lolo

Visit site
Well done Smokey. He did try in the show jumping, and it was very well ridden too. So proud of them both!

Al's SJ instructor always says "what a trier" when Smokes does something, because he never fails to make the extra effort to clear a fence or make a distance and it's become a bit of a catchphrase now! Thank you, she's been working very hard recently.

Well done Al and Smokes!! Looks like it's really coming together - and they look like a better and more grown up partnership every time we see them :). This little man has so much to give her, it's so exciting :) He is going to BLOSSOM when they head off for Al's groom job together.

Can't help with turnout as am even worse at turnout than I am at riding I'm afraid... But hope Al has a fab time in Greece, and you get fed ;)

He is becoming a little star, I really hope he keeps enjoying it like he does now because he is improving so much. Al is so excited about going back, and Smokes loves living there so it's going to be good!

She's been practising on the ever-tolerant Reggie, and is slowly working it out. Disadvantage of having a much older sister growing up is that I could do both our ponies in the time it took her to bunch the mane up, and we never got out of the habit even when she was older!

They're looking really fabulous together now - well done to them both! :)

Thank you, they're becoming a proper team and Smokes is growing in confidence so much. He loved the XC!

Lolo

Visit site
I keep saying it, but I just love Smokes . . . he has really gelled with Al and they make a wonderful partnership.

Please keep the updates coming :).

P

He's too cute to not be loved by all- although Reg does a good job of not! Smokes' "perfect peter" routine gets on Reg's wick no end :D

they look fab !!

I saw the big yellow oxer in the left of the video & i was like that is not 90 !!! was so glad when she didnt jump it or i would never do a 90 again haha

I know, I did my best "eek!" face when I saw it too! Thank you, he's becoming a proper eventing pony now rather than a little lunatic :D

What a lovely report, as always! Smokes is looking great, however I could provide a contender for the snooziest horse competition. ;)

That SJ round was awesome. I don't recall seeing them so fluent before (other than the quick gawp at the sign). He looked totally locked on to all the jumps. And congratulations on the shiny point! Good luck for Burghley, and Suziq77 is fab on showing tips. :) x

Think it must come with the grey gene, an endless desire to curl up and have a nap! As soon as Al gets on he bounces and boings almost constantly- when he was at the yard and was in for most of the day it was even worse because he had a huge stable with a nice deep bed, so didn't even need to find a comfy patch. At least when he's out he can expend some energy finding the best place for his next snooze...

Lolo

Visit site
Well done!

Thank you :)

Well done!

Quarter marks tip....... I use quick braid for plaiting, spray over quarters, light brush in hair direction, place on marker and brush firm down (90* angle). Smudge edges when you take marker off so doesn't look too "made"
When doing second side, make sure your high enough up to see so you can match up the markings.

I'm pretty sure Louise bell did some grooming vids on tube which shows how do to shark tooth ones too!

This vid.....
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_S_zCHBCGng

Thank you! Brilliant tips, Al has been watching the video and is beginning to get the knack now. Reg has never been so smart looking :D

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Lovely report, go go smokes!

For the turnout help, the key is in the preparation. Make sure the coat is spotlessly clean!

My routine is either bath or hot cloth the day before (or if I'm super organised a couple of days before), hot clothing the key is less in what you add to the water but more in that the water has to be almost unbearably hot!
Once I'm done and whilst the horse is still damp apply your coat shine/oil/shine product etc and then set the coat with a body brush. Allow horse to dry before using a lycra body suit to keep all dust out and keep the coat flat. Now this might not seem an obvious answer to the question of quarter marks, but I've found that if you get the coat just right, applying the marks will be much easier and they will look far better.

Onto the actual marks, I find a damp cloth wiped over the quarters is enough to get them to 'stick', then depending on what the animal is (so whether your putting flashes, checkers, V's etc) you'll need a body brush with short and very close bristles or a comb and then it's just practice to get them in the right place and having a steady hand is always helpful! Making sure to make them stand out by applying them at 90 degrees to the direction of the hair, and with flashes (or hunter stripes not sure what they're called I have an over grown show pony lol) make sure you finish them with a brush underneath to give a straight edge.

Sharks teeth are very much practice makes perfect! Getting the angle right with your upwards stroke is sharp against the downwards stroke, keeping the skin taut so you don't get wrinkles (or is this just a veteran problem?) and then again finishing with a nice line on the bum to create a straight edge.

I generally don't bother with hair spray, but would spray a little coat shine over the top to highlight and you're all done.

Not sure how helpful all that is, as most is practice and the preparation of the coat, also it's much easier to get a good result on a darker coloured horse...

x x

bexcy-bee

Visit site
Only just seen this update...

Sooooo happy for Al (and smokes of course :) ) such fab fab news!! He's looking so good, and better every time I see a video!! They really look like a great partnership, and I hope smokes will continue to work hard for her :)

As for the quarter markings, my biggest tip, DONT use the horrible quarter marking sheets, they never give a nice finish IMO. Instead, get a selection of cheap combs (from pound land for example) and cut them all to different lengths, to cover the sizes for all the different horses. Spray the area with hairspray and, run the comb downwards (towards the tail) on their bum in squares, each square obviously starting at the one beforehands corner, that way you make it the shape and size you want.

Then get a hair brush, and brush (I think we used to call then sharks teeth) lines along the thigh/stifle area, towards the bottom of the tail. I used to show with my coloured before smokes and these never failed to win me points :)

If I haven't explained that very well, let me know and I can try and get some photos of a video of it!

Bexcy-bee x

alwaysbroke

Visit site
Well done to Al and Smokes, that looked a lovely round.
Smokes and D would get on well, every time we go to get D out to do some wok he is flat out snoring, Mini hates disturbing him:)
Hope Al has a lovely holiday

Lolo

Visit site
Lovely report, go go smokes!

For the turnout help,...

Thank you! I think she's getting the knack of it, just lots of practice needed now :)

Only just seen this update...

Sooooo happy for Al (and smokes of course :) ) such fab fab news!! He's looking so good, and better every time I see a video!! They really look like a great partnership, and I hope smokes will continue to work hard for her :)

As for the quarter markings, my biggest tip...

Bexcy-bee x

He's such a poppet, everyone loves him- especially Al's instructors! Years of Reg saying no, having Smokes as a proper teacher's pet is a massive relief to them :D They're really developing a close bond now, and it's really rewarding for her to build that up with him. I'm going home soon for a little bit and hopefully I'll get lots of photos of them together :)

Well done to Al and Smokes, that looked a lovely round.
Smokes and D would get on well, every time we go to get D out to do some wok he is flat out snoring, Mini hates disturbing him:)
Hope Al has a lovely holiday

Al would hate disturbing Smokes more if he wasn't such a loony after a nice nap :D They could be cute snoozy ponies together! How is D? I haven't seen you on here for ages, I hope he's still polishing his halo!