Team Reggie: watch out, Al's a trucker... (and BEACH photos!)

Lolo

Visit site
It's official... As of 10:30 Thursday morning, Al has been deemed safe to be let loose on the roads with a rigid body lorry of up to 32 tonnes. Whoever deemed her safe, I'm definitely querying your mental stability right now! Nah, we're all very proud of her- she's only 19, and to be able to take on a lorry of that size after 2 days training (and 18 months of car driving experience!) and pass is pretty impressive. It was a fairly terrifying experience for her, especially have had to save and save for pretty much a year solidly to be able to afford to do it and that's money she can't lose.

With that over, yesterday she went on her first solo trucker mission to Blackwater Farm with young Tango and Reggie for some XC fun and games. Poor mum was forced to make her riding debut after a good 3 years off and ride Reg round and go into the water first. Reg did his best riding school horse impression and was an utter gentleman. When Tango had a baby stop at a fence into some woods, Reg did the most enormous sigh and rolled his eyes... (we did remind him it took nearly 3 years for him to jump ditches which Tango did straight away!)

1233511_10201991117366617_639894152_n.jpg

So what else has Tango been up to? He's been to another two dressage outingswhere he's done lovely tests only really marred by his inexperience and baby ways. Which isn't really a negative, as with every outing he gets bolder and everyone is falling for him big time! And finally, he's been to his second John Adams SJ lesson. His group mates had all lost shoes or transport, so he was lucky enough to get an individual lesson. John was very impressed by how hard he tried, and also by his jump- as he's gained confidence and experience he's got better rather than losing it.

[youtube]NO0u5whF2SM[/youtube]
Video here, with captions. I think if Al could afford weekly lessons on all 3 with John, she'd take them in an instant! He got a bit of a shock at the first filler when Al forgot she was riding a 5yo who's been properly backed for 3 months and cantered in, but once she'd stopped kicking herself and started kicking him they were flying :D

Onto Smokes, who is back in work and beginning to canter. A relief as he is now on a permanent diet, having been moved away from the stable where he found he could reach some decorative shrubs and ate nearly an entire bush. He's coming on really nicely, his topline is beginning to develop and him and Al are forming a really strong partnership. They're doing lots of polework exercises atm, which Smokey says are so dull he HAS to spice them up with flying changes and other tricks, but they are working in letting him gain slightly more control of that amazing canter!

Here's a before and after (can I just say it was serious effort on Becky's behalf to get him to where he was in the first photo from where had been that winter out on loan, and we've just done the finishing off)...

1237719_10201991165087810_121993692_n.jpg

(you can see his ribs and sticky out hip bones in the first photo, but now you'd be pressed to find ribs beneath the fat!)

And because I love how cocky and exuberant he is, a video of his first time XC schooling:

[youtube]Fajap3UYRV8[/youtube]

Finally, the main man. He's had a quiet time really, working hard at home with Al on his flatwork and also using some interesting exercises jumping to try and help him listen to Al slightly more but also own his fences. It's working well and he is very pleased with himself (as ever really... Reg is always pleased with himself as he knows he can do no wrong!)

And the best bit, a beach trip. Reg's first, and he was perfect. As ever ;)

564391_10200346929815407_355762005_n.jpg

Bear in mind Reg is 17.1hh... His field mate is a BIG horse!

1184772_10200346932895484_271190207_n.jpg

1185337_10200346933615502_713081794_n.jpg

Swimming (Reg is a sea horse!)

1174871_10200346934335520_891075515_n.jpg

Wave jumping :D

564414_10200346939055638_2036308683_n.jpg

Freg got a salty face... (my favourite I think)

1234847_10200346949015887_1848547707_n.jpg

And how much of a model could he be?

Thank you for reading!

If you're a youtube user btw, and haven't subbed to Al, please could you? She's trying to slowly build up her social media 'footprint'...

Kokopelli

Visit site
Well done for passing lorry test, she'l be unstoppable now. The boys are looking great, how big is Tango? He looks even bigger then Reg. I love how in the smokey video Al just sits nice and quiet when he's chucking his head. Such a great rider, she's going to go far. :)

TarrSteps

Visit site
Well done, Al, on the license! That is impressive and yet another testament to her work ethic. Beach pics are lovely (although the ones in the sea are a bit eek, in might of recent events!) and the one of them both looking at the camera will be a fab publicity shot. Glad to see everyone back in work and going well.

Carefreegirl

Visit site
:biggrin3: to the lorry

:biggrin3: to Tango

:biggrin3: to Smokey

:biggrin3: to Reg

Think that sums it all up ? just incase it doesn't - :biggrin3:

P.S Love the sticky out tongue pic too.

HotToTrot

Visit site
Well done, Al!! Impressive. I love that she stopped kicking herself and started kicking Tango, ha ha.

The beach must be Holkham? I have some happy memories of taking various horses there!

Lolo

Visit site
Well done for passing lorry test, she'l be unstoppable now. The boys are looking great, how big is Tango? He looks even bigger then Reg. I love how in the smokey video Al just sits nice and quiet when he's chucking his head. Such a great rider, she's going to go far. :)

Tango's 16hh, so just over a hand shorter than Reg. Considerably wider though :D

She's so pleased to have managed it- she came home exhausted from both the days training as the lorry was so big to handle. She's one of those that once she's decided she's doing something, she's going to do it and do it as well as she can! So she had doubts about passing, me and mum were quietly confident :) And that's made her smile a lot! He does it when he thinks she's interfering (aka doing anything but sitting still and admiring him, in his eyes) so she just sits quietly and lets him flid- he's slowly stopping/ accepting she sometimes knows more than him :D

Well done, Al, on the license! That is impressive and yet another testament to her work ethic. Beach pics are lovely (although the ones in the sea are a bit eek, in might of recent events!) and the one of them both looking at the camera will be a fab publicity shot. Glad to see everyone back in work and going well.

Thank you :) Splashy was just out of shot (and barely knee deep he's so tall!) so if anything had gone wrong Reg was in grabbing distance of someone. They got caught by a bigger than expected wave and Reg had to do some doggy paddling until it passed- good thing he's a water baby! I hope the HGV is a good string for her bow- she wants to eventually go on and be a working pupil and she can't offer much in experience beyond BE100 or top class horses, so she's trying to build herself up in other ways as much as possible.

It's nice having the whole yard in gear atm, although it's slightly manic as she's taking on more and more elsewhere!

Lolo

Visit site
:biggrin3: to the lorry

:biggrin3: to Tango

:biggrin3: to Smokey

:biggrin3: to Reg

Think that sums it all up ? just incase it doesn't - :biggrin3:

P.S Love the sticky out tongue pic too.

Spot on :biggrin3:

Thank you!

Well done, Al!! Impressive. I love that she stopped kicking herself and started kicking Tango, ha ha.

The beach must be Holkham? I have some happy memories of taking various horses there!

:) Yes, Holkham! It's only 30 mins or so from us so it's impressive we've not taken Reg. I think the memories of the last time Al went with her old pony, who went ballistic and nearly killed me, my horse, Al, and a Japanese tourist in one move were slightly offputting :D But more outings are definitely planned now this wninter- reg has been on cloud nine since the visit and his enthusiasm for life is almost alarming!

TarrSteps

Visit site
I hope the HGV is a good string for her bow- she wants to eventually go on and be a working pupil and she can't offer much in experience beyond BE100 or top class horses, so she's trying to build herself up in other ways as much as possible.

From what I can see she would be an asset to any yard and, if that's what she wants, I would encourage her to do it sooner rather than later. It's like going to university, it can be useful to put it off until you know what you want but if you put it off too long you can wake up one day and realise you've left it too late. If I were her, I'd start getting the word out and contacting anyone she has an interest in working with (and I mean anyone, however "unrealistic" it seems). They might not have anything now but it's always worth opening the contact and she might be surprised how helpful people can be when they come across a serious and committed young rider. You know I'm usually the voice of gloom on here ;) but I think she should aim as high as she can.

PorkChop

Visit site
What a lovely update, they are or looking and going brilliantly! Think I have a soft spot for Tango though.

Congratulations to Al for passing her HGV.

Nicnac

Visit site
HGV at 19 is impressive! She'd be a credit to any yard as a WP and agree she should 'get on it' asap. Which horse would she take though......?

Javabb94

Visit site
Well done to Al passing her test!! Sounds very scary driving a big lorry :eek3:

Al looks so happy in the waves.... Apart from the salt in his mouth ;)

TableDancer

Visit site
From what I can see she would be an asset to any yard and, if that's what she wants, I would encourage her to do it sooner rather than later. It's like going to university, it can be useful to put it off until you know what you want but if you put it off too long you can wake up one day and realise you've left it too late. If I were her, I'd start getting the word out and contacting anyone she has an interest in working with (and I mean anyone, however "unrealistic" it seems). They might not have anything now but it's always worth opening the contact and she might be surprised how helpful people can be when they come across a serious and committed young rider. You know I'm usually the voice of gloom on here ;) but I think she should aim as high as she can.

This! She would be a huge asset to any yard, they would bite her hand off, honestly! Lovely photos all round, and a lovely update :)

Lolo

Visit site

HGV at 19 is impressive! She'd be a credit to any yard as a WP and agree she should 'get on it' asap. Which horse would she take though......?

Nicnac has nailed why Al isn't applying right now- 3 horses, 1 probably won't stand to do more than she does with him and 2 are very baby still! Her plan is to slog it this winter, then start them all next season and then get applying. She has some ideas abut who she would like to work for and I think she is aiming pretty high with it. Thank you so much for your kind words- they mean a lot to Al who does has days of "What am I doing?!"!

What a lovely update, they are or looking and going brilliantly! Think I have a soft spot for Tango though.

Congratulations to Al for passing her HGV.

Thank you :) She's still bouncing! Tango is very quietly creeping into being very much liked on yard, he tries so hard. He's still unnerved by water (he doesn't get the edge of it, as once he went in he couldn't get out for a while) but each time he meets water (and we live near a ford, which helps!) he's getting more confident.

Lolo

Visit site
What a great update, huge well done to Al :)

Love the look of Tango and am very jealous of the beach pics, something I have always wanted to do:)

One of the few advantages to Norfolk living is the beautiful beaches :) Makes up for it taking an hour to get between villages!

It is a worryingly positive one-really hope my next one is the same! We're so proud of her, she just keeps going and working so hard. She now has to pay tax, which seems silly as an achievement but it means she's doing well :D

Well done to Al passing her test!! Sounds very scary driving a big lorry :eek3:

Al looks so happy in the waves.... Apart from the salt in his mouth ;)

I have it on good authority it was the scariest thing ever- apparently knowing if someone hits you they'll come off worse isn't a comfort at all!

He is hilarious at pulling faces, and that was a real moment from him- he had to have polos to console him :D

fireworks9.gif
fireworks11.gif
fireworks10.gif

C-1.jpg
LPLATE.jpg
:D
welldone.gif
:D

Will it be a 7.5 tonne lorry or bigger that she will be driving ?

For the foreseeable future, a 7.5 tonne lorry for our boys. Al says it feels like a mini after driving the enormous lorry through the streets of Norwich :D Thank you. so proud of her!

This! She would be a huge asset to any yard, they would bite her hand off, honestly! Lovely photos all round, and a lovely update :)

Thank you! She will be, and aiming as high as she can- reassuring that people other than Team Reggie think she could be ok!

nikicb

www.facebook.com
Lovely photos as usual. I don't think I know much about Tango - is he a new addition? Smokey is in great shape and looks like he works better over the slightly more challenging jumps. Great beach pictures! And fantastic on the HGV, certainly a massive achievement at 19. :) x

Lolo

Visit site
Lovely photos as usual. I don't think I know much about Tango - is he a new addition? Smokey is in great shape and looks like he works better over the slightly more challenging jumps. Great beach pictures! And fantastic on the HGV, certainly a massive achievement at 19. :) x

Tango is Al's first paying guest, which is very exciting! The lady who backed Bee had him in and backed him but hadn't the time for him and so recommended Al to his owner... It's a bit scary, but Al really rates him (and the people who didn't buy him 3 months ago when he was advertised for not much will be kicking themselves next year we hope!) :)

Smokey is better when he has to engage his enormous brain- when he's fitter and they have a few lessons under their belts they will be doing more complicated things which he will relish :D

They all look lovely! Smokey is fab, what a poppet. Reg looks like he should def be a beach model! Sports Illustrated?! :p

Is there anything Reg can't do!? (SJ doesn't count, he does it, just slightly unorthodox in his methods :D) Al is so lucky with her little gang right now, fingers crossed it continues!

At least that will keep her out of the EU driver regs if for private use only

Yep- she's swotting on that sort of thing so when the time comes that she does drive bigger lorries she'll know what she needs to do and have sorted. But for now the little Old Reliable Leyland is doing a good job of easing her into being a horsey trucker :)