Teenagers in my field

mollichop

Visit site
Have been informed by the elderly woman who lives opposite my horses field that 3 girls (approx 16-18) were trying to get on mine and my friends horses yesterday lunchtime.

Good luck with mine if you can get on you won't be up there long! My friend's however, is 24 and a very trusting boy who would prob come to say hello and not complain much :(

The lady came out and shouted at them to get out of the field - they laughed at her and said "we're not scared of you - make us!" :mad:

Stables are in the field with doors open all the time so they can please themselves as both stress if shut in so this isn't am option unfortunately.

There are high solid hedges all around and all gates are padlocked both ends. I'm putting a sign on the road gate saying the horses bite and kick and fake CCTV units and warning signs are going up tonight.

Beyond kipping at the field what more can we do?

I only hope to catch them as one of my dogs would have something to say about them being in the field :D

Can't really afford to get electric fencing set up this side of pay day but may need to. Any other suggestions?

ThePony

Visit site
A chair for you and a gun for them - I just can't believe the gaul of some people, and that attitude towards the lady! What a pair of ****. Do you have elec fencing? Hyping that up might a) make for fun viewing, and b) put them off a bit! Or could you borrow some tough/take no crap unbroken youngsters? Might put them off sharpish? Any idea who they are, would it be poss to chat to their parents?

ChesnutsRoasting

Visit site
The sane side of me believes in trying the signs etc first, the devil in me thinks hiring a couple of friends that hppen to be on the intimidating side to visit the field in the afternoons/evenings (teenagers generally don't get up before midday) to have a little 'chat' with these youths. Perhaps the neighbour could ring you when she spots the girls hanging around.:)

OWLIE185

Visit site
I would thank the lady by giving her a large bunch of flowers and ask her to phone you in the future if the girls or anyone else is in your field. Tell her not to put herself at risk but rather phone you or the police if she is unable to get hold of you.
Make sure that the hinges on your gates are reversed so that they can not be lifted off the hinges. Also ensure that both your horses are freezemarked so that they can be identified by anyone if they stray or are stolen.

Hedwards

Visit site
No added advice I'm afraid, I'd be fuming as I'm sure you are, however, schools do go back soon, so hopefully it isnt something you'll need to worry about forever.

See how you go with signs, fingers crossed you'll never see them again.

hollyandivy123

Visit site
are they only getting over your gate into the field...................if they are climbing over a very sneaky way to deter them would be to paint the tops of the gates with something smelly as in pig muck or very colourfull that does not dry like the anti burgler paint. then watch or smell out the locals

Brambridge04

Visit site
I'd personally put up a sign saying that trespassers will be prosecuted and also some fake CCTV units. I would also be inclined to leave them a note informing them you will be round their house to use their phones/laptops in general anything of value to them, seeing as it's ok for them to do this to you.

Also i'd put in said letter, horse has back injury and you will forward on Vet bill to them.

mollichop

Visit site
I hope it's just bored locals but the girl who has the adjoining fields had her tack room broken into yesterday and emptied out :mad:

The neighbour is fab - she is so nosey and is my ears and eyes when myself and the other owner aren't there during work hours. She will give as good as she gets but is getting on a bit.

Really don't think they will get far with regards to riding them but I worry it could escalate to theft or they might harm them. Also, there is a massive barn full of this years hay and straw so my concern is if I/she pisses them off that will go up in flames as has done previously :mad:

Luci07

Visit site
I would log it with the police so they do have a record. The signs up are necessary as (and don't think its changed) if someone hurt themselves on your land, even trespassing, if you did not have warnings posted they could sue you for any damage incurred. The idea of asking the lady to call you is a good one or see if the police would respond if she did call them (and the flowers as a thank you). Alternatively if the lady is up for this (poss not if she is elderly!) could she photograph said boys? keep herself out of danger and something concrete for either the police or facebook!

Merrymoles

Visit site
Happened to us donkeys' years ago and then one morning we found human teeth in the field - guessed they had picked the wrong one to get on. Needless to say, there were no repetitions. CCTV is probably your best bet. I can understand your concerns re hay but hopefully they are just cheeky pony-mad girls who can be warned off.

Visit site
I would log it with the police so they do have a record. The signs up are necessary as (and don't think its changed) if someone hurt themselves on your land, even trespassing, if you did not have warnings posted they could sue you for any damage incurred. The idea of asking the lady to call you is a good one or see if the police would respond if she did call them (and the flowers as a thank you). Alternatively if the lady is up for this (poss not if she is elderly!) could she photograph said boys? keep herself out of danger and something concrete for either the police or facebook!

I would do exactly this - are there any other houses close by that might keep a eye out also ?!

ladyt25

Visit site
I'm sorry, this really p*sses me off. I am no old stick in the mud (I am early 30s) but what is it with teenagers etc having NO respect at all for anything or anyone? Why be so rude to someone who is asking you to get off land that is NOT yours? Grr, makes me angry!!!

As for signs - I would advise against putting any signs up along the lines of your horses being dangerous as, in this ridiculous society that is now construed as admitting liability should something go wrong (as opposed to it just being seen as stating the obvious - ie ANY horse is potentially dangerous in reality). Maybe get some geese in your field - they're as good as anything as far as guarding is concerned. These girls may not be scared of a polite older lady but some aggressive geese may make them think twice!

mollichop

Visit site
These girls may not be scared of a polite older lady but some aggressive geese may make them think twice!

Lol there is nothing polite about her! :D In theory the geese are a good idea but they make a hell of a mess of the fields and **** for England!

It has been logged with the police in conjunction with the theft next door so will just have to wait and see if they return.

scarymare

Visit site
I would probably go with the electric and if the gate is metal then 'hotwire' it. Obviously the fencing will 'short out' on the gate but trust me it will still pack a punch. BUT you must make it look as if it was accidental hotwiring. Even if it wont harm them then you could still be in bother if it looks deliberate.

Tinseltoes

Visit site
I would get a UNBROKEN youngster and put in field,that will show them lol. You could put signs up saying.CCTV in field. Also a sign saying BEWARE of the BULL!!!!! lol

Marydoll

Visit site
The best way to go would be, definitely log with the police, and tell them your not sure but could this tie in with the recent tack theft at neighbours ? Also report it to your rural constable
Explain youre worried to challenge them just in case they light your hay and straw but you are concerned for your horses welfare and also the teenge eejits safety.
keep your wee lady sweet, flowers and a thank you card will go a long way to help you out and ask her to call you if they appear again.
I cant say what id do on here :D but believe me they'd think long and hard before bothering my horses again

Alfie&Milo

Visit site
Feel angry for you, in a bit of a similar situation myself as someone let my mare and two 2yr-olds out of their field where they had to be herded back. And before anyone thinks they let themselves out, there's just no way!! And because I only heard from the guy who herded them back (and owns the next field which is used for bootfairs) I don't know whether anything happened to my lot before they were let out, especially my two year olds as they're friendly as anything, have had a little experience being leant over and it would traumatise them for life if someone leapt on their backs! Plus my sensitive six year old mare is still being slowly backed. I don't understand the nature of people who seem to get pleasure from disrespecting other people's belongings and animals :( and because of them I'm now padlocking all my gates and I only live over the road :mad:!

joeanne

Visit site
I'm assuming your hedge not an option for someone wanting to get in the field, so to deter them coming over the gate, wrap some barbed wire over the top bar. Or better still razor wire.
Just be sure to put something moveable (ie electric fence,) to prevent horses coming up to it.

giveitago

Visit site
How about a sign that says ... These horses are infected with blah blah disease, please do not touch. In the event of contact please contact your local A & E department....symptoms are itching a violent diarrohea.

And a bit of barbed wire caught on your leg whilst climbing really hurts too!

Best of luck

elmomybabyboy

New User
Visit site
i have an 15 to 18 month old cob he does not like men and hates his feet being touched he needs his feet despratly doing so can some one help and put some numbers on for people that will do his feet warning he may kick :eek: we are located in winterton Scunthorpe please help:D:):):D

farmerandy

Visit site
I would hope at best its an isolate incident.

Now the girls know there is an ever watching neighbour they will hopefully not return.

Making the gate a little less inviting to climb would be beneficial for these and any extra unwanted intruders.

I've some metal gates with mesh welded to them (like the square mesh used for animal cages). The mesh is on the outside of the gate. It means there is nothing to get a foothold on, making it hard to climb. Putting some barbed wire on a crank, would make the gate even harder to climb.

As for CCTV, a fake camera and a sign may help deter and cheaply at that.

Damnation

Visit site
I would thank the lady by giving her a large bunch of flowers and ask her to phone you in the future if the girls or anyone else is in your field. Tell her not to put herself at risk but rather phone you or the police if she is unable to get hold of you.
Make sure that the hinges on your gates are reversed so that they can not be lifted off the hinges. Also ensure that both your horses are freezemarked so that they can be identified by anyone if they stray or are stolen.

Ditto this. Plus put signs up.
I am probibily only a few years older then these teenagers but I would want to throttle them!

Kat

Visit site
Ask the neighbour to call the police next time and report that people are in the field and seem to be attempting to steal the horses.

Phone your local police now and tell them that people have been seen in your field and you are concerned that they may be attempting to steal or injure them.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
The neighbour has done a good job buy shouting at the intruders but hasn't really achieved much. If she can be advised to telephone the police then let the police attend & sort out the matter then names will be taken & they can be advised as to future conduct. (Unless they're there for a criminal purpose then trespass is a civil matter & police won't get involved except handing over the names & addresses to you.

Additionally if you can identify where they are getting in, i.e. over a gate, then paints the top of the gate with 'anti climb paint'. This stuff is marvelous, it never dries & so will stick to hands/clothing etc & is the devil to get off. It's used in a lot of crime prevention scenarios. :)

shellonabeach

Visit site
I too have wonderful field neighbours who my eyes and ears when I am not at my field.

I only have one access point into the field which is the wooden gate, I have barb wire wrapped around the top of the gate to stop people climbling in.

In the event of a problem with the horses a couple of neighbours have gates from their gardens into the field so they can get in but it keeps those who are not invited out!

muddygreymare

Visit site
This makes me so angry, especially as i'm a teenager and wouldn't dream of doing such a thing! I would advise against the unbroken youngster ideas because it might injure them or make them harder to back in future. I'd put signs up and get the lady to keep an eye. Hopefully now its been reported they'll b*gger off!

Jake10

Visit site
What you need are a couple of pet sheep that believe anything on two legs has digestive biscuits. I've been mobbed several times at uni by the 5 biscuit mad rams. It doesn't help that my lecturer insists that when we go and see how they're doing we have to feed them umpteen packets of biscuits. :D

DragonSlayer

Visit site
Record EVERYTHING with the police.

People say they don't do anything, but with something I reported a few weeks ago, backed up with something else, has been more than enough to deal with a situation at my field. They always say let them know every little thing, because then you have the backing of them if anything else happens...

:D