Team Reggie: the adventures of a Small Fat Pony

Lolo

Visit site
It’s been a very long time since there was a Team Reggie update, and Al has prodded me into writing one because “things are going well”. This is the most positive I’ve ever heard her so I have leapt into action. Top sister award coming my way for sure…

The reason things have been quiet is because after years of trying, we finally managed to pack Al off out of Norfolk to the sunny skies of Northamptonshire. On a bit of a feeling brave/ stupid moment, Al plucked up the courage to ask her instructor if she knew anywhere she could be a working pupil this winter. Two weeks later she was in the back of her idol's lorry pretending very hard to be somewhat sane. And then off she went, with the Large Brown Pony in tow. Bit sudden, but very, very exciting!

Tango went with her for the first 6 weeks, mostly because Smokes was still losing the summer tummy and Al felt Tango needed a little more input before he had a very well-deserved winter holiday. He got a lot from the experience, and they began to crack the canter- he’s a slow-burn, and hopefully his 3 months off will give him lots of time to adjust to his new body (he grew 3 inches and evened up, and completely changed shape in 3 months…) and he’ll come back in January ready to continue his eventing career. His owner is very pleased with how he did this summer and has asked Al to continue his education next year. Very smiley faces, Al has a massive soft spot for his dopey kindness and he’s the perfect foil for Smoke’s complete lunacy!

1451945_10200796317489818_1642311463_n.jpg

Little bit posh, eh?

And how he finished the year: his first 80cm round, his first indoor SJ, and he was seriously brave and had one pole where it all got a bit too forwards (but as he is prone to backwards, we won't complain!):

[youtube]WYZhg9N1-Jg[/youtube]

So now Smokes is with Al, still looking very small but not very fat anymore! He’s stabled opposite the big boys on the yard, so spends a lot of time reminding them about his famous daddy as they roll their eyes and humour him :D

1003235_10200796313929729_139793762_n.jpg

Here he is, next to a 16.2hh... He is very dinky!

1455088_10200796311529669_2080156940_n.jpg

Hard work being a top eventing pony... (he is always tucked up asleep, typical teenager!)

In his time there, they’ve been working very hard on establishing a really true contact and things are beginning to click. I got a very happy text last week when he cantered properly for the first time, and he’s really beginning to mature into a proper eventing pony. He does have his mental moments and sometimes I feel he’s lucky Al has done 4 years with Reg, because when he gets into a tizz for reasons known only to him he is very frustrating. But he’s come so far in so little time that Al just keeps giving herself reality checks- after all, it took 4 years for Reg to become what he is, expecting Smokes to do it in 4 months is possibly ambitious!

1452271_10200796314889753_1916413822_n.jpg

And some videos of him schooling before he left:

[youtube]Z11PX3y4eB4[/youtube]
Al working on letting him make his mistakes... Only trouble being, he quite likes making mistakes so he gets to do his rocket launcher impression. The jumping is in a transitional phase atm, where they're finding the right balance for how much input he needs versus how much he wants!

[youtube]-fiu7aGir2M[/youtube]
And poncing, in a new place surrounded by XC fences... Clever boy :)

It is hard for Al, I think, being at such an amazing yard with such good riders surrounding her. She knew she wasn't as good as any of them (and when they get on Smokes and he ponces perfectly for them, she feels both inspired and like throttling him!) but being constantly surrounded by so many very talented riders has made her realise how hard she's going to have to work to up her game and catch up. She knows how hard she’s going to have to work to achieve what she wants to, but being surrounded by people who don’t think she’s off her head for even trying and who have been so positive about her dreams has given her a real kick to keep on slogging.

In terms of Al's living as a WP, this photo can sum it up...
BYZPR1UIMAAXjW0.jpg:large

"Lunch time"...

So while all this excitement is happening, I can hear the “Where’s Reg?” questions popping up… Al made the very difficult decision to leave him back in Norfolk this winter, to be mum’s top happy hack. He likes his life there, he’s very settled and happy, and has his routine and his friends. Between that and his physical limitations, a winter of hard work on a pro yard wouldn’t have been right for him. It was both an easy and hard decision for Al- easy because there was no other Reg-friendly option, and hard because he’s her boy and the longest she’s gone without seeing him was 5 days this summer.

He’s having a lovely time with mum though, going for leg stretches and pretending to be scared of nothing at all just for kicks. He’s a very safe hack, but he does have a wicked sense of humour! Al goes home on her day off for Reggie cuddles too- it’s hard to say who misses the other the most!

BYAggFSIYAAvdBa.jpg:large

I’m quietly excited to see what 2014 holds for Team Reggie. Al’s rag-tag team all have their challenges, but I really hope all the hard work she’s been putting in begins to pay off.

Swirlymurphy

Visit site
Lovely to get an update on Team Reggie. I haven't had a chance to watch the videos yet but it sounds like Al's period of WP-ing will be a great thing for her, and Smokey! Well done all.

humblepie

Visit site
Lovely update and sounds very good. There is nothing like working in a good yard to develop and learn and in the right place have a lot of fun too. Glad all the ponies are well.

dafthoss

Visit site
Well grey ponies are the best, obviously! Smokes is looking great, glad he's enjoying being a working pupil too, oh no sorry the best horse on the yard.

Glad reggie is still enjoying being the best hack in Norfolk with your mum.

Al's lunch looks rather similar to mine....

Prince33Sp4rkle

Visit site
super update.

i know how Al feels in a way, warming up against some really top people on flash horses and feeling mental for thinking i could do a CDI anytime soon, then being told by several people im an idiot for doubting it-it DOES makes you try even harder and dig even deeper because you feel like youve got a toe in the door, you just need to keep on pushing!

loves smokes the bestest im afraid, hes a super dude!

j1ffy

Visit site
Great to see a team Reggie update. Smokes looks gorgeous despite being the baby on the yard, and I'm sure Al isn't nearly as out-of-depth as she feels! It must be inspirational for her to be on a yard with such high standards (and presumably great coaching) - how long will she be there for?

longdog

Visit site
L was a WP for a local 4*rider for 18 months before she went to Uni. seriously hard, but so rewarding. When watching Badminton the next year, we realised she had ridden 2of the horses running! not bad for a kid of 18!
Al will gain hugely from it & it will never leave her, even if she has to eventually get a "proper" job
well done
Xx

TableDancer

Visit site
Great to have an update, and I'm so pleased it's going so well. Those sortsof stints are always both daunting and incredibly hard work, but she will learn things which will help her for the rest of her life - and not just horse stuff, either ;)

Smokes looks fab but ditto needmore donkey news - I did wonder if it was your donkey who had escaped and applied for a position on Lucinda Fredericks' yard (see her FB if you haven't seen the photos) :D

Lolo

Visit site
Lovely to get an update on Team Reggie. I haven't had a chance to watch the videos yet but it sounds like Al's period of WP-ing will be a great thing for her, and Smokey! Well done all.

She's getting a lot from it and Smokes is too, and they're really gelling now :)

Lovely update and sounds very good. There is nothing like working in a good yard to develop and learn and in the right place have a lot of fun too. Glad all the ponies are well.

Yes, she's having an amazing time both with and without the horses- it's all the little things you don't think about as well that she's picking up. Hopefully when she comes back it'll be Team Reggie a-go-go :D

Well grey ponies are the best, obviously! Smokes is looking great, glad he's enjoying being a working pupil too, oh no sorry the best horse on the yard.

Glad reggie is still enjoying being the best hack in Norfolk with your mum.

Al's lunch looks rather similar to mine....

Grey ponies definitely are, although I feel Smokes is hitting the middle ground of the 2 you have ;) Hopefully we'll see each other out and about a lot more next year too- grey pony meet ups need to occur :D

Sounds as if 2014 is going to be a good one. Al works so hard so I hope everything goes well for her. :smile3:

Thank you :)

Lolo

Visit site
Glad it's going well. :)

super update.

i know how Al feels in a way, warming up against some really top people on flash horses and feeling mental for thinking i could do a CDI anytime soon, then being told by several people im an idiot for doubting it-it DOES makes you try even harder and dig even deeper because you feel like youve got a toe in the door, you just need to keep on pushing!

loves smokes the bestest im afraid, hes a super dude!

Yep! It's pushed her on a bit- dream big and all that. No point in stressing over what she can't have, just got to make the most of what she does have which, all things considered, is rather a lot. Bit hard in practice but she can try!

Smokes cracks me up, he's such a self-assured little pony with a fiercely stubborn streak. Him and Fig are definitely cut from the same cloth!

Great to see a team Reggie update. Smokes looks gorgeous despite being the baby on the yard, and I'm sure Al isn't nearly as out-of-depth as she feels! It must be inspirational for her to be on a yard with such high standards (and presumably great coaching) - how long will she be there for?

Things are a bit unsure atm, but the current plan is to come home in January so she can get the bay boys ready for the eventing season too, although Reg is loving being a 'lady of leisure' :D I think she is very out of her depth in terms of riding and just knowing stuff, but she's considerably younger than everyone else and comes from a very different background so she always knew she was going to be out of her depth. I think it's making her push herself even harder to improve and learn so it's a good thing :D

Fab update, they all look great!
x x

Lolo

Visit site
How spooky is that ? I was only thinking about you lot this morning !

Glad things are going so well for you all :biggrin3:

Al's been poking me for a week or two now but I have pointed out that uni work takes some priority... She doesn't feel the same though :D Thank you!

That stable :eek::eek::eek: Its so CLEAN!!!!

Super Team Reggie update. you learn so much being a WP but by god its hard!

All the best to her- she deserves it.

Al is a bit OTT on her 'everything must be immaculate' which means what makes her deeply irritating to us makes her very good as a WP! She can now do 7 horses in 2 hours so she's very busy but loving it! Thank you :)

Great update! Sounds like she is having a great time and it will be a fantastic experience. Smokey looks tiny in his stable too!

He is dinky, he's got a 14.2hh body on very long legs, so when he tucks himself up in his massive rug he looks even tinier!

1468624_10200796316769800_1608962471_n.jpg

It is also a HUGE stable :D

Very lovely update, except.....where is the donkey news????!!!

Donkey is living the Thug Life at the moment, looking like a very angry ball of fluff.

1483066_10202687300930771_357753210_n.jpg

Here he is, giving his best "You talking to me?" face :D

Lolo

Visit site
What a great experience, I have to say if I came into some money I would go be a wp to learn to ride properly. Both horses look fab next season should be exciting.

She's very lucky to have got a 'winter' slot when her earning is lower so she can afford to not be earning that for a few months. She couldn't do a full year right now. Maybe in 2015, if things are right. Fingers crossed :)

L was a WP for a local 4*rider for 18 months before she went to Uni. seriously hard, but so rewarding. When watching Badminton the next year, we realised she had ridden 2 of the horses running! not bad for a kid of 18!
Al will gain hugely from it & it will never leave her, even if she has to eventually get a "proper" job
well done
Xx

Wow! That's a claim to fame :D She's learning so much, and being surrounded by so much knowledge and experience alone is amazing.

That's a super report, thanks for writing. I'm glad things are going well for team Reggie :) x

Thank you :) Can't wait for the next installment of your Cali adventures :D

Great report, looking forward to next season.

Thank you- fingers crossed it will be a good one!

Lolo

Visit site
Yay, great to see the update. Al defo is living the dream! Smokey looks great, and no doubt will go on to do great things :)

In Smokey's head he's already doing great things ;) He's such a lunatic, god love him! And yep, absolutely- she's so happy it's great to see :)

Wow, sounds like Al is having a great time!
The yard is so smart :eek3:

It's terrifyingly posh! The gallops have been much appreciated though as Smokes can be a complete tool out hacking and having a nice enclosed space to let him be a bit mental is handy :D

Lovely report - pleased things are going so well for Al and Team R. You just can't beat a Smokey :)

Definitely not :D Thank you!

Great to have an update, and I'm so pleased it's going so well. Those sortsof stints are always both daunting and incredibly hard work, but she will learn things which will help her for the rest of her life - and not just horse stuff, either ;)

Smokes looks fab but ditto needmore donkey news - I did wonder if it was your donkey who had escaped and applied for a position on Lucinda Fredericks' yard (see her FB if you haven't seen the photos) :D

Thank you :) You and TarrSteps spurred her into action on one of my reports by being very encouraging, it gave her a boost in plucking up the courage to ask.

Donks is feral atm, he's probably joined a gang and bought a gun. He's in charge of the world's biggest field with a Welsh D and a 18.2hh hunter as his minions and is most likely planning a revolution...

glamourpuss

Visit site
Lovely to hear such a fab report! I can totally understand the feeling about feeling out of your depth...when I started with my current trainer I always felt like a fraud who shouldn't be there, but now I've just found that I've raised my game to a completely new level.
I'm looking forward to hearing how 2014 pans out for team Reggie :)

EveningStar

Visit site
Yay a Team Reggie update!
Sounds like Al is having a great time at the pro yard - what a great experience for her!
Smokes & Tango are looking good, shes doing a fab job with them
Bless Reggie, bet he is loving his cruisy life at home!