Teeth and Backs....should we fiddle or leave well alone?

severnmiles

Visit site
When I first got Ernie I hacked him out for a couple of weeks and he was excellent, didn't rear/buck/nap/spin/spook e.t.c had his back checked, couple of days off, brought him back up and he spins alot, at stupid stuff, I don't mind one iota, I like something thats awake and full of itself out hacking but still thought it was odd that he was only started doing it after having his back done.

I schooled him a bit and he's a sweetheart in the school, held an outline and was really lovely, soft mouth e.t.c. He was going so well that he's got some SJ and dressage at the beginning of Sept and mum even suggested taking him to Broadway Intro. Then I get his teeth checked (which had never been done and he had his teeth rasped for about 20mins), equine dentist said he had pretty sharp teeth, and that he had a couple of sores higher up in his mouth on the sides so give him a few days off, so he had the weekend off, hacked yesterday and then I took him in the school today, he was his normal quiet self but instead of working in an outline he's throwing his head (sort of nodding) and on the left rein he's bending drastically right.

I've spent well over £100.00 having his back and teeth sorted (or so I thought) and now I have something thats horrible on the flat, I'm feeling very deflated and I wish I'd not had them both checked now as he was really lovely on the flat beforehand.

Has anyone else experienced this? My dads the 'old school' type and says its my own fault for meddling and back when he trained a few flat arab's they never had any of that 'rubbish' and its just a way to make money....
frown.gif
confused.gif
frown.gif
I'm really not sure where to go from here.

frown.gif
A very down Sara
frown.gif

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
If either have been out for a while it can take them a while to adjust. Its a good thing to remember that the back starts in the jaw, so unless you get the teeth and backs done at the same time it is likely that the mouth will knock the back out. This will only come to the fore when you take away the malfunction in the mouth.

MrsMagoo

Visit site
maybe its just where they adapt to things for soo long..in this instance sharp teeth...that when it gets 'sorted out/corrected' they dont know how to react. It must feel totally different for them...I'd say carry on the schooling etc and soon enough he'll come to realise that he's probably better of
smile.gif

Although saying that, there still is the question of do horses really need us messing around with them
smile.gif

ruscara

Visit site
Having heard stories about horses whose mouths have been literally cut to shreds by sharp teeth, I would NEVER leave my horse without his annual visit from the dentist. I do not consider this to be interfering. As for backs, if the practitioner you use is qualified and competent, then I don't think it can do any harm. I believe that many horses have back problems that are not realised, and they must work in great discomfort and pain.
So far as your horse is concerned, I think as others have said that he is adjusting to new feelings in his back and mouth, and I would give him a little more time. Also if he has just had his teeth rasped, he may have a little residual soreness from the rasping which will heal in time. Surely this is better than ulcers and cuts from sharp teeth?

severnmiles

Visit site
Well I would have thought so! The back lady is qualified, Mctimoney and he loves her visits (she's been twice now), she showed me that his hips were wonkey (probably from a fall pointing).

I guess i'm too impatient, he just felt so unhappy and uncomfortable.

katelarge

Visit site
well, keep an eye on it all. I think you were right to have the work done, and if it doesn't get better you might be right to get a physio out? I know if a back has been out for ages and it gets re-aligned it can cause muscles to shift around which have got used to where they were, thanks very much, and so can cause the horse to go oddly.

What about giving him a week in the field and then coming back it?

sojeph

Visit site
I have 5 nags. 2 x 12yr olds, 1 x 9 yr old, and 2 x 8yr olds. One cob and one pony had their teeth rasped approx 6 yrs ago and cob apparently had a sharp tooth on one side-pony was fine. Had the vet out for their tetanus jabs last month and she checked them all over (heart, lungs etc) and checked their teeth-all fine. They live out 24/7 so I don't know if that makes a difference. Either that or they all have perfectly formed jaws!!!

eahotson

Visit site
Well I had a horse years ago. Never had the back man out and YO kept an eye out on his teeth and rasped one sharp one ONCE and he never ailed a thing. Fast forward to last horse. Working in a riding school. Saddle (BHS ETC>APPROVED SCHOOL) had broken tree. Ridden by all sorts several times a day. Most peculiar gait and stumbled a lot. Vet said idle. Physiotherapist said sore. Fixed his back and hey presto stumbling almost entirely stopped and gait improved.Present horse has just had teeth done. Suspicious swelling to one side of face.No pain or anything. Just keeping an eye.