Team Reggie: Smokey goes to Burghley! An odd day out...

Lolo

Visit site
Odd because every time we say how he went people commiserate and we're all standing there singing Smoke's praises for all we're worth :D

The day started early. 4am early. I am a student, this is not a time I tend to wake up to- fall sleep to/ glance at as it passes sure, but not wake up to. We vaguely scrubbed him and checked he had all four legs before pointing him towards the lorry. Luckily he's as snoozy as we were and it was a half asleep Team Reggie that trundled off to Burghley.

Al was the very first on, which was nice as it meant she had pretty much the entire warm up to herself, and Smokes settled really nicely. They've been working really hard at home in getting him to really seek the contact and stretch and soften and he's producing a really lovely trot now. His canter is still a bit too big for him to find his balance but it's slowly coming on. He tries so so hard and improves in every session :)

[youtube]sPmq_8PQ6VA[/youtube]
Here is the test, Al focussed on keeping him really calm and soft, and letting him really show his new trot off but trying to keep the canter really forwards rather than worrying about how elegant it looks. He really tried, and it was the best test he's ever done.

10511204_10204372755426080_3746169505844746761_n.jpg

10489972_10204372761986244_5431688160259753161_n.jpg

1610754_10204372760706212_2336671376456434278_n.jpg

(he's got a bit too much oomph behind, and it can get a bit all on the forehand so Al really aimed to keep him up and forwards)

He got lots and lots of pats and polos when he came out, and was very pleased with himself!
10442543_10204372767186374_205579177426347729_n.jpg

Amazingly he scored a brilliant 33.6, which left him 4th after the dressage in a class of 35!

Al set off for the SJ and he was a bit worried in the warm up- the rain left the ground a tiny bit greasy and he was slipping a bit. She kept it very simple and he went into the arena looking really confident. He did one of the nicest rounds I think I've seen from them, he was meeting the fences really nicely and keeping a good rhythm. Until fence 9. He saw the optical illusion filler and it really spooked him :( He's not the naughty stop type, and he was really freaked out by it and so had three stops. Al suddenly had the idea to show him the landing side, tried again and he did a very big jump keeping an eye on the fence right until he landed. BUT he landed and came straight back to Al and moved really happily on so Al let him keep that and jumped the last fence. It was very naughty of her and she apologised to the SJ judge when she came out- she just didn't want to tell him not to keep going when for the past year if something's gone wrong he's been really worried for the rest of the round. So while they got the big E, there were lots of big smiles too.

[youtube]ha-QAYlKw9U[/youtube]
Video of the round- the course was very twisty and spooky, and he was so brave.

And some photos... I think he finds 90cm a bit big?
10492495_10204372780986719_5539397573506191998_n.jpg

10494758_10204372787986894_7901954188150155216_n.jpg

10385373_10204372790346953_7403205027582460280_n.jpg

10380964_10204372805187324_4051541890887896759_n.jpg

(super spooky fence!)
10544383_10204372811267476_6626670110957009647_n.jpg

And so Al ran off to beg the organisers to let her run XC, and Smokes busied himself pulling a shoe off while standing still. Mum then legged it off to the farrier while Smokes stood with his hoof held slightly pathetically high, having a doze. The shoe was put back on and Al was given permission to run XC if she promised that she would pull up if he felt remotely unhappy, and if she was pulled up she would stop straight away. This is Al's general approach anyway so having said thank you about a hundred times she got to the warm up. Meanwhile, I'd been slowly turning green as problem after problem occurred... Al had said the course was quite stiff, and as ever she was queen of the understatement!

Smokes set off really happily, with his standard keen bean face on, and flew round. Al finished the course grinning from ear to ear she was so pleased with him, he really understood every single question, locked on and tried his absolute hardest. They did a textbook clear round!

[youtube]Jxj_34ZPg7M[/youtube]
Smokes in action...

And some of my rather shaky photos- FB has made them look oddly grainy...
10432093_10204372817787639_7057271642974439185_n.jpg

10523203_10204372819307677_5485412068681353801_n.jpg

10552493_10204372823347778_8040447260365083755_n.jpg

10518652_10204372826787864_3653785576950231950_n.jpg

1902888_10204372827547883_7497834462724453943_n.jpg

And what Smokey thinks of this eventing malarkey...
10494712_10204372833348028_7142341207825037717_n.jpg

He would have been inside the time as he came in 30 seconds after the previous person, who got something like 4 time penalties.

So that's the most epic report I've written in a while, but I think little White Smoke deserved his praises singing a bit- he takes Reg's shadow quite a lot, and today he really shone. Rhubarb vodka for those who trekked on through, and maybe some brownies if we've left any over (unlikely!)...

JFTDWS

Visit site
They look amazing - such a shame about the evil fence of doom, but otherwise a massively encouraging run! :)

Old Bat

Visit site
Lovely report and Al rides him so well.....it sounds and looks as though it was a really confidence building outing so fair play to them both. Looking like a lovely partnership.

MyBoyChe

Visit site
How do you make rhubarb vodka? Love rhubarb

PS fab report, I love reading them, you guys have such a fabulous attitude and some seriously nice horses x

ahml100

Visit site
Such a shame about the SJ but a massive congratulations on the dressage and xc! Hope your next run goes well!

Farcical1

Visit site
My riding club also have that black and white filler; my horse is really not convinced it won't jump up and eat her! We have some problems with it!
Funnily enough, the same pattern but in green and blue is no problem? Strange indeed.
Looks like a good run, despite the bogey fence.

Firewell

Visit site
I have goose pimples looking at the photos and videos, they look so fantastic together.
That filler is horrid. We had it at the place I did my RC clinics and if any filler is going to cause a problem it's that one! I had the foresight to show it to J before the first time I jumped it and even though he didn't stop I did still have to use a bit of leg the first time we came into it!
You can see in Smokeys face he is genuinely confused by it when he's sniffing it! He's being careful, doesn't want to jump your sister into trouble over something he doesn't understand clever boy.
They look an amazing team :).

pootleperkin

Visit site
Bless him with that fence - he really couldn't understand it! He is making a lovely shape over a fence.....makes me long for my jumping pony to be sound (off with a 'minor' collateral ligament strain, but seems to be taking ages) and G is currently wrapped in cotton wool on BD only duty. Smokes is turning into a proper eventing pony! :D

khalswitz

Visit site
He just looks awesome these days!!! Becoming a XC machine like good old reg :) shame about the E, but nicely handled from Al and sounds like he didn't hold a grudge so all in all a nice confidence builder!! :)

Rosiefan

Visit site
Smokes and Al are definitely going places, what a team! Fab dressage, SJ hiccups are to be expected now and then but the XC clear must have cheered Team Smokes hugely. Just brilliant :)

Lolo

Visit site
They look amazing - such a shame about the evil fence of doom, but otherwise a massively encouraging run! :)

It was a shame, but he's so genuine that when he was stopping Al knew he was properly scared. He tried so hard not to be- he razzed himself up round the corner and about 2 strides away lost all bravery and said no :( Poor pony! He was amazing though if you ignore that one fence!

Lovely report and Al rides him so well.....it sounds and looks as though it was a really confidence building outing so fair play to them both. Looking like a lovely partnership.

It was really good, Al said he hadn't felt so ready and calm ever which is especially nice- he gets white tense and bright at shows so to have the enthusiasm without the worry was lovely :) She loves riding him, apparently you can't not be in a good position!

How do you make rhubarb vodka? Love rhubarb

PS fab report, I love reading them, you guys have such a fabulous attitude and some seriously nice horses x

Mum has big kilner jars, then has about 300g rhubarb, 150g sugar and then fills the jar with vodka and gives it a slosh every day for a while. We drink it with tonic water, it's yummy!

Al is very lucky with her horses, they're all scrappy TBs who've scrubbed up well! Smokes is a proper rags to riches story :)

Lolo

Visit site
Such a shame about the SJ but a massive congratulations on the dressage and xc! Hope your next run goes well!

It was a pity, but it was causing carnage even in the bigger classes with eliminations and poles galore so it isn't a worry. And thank you, I think they're heading to Carlton BE90!

Thank You
:)

Thank you!

My riding club also have that black and white filler; my horse is really not convinced it won't jump up and eat her! We have some problems with it!
Funnily enough, the same pattern but in green and blue is no problem? Strange indeed.
Looks like a good run, despite the bogey fence.

Smokes is a bit iffy over black and white fences generally so one that moved about as he approached was a step too far for his nerves! He's so brave normally but this was just a bit too much. Once he'd had a proper look and put his head over the fence he was happy to have a go! It was a very good run- one fence out of about 40 caused a problem, which is good going really ;)

Lolo

Visit site
I have goose pimples looking at the photos and videos, they look so fantastic together.
That filler is horrid. We had it at the place I did my RC clinics and if any filler is going to cause a problem it's that one! I had the foresight to show it to J before the first time I jumped it and even though he didn't stop I did still have to use a bit of leg the first time we came into it!
You can see in Smokeys face he is genuinely confused by it when he's sniffing it! He's being careful, doesn't want to jump your sister into trouble over something he doesn't understand clever boy.
They look an amazing team :).

Al wanted to show him it, but they had 250 competitors to get through and the bell was ringing when the gate shut so she only just had enough time to get the right canter going on which was a shame. Hopefully next time he comes across something similar he'll remember how he wasn't eaten by it previously- he's a bright spark so I'm fairly hopeful!

They've developed a really strong partnership now, he trusts Al to give him good instructions and she trusts him to follow them which makes a much more harmonious image. He's also stopped rocket launching over fences, preferring to keep a standard amount of overjump each time...

What a lovely report! They are such a great partnership :)

Thank you, they really have become one over the past few months :)

Bless him with that fence - he really couldn't understand it! He is making a lovely shape over a fence.....makes me long for my jumping pony to be sound (off with a 'minor' collateral ligament strain, but seems to be taking ages) and G is currently wrapped in cotton wool on BD only duty. Smokes is turning into a proper eventing pony! :D

I wish Smokes had just a bit more bone, as he would be a fantastic working hunter pony (without shoes I think he'd measure at 153cm)- he's got lovely paces and manners, nice confo and jumps like a stag!

I hope your pony heals up soon, and G keeps himself nicely in one piece for his big outing!

Well done Team Smokey!! He just seems to keep getting better and better. xx

Thank you, he is growing in confidence so quickly! His ego is growing along with his confidence, but he's little and bright and funny so a massive ego fits in nicely :D

rising_promise

Visit site
He's starting to look really smart on the flat now and definitely more settled in his jumping. Bet Al is really excited about the future with him :)

EveningStar

Visit site
Well done Smokey and Al, the dressage is really getting there and they make the xc look far too easy!
Bless him, you could see that was a real 'huh?' stop and he just didn't understand what it was about - he is a fabulous jumper, makes such a nice shape

Lolo

Visit site
He just looks awesome these days!!! Becoming a XC machine like good old reg :) shame about the E, but nicely handled from Al and sounds like he didn't hold a grudge so all in all a nice confidence builder!! :)

Once he'd put his head over it (they had an XC lesson with Tina and realised if he is spooked by something, if you can get him to look over it he'll jump it) he was ok, he was just really spooked and couldn't work it out. He really is, every outing he seems to have learnt a bit more and worked it out. They had an amazing lesson the other week where things really clicked for him too, and for the first time ever Al was teacher's pet! Well, Smokes was- Al got to bask in his reflected glory ;)

bless him lovely lad :)

well done all!xxx

Thank you :) He's slowly discovering his inner dressage diva, and really enjoys it- keep telling Al he wants some bling, but she just gives me her death glare :D

Well done Al and Smokey. Poor guy obviously found that fence very scary.

Yes, he was really scared. Al said it's so hard to judge with him what he needs, because really forwards riding only rushes how spooked he is but equally if she gets it right it's often enough to make him realise she's not going to put him in danger. This time he needed to work that out alone though, and still had to make the leap with his eyes closed!

Fabulous and what brilliant pictures :biggrin3:

Thank you! He's a ****** to take photos of when it's sunny because his white patches glow but his dark patches don't and he ends up looking overexposed. I love the one of him over the pimple fence, because Al's face is so happy- that was the point she realised he had twigged how to be an XC pony. It was a hayrack, then 3 forward strides to the pimple and he locked on and went beautifully through without a hint of wobble :)

Lolo

Visit site
Smokes and Al are definitely going places, what a team! Fab dressage, SJ hiccups are to be expected now and then but the XC clear must have cheered Team Smokes hugely. Just brilliant :)

So much, and it was virtually a double clear anyway ;) If it hadn't been for the super spooky fence 9, he'd have won! So everyone is very very proud of him. He's going to Carlton BE90 next week, first on in his section so a very early start :O

More positives than negatives! onwards and upwards, they look to be forming a lovely partnership!

So many more- he jumped something like 35/36 fences perfectly first time, and the one he didn't he jumped really well once he'd assessed it properly and declared it safe! Thank you :)

why can't I see videos?! :(

:( I don't know! Umm, might have an out of date thing running on your laptop- Shockwave or similar?

https://www.youtube.com/user/SomethingsUp55
They're the first few on here, if that works...

Showjumper17

Visit site
Gorgeous horse! I was actually just a few behind you at this event, I remember admiring him in the dressage! Well done for getting him round- I had a stop at that fence too- but the XC rode like a dream. Such a great venue!

Lolo

Visit site
He's starting to look really smart on the flat now and definitely more settled in his jumping. Bet Al is really excited about the future with him :)

Very excited, but she's also just really enjoying him now too. She's finding the idea of being competitive great fun, and is taking the time to let each level become very easy before asking anything more.

I found a video of them jumping this time last year and he's a different pony completely. Much less scary to watch!

He is such a dude . . . love, love, love him :).

P

Thank you! He is definitely a dude :D

Well done and lovely pics. Brownies, pls.

Mum swirls philidelphia mixed with sugar into them and they are the best brownies ever. Thank you!

Gorgeous horse! I was actually just a few behind you at this event, I remember admiring him in the dressage! Well done for getting him round- I had a stop at that fence too- but the XC rode like a dream. Such a great venue!

It's a small world! Thank you, it really suited him going first because it was much quieter. That fence caught quite a few out, even in the bigger classes- think coming off that turn from 8 never gave them the chance to really get their heads round it maybe? Everyone is so lucky to be able to compete there, it's beautiful and really well organised. We've been every year for the past few years, but that will be our last time as Al is jetting off to much bigger things (with Smokey in tow!), which is quite sad really. It's my favourite event.