Team Reggie: welcome home Al! A WP report

Lolo

Visit site
We decided against a 2013 review because it was a tricky year in many respects. But I'm going to say how proud I am of Al for dealing with everything she faced with year with grace and determination: she lost a lot, but gained so much too and conquered demons I thought were indestructible. We miss Bee terribly, but life goes on.

Al is back home, and all stations are go. Her diary is jam-packed, her first day back she was out hunting with a crowd of small children and small ponies and she’s been booked out until March by her old employers. Which is nice, as she’s skint as can be!

Her time as a WP was very well spent. Her riding has improved, her pony has improved, she got to ride some very smart horses and learn from some amazing riders. She has had her eyes opened to different branches of work that she could do, and the experience was genuinely life-changing. She’s worked hard and had a ridiculous amount of fun surrounded by like-minded people. And as you can imagine, eventers can party pretty hard ;) Her only regret is she’s not lost any weight (I blame the wine!)…

So here are some videos from her time at the yard:

[youtube]nwc1xXEFkME[/youtube]
Here, Smokes is at Herringswell and showing off how much he enjoys XC.

[youtube]oBvkjT77pQw[/youtube]

[youtube]mKp-eg_zlLM[/youtube]
And two lesson videos- one on Smokes working on him thinking about his jumps rather than being a bit cocky, and one on Zeno. The exercises with Smokes are aimed at getting him to really listen to Al after his fences and stay with her rather than pissing off on a jolly of his own choosing. It’s really coming together now with him, he’s a ridiculously clever little horse.

In the last week they went to Keysoe to use the BS course from the previous day, round a 95cm course and he was good as gold J Clever pony!

And today she schooled both boys.

Reg was first, and wasn’t really in the mood- he never really tries at home, just tucks himself on the vertical and tootles round. He does put the effort in at shows and lessons, where he really comes to life, but at home he is a bit of a lazy lump! Albeit a very pretty one :D

1618676_10203060144451626_838608718_n.jpg

1486583_10203060144971639_907274993_n.jpg

Please ignore his fluffy bits... He says no one is clipping them thank you very much, and it's really not worth the fight!

1512456_10203060146211670_1750010639_n.jpg

Smokes though, was as poncey as could be. He loves working, loves getting things right and is generally a bit of a Perfect Peter. He’s very well at the moment, full of the joys of a fresh clip and good food, and his self-expression is something to behold. Today though butter wouldn’t melt!

He’s worked quite low and round because he’s still very early on in his schooling, and as long as he’s free and forwards into the contact then Al lets him offer what he’s comfortable with- she asks him to come up at points in the session and he’s offering it more and more.

1555564_10203060152851836_1266158586_n.jpg

1527033_10203060152611830_313964071_n.jpg

1510878_10203060148131718_1411648227_n.jpg

1545153_10203060150211770_1965891574_n.jpg

1514954_10203060147451701_2049876123_n.jpg

1538852_10203060152451826_1987224196_n.jpg

68448_10203060153531853_1554818745_n.jpg

And finally, the boys now share a field. And they are utter horrors to each other- Reg winds up Smokes with pulled faces and whacky round up races, and Smokes insists on sharing Reg’s haynets! They have fun though :D

1621944_10203060156651931_1777310155_n.jpg

Yep, there's a reason the bay wears a hood but the grey doesn't!

936810_10203060159051991_427138972_n.jpg

996524_10203060160212020_1771997306_n.jpg

Pulling faces- Reg wouldn't touch Smokes, but he likes pretending!

16601_10203060160492027_892373340_n.jpg

Peace...

1069846_10203060160892037_2115976403_n.jpg

Or not! Reggie doesn't do sharing ;)

Hope you enjoyed this epic report- if anyone has any questions about what Al was up to, please ask- we don't really know what to write about it all beyond she absolutely loved every second, and after a day where of half 6 til half 6 non-stop all she could think of what they were going to do the next day. She knows this path is for her, however she decides to take it. Which is a bit scary really!

PolarSkye

Visit site
Fab report . . . best of luck to Al . . . and I absolutely LOVE the last picture of the boys - speaks volumes :).

P

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Fab report, I wondered when you were going to post about Al coming home!
The boys look fab, what are the plans for Smokes this season?

Can I be really nosy and ask who she was a WP for? Only because I am super nosy ;).

I think 2014 is going to be a fab year for you guys!!!!

x x

Polos

Visit site
It sounds like she had a nice time being a WP

Smokes looks like he is coming along nicely. The pictures of both boys schooling are really nice :)

Can I just ask why is she wearing bandages around her boots?

lex2501

Visit site
Great report thank you! Very envious of Al - I bet she has built up the most fantastic foundation over the winter and I have no doubt she will have a brilliant season with those lovely boys of hers! Keep us posted please :) :)

castella

Visit site
Wonderful photos and videos, brilliant riding and lovely horses ! Can I be cheeky and ask some advice ? I remember a while back seeing a video of smokes who would go along nicely then fling his head up occasionally (I think they were jumping) and he looks like he has got past that now and Im about to take on a new horse who does exactly that, can I ask what helped him to settle as he looks so good now :) Was he also fussy in his mouth ? as this horse really grinds his bit too but has had teeth done recently so wondering what investigations to do or if its just habit !

humblepie

Visit site
All looking good and glad she had a good time and learnt loads. There really is nothing like spending time in a decent pro yard.

DiNozzo

Visit site
I love how happy Al looks whilst she's riding- even her concentration face looks like shes enjoying it! I have a horrible tendency to look like I'm contemplating suicide... Even when its the best ride of my life! haha

Lulup

Visit site
Wherever those lessons took place looked and sounded seriously cold and windy! The horses look fab and it sounds like a great experience. By the way - you are a seriously loyal and supportive sister, I hope you get the recognition you deserve too. I would love my sister, or any of my family to be as interested and involved as you are! Fingers crossed for a fantastic 2014 season for your lovely team :)

Rosiefan

Visit site
Lovely to see Al's horses looking so good and to hear how much she's learnt and enjoyed herself. Most of all I'm pleased to read this bit of your report "Her diary is jam-packed, her first day back she was out hunting with a crowd of small children and small ponies and she’s been booked out until March by her old employers. " She needs some money coming in if she wants a career with horses and she's clearly well on the way :) Wishing her all the luck in the world and a fab 2014 x

TarrSteps

Visit site
Glad to see its not just me that uses polo wraps as gaiters :)

Looking forward to a fab 2014!

I thought everyone did this! It was a "thing" when I was a kid.

Glad to hear Al enjoyed herself and it was so productive. TD and I will take a tiny bit of credit when she's at Badders. ;) Smokes looks like he benefitted a great deal from stay away camp.

Lolo

Visit site
Fab report . . . best of luck to Al . . . and I absolutely LOVE the last picture of the boys - speaks volumes :).

P

It's very them, I absolutely love it! The one before is cute, but the subsequent bickering is accurate :D

Fab report, I wondered when you were going to post about Al coming home!
The boys look fab, what are the plans for Smokes this season?

Can I be really nosy and ask who she was a WP for? Only because I am super nosy ;).

I think 2014 is going to be a fab year for you guys!!!!

x x

Thank you :) No specific plans right now, just seeing how he goes starting out slowly :) Probably a few dressage and SJ outings for the next 2 months and then see where he's at come March for what events he'll do.

If you click on the vids, it says in the bio bits underneath them, Al would rather not have it on here as it's a bit too 'google-able'.

It sounds like she had a nice time being a WP

Smokes looks like he is coming along nicely. The pictures of both boys schooling are really nice :)

Can I just ask why is she wearing bandages around her boots?

Bandages are over her socks as a gaiter replacement- apparently it means your nice long socks don't get wrecked, your gaiters can stay for best, they're warmer than both of the previous and you can practice super-speedy bandaging... I asked too with my best "are you mad?" face :D

Lovely to get an update and lovely to see that Al has got the whole 'bandage-the-leg-WP' thing :D

She embraced all aspects of WP life :D Thank you :)

Lolo

Visit site
Great report thank you! Very envious of Al - I bet she has built up the most fantastic foundation over the winter and I have no doubt she will have a brilliant season with those lovely boys of hers! Keep us posted please :) :)

She says she's learnt so much, and while lots is in the riding more is just management and how to keep her gang really well, which is invaluable. And she mucks out like a demon now! You'll have reports coming out your ears soon enough!

Glad to see its not just me that uses polo wraps as gaiters :)

Looking forward to a fab 2014!

It's such a good idea, she's embraced it fully!

Wow, what an improvement!! Al is going to have a cracking 2014.

Love the photo of the boys stood together in the field :D

I love it- they're both huge characters and absolute opposites in almost every way, so they make hilarious field companions! Smokes has changed so much it's ridiculous.

Brilliant. Love hearing about what you're all up to, and all the pics of course! :)

It was nice getting my camera out properly again, although I am SO out of practice! It's been hectic but fun for everyone :)

Lolo

Visit site
Great report sounds like Al had a great time as a WP!

I love smokey :) sounds like Al will have a great 2014!

She loved every second, think the only downside was missing Reggie! But he had a lovely winter taking mum on hacks of his choosing and is now slightly truculent about Al's slightly stricter approach :D

OMG I blooming LOVE Smokey! And love the pic of him & Al both smiling at the camera :)

Very best of luck for the 2014 season - how very exciting for you all to have such super ponies to play with. Best of luck :)

He is a classy pony- he looks so much bigger than he is in the photos, but hopefully he's going to be small but mighty! Thank you, it is very exciting :)

Yay, I bet she has had a great time, and can't wait to get going this season!

Yes, she's so excited about it. There's so much on the horizon for her, lot's to be excited for!

both the boys are looking amazing but especially smokey! he's come on so much since shes got him and hes just so cute!

He is adorable, and utterly tiny with it (15.1hh, and all leg), and he just tries so hard. Even when he comes out fresh and a bit whappy, he does settle and really work once he's calmed down.

Lolo

Visit site
Wonderful photos and videos, brilliant riding and lovely horses ! Can I be cheeky and ask some advice ? I remember a while back seeing a video of smokes who would go along nicely then fling his head up occasionally (I think they were jumping) and he looks like he has got past that now and Im about to take on a new horse who does exactly that, can I ask what helped him to settle as he looks so good now :) Was he also fussy in his mouth ? as this horse really grinds his bit too but has had teeth done recently so wondering what investigations to do or if its just habit !

Al says that it was essentially just endless schooling and being really strict about him always working into the contact so she could be more proactive about stopping it. But mostly as his flatwork improved and he calmed down it all settled. He still does it jumping sometimes but that's him being a cocky little beggar!

Lolo

Visit site
Great to see Al back, she works so hard, hope she has the 2014 season that she deserves, will look forward to seeing future reports:)

Mum's glad she's back, the responsibility of Reggie was far too scary! Thank you :)

All looking good and glad she had a good time and learnt loads. There really is nothing like spending time in a decent pro yard.

Yes, she's hoping to repeat the experience at some point as she learnt so much, and really took to the work.

Great report and photos! Loving the bandage chaps, brings matchy matchy to a whole new level :p

Smokey and reggie look brilliant :D

Ponies don't get bandages but Al does- maybe the Sparkle Sisters will start it too? Patent shiny posh boots are SO 2013 ;) Maybe not :D

I love how happy Al looks whilst she's riding- even her concentration face looks like shes enjoying it! I have a horrible tendency to look like I'm contemplating suicide... Even when its the best ride of my life! haha

We rip the piss out of her for her gurning, on Reg she is almost always pulling the same face as he is. Her best thing is when they won't relax their jaw, she relaxes hers... Gormless isn't a good look :D She's very smiley on Smokes though, he is a smiley sort of pony!