Teeth checking !!!

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
Shy had his teeth done at the surgery yesterday,under sedation. This was six months after he had his last session, done at home, no sedation. He has them done every six months cos he's just four. He'd been quidding a bit over the last month.

Anyways, his upper molars were sharp as ****, and he had a couple of ulcers where his gums had been caught. The lower molars were pretty rough too. Shy's been pulling and leaning on the bit over the last month or so, and the vet reckoned this was his teeth causing pain.:(

His tushes are just about to come thru, and are so sharp it must be :eek: Lot of teething still to do, so I guess I need to stock up on Bongela for the poor boy.

My friend has got a new horse on loan, and this was his first ever teeth check at six, vet thinks - poor lad had ulcers everywhere, his teeth were horrendous, and he had to have one out. He was sooooooo stoic. And some new ponies at the RDA seem to have never been checked either. Painful..

Sm xx

Last edited:

Paddy Irish

Visit site
Paddy H is seeing the tooth fairy on Fri , he didn't have sedation last time - 6 months ago - so hopefully he'll be ok again , the dentist uses power tools , I'm the one that needs sedation - the whole process freaks me out!!

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
I'll def go for the sedation for him next time, and the vet seemed to be able to "do" that much more... poor lad nearly fell over as he had a bit too much :D

Cedars

Visit site
Puzzle is currently having her teeth filed down once every 3 months. Yes, seriously. They get SO sharp. Thankfully I have quite a good indictor as she starts wood chewing. The lovely Victoria is due out to see her ASAP.

It terrifies me when people have never had their horses teeth done!!

P.S. I would never sedate Puzzle for a quick whizz round with the leccy files etc but I would sedate her if we needed a more in depth look as she gets a bit wriggly towards the end!!

galaxy

Visit site
If your horse stands still while their teeth are being done it is not necessary to have them sedated!

I have had several horses done by my EDT every 9 months for the last 7 years, only ever had 1 youngster sedated for her very 1st time (had a very nervous temp) and never had any sore mouths, ulcers or teeth issues.

I suggest looking for a good EDT rather than the vet you are using.... I really don't see why they have to sedate your horse to do a good job.

BonneMaman

Visit site
If your horse stands still while their teeth are being done it is not necessary to have them sedated!

I have had several horses done by my EDT every 9 months for the last 7 years, only ever had 1 youngster sedated for her very 1st time (had a very nervous temp) and never had any sore mouths, ulcers or teeth issues.

I suggest looking for a good EDT rather than the vet you are using.... I really don't see why they have to sedate your horse to do a good job.

Absolutely agree with this - sounds like a vet building the old bill up to me. I had my mare done a couple of weeks ago - she is 9, not handled masses as being a broodmare and not coming from the best of homes and then passed through a few dealers. She can be very quiet but also very nervious at times. Well she didn't particularly like the ordeal but didn't play up anywhere near enough to need sedation - farrier on the other hand - she is being sedalined next time!!

I'd always try without sedation first otherwise they never learn I was told.

Brandy

Visit site
I have had my horses teeth done every 6 months by a recommended EDT. I have used this guy for the past 6 years, and the rest of the yard also used him. My old horse was 30 this year and as my vets were doing a deal which included vaccs, teeth and health check, I thought I would have that. (and I had moved yards so wouldn;t be included in the regular yard dentist visit)

My poor old boy had a large spike on one of his back teeth, it was nearly digging into his upper gum! The vet suggested that it would have been at keast 4 yrs to get to that stage and my dentist was obviously not doing his job properly.

Horse had to be sedated for the power tool to grind this spike down. Quite angry as at 30yrs he can do without it!

Nocturnal

Visit site
Even my horse didn't need sedating for the dentist's powertools, and you can't get within 10 foot of him with clippers or anything like that. Not sure why you'd want to sedate unnecessarily... :confused:

Milanesa

Visit site
hey all, i just had my lot done yesterday, and had them all sedated! I think it is better for the horse, easier for the vet and they can do a better job. One is v quiet and the vet started, but then doped as he has a wave mouth and needed to do abit of work...for the sake of £30 or so for sedation, i would certainly just get it done as pain-free as possible. EDT'S obviously say it is fine not to dope because they can't do it! Having said that i am sure many horses are fine without doping, but i'd rather mine had a sleep and were less panicked by the whole situation

smiffyimp

Visit site
mine are getting done tomorrow by a EDT and have never been sedated, they stand fine. 7yo has had same EDT since i got him at 2 which was his 1st experience, she obviously did a good job - he falls asleep now:D

pillion

Visit site
had the EDT out yesterday, would not really use a vet to do the job unless completley necessary for sedation :p

and sedation only as a last resort, a good EDT will be able to deal with 9/10 problem horses

I am one of those,

Farrier for feet
EDT for teeth
Physio for physio
and vet for all ills x

Visit site
My boys are both very good (even with the electric rasp! :eek:) and don't have to be sedated. They have had their teeth done every six months since they were four and five year olds though and my dentist is very good with them. Our little rescue mare however is in her thirties and my dentist said he didn't think she had ever seen the dentist until we bought her two years ago! :eek: :( He has sorted them out as best he can but next time she is due, we have got to have her sedated as she has got to have a loose tooth removed. My new mare is six and from Ireland and my dentist said her teeth were very sharp and that she had probably never seen a dentist before either.

It's amazing how many people don't get their horse's teeth rasped regularly. IMO it is just as important as getting them shod regularly, etc.

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
B***** h*** you lot. Why the nasty remarks ? This forum can be sooo :mad:

Fyi, without the TINY sedation he had this time (and even THAT was too much) - SHY WILL REAR. All around the box.

And for the knowing that it was done thoroughly and safely, I will pay the vet bill happily, and I am pretty piss poor.

Happy now ?

I was going to ask about bitting advice too, but blow that.

Think it's time to give up here, as you know any post you start will have the sideways snipes. YAWN....

Last edited:

Cedars

Visit site
I fail to see where anyone has been horrid ShysMum? We've all just said that 1) everyone should have teeth checked - which is not a comment at you, as you HAVE had teeth checked, and 2) whether or not our lot need sedating! FWIW I think vets do sedate farrrrrr too much, but if you're the owner and you're happy, who cares? As I said in my posts, I wouldnt normally sedate but would if they needed a good root around.

I think this has been remarkably tame!!

pillion

Visit site
geeze who rattled your pram, I am sorry but there is no need for this, I can not see where anyone has been nasty!! but hey want to go somewhere else then go!!

B***** h*** you lot. Why the nasty remarks ? This forum can be sooo :mad:

Fyi, without the TINY sedation he had this time (and even THAT was too much) - SHY WILL REAR. All around the box.

And for the knowing that it was done thoroughly and safely, I will pay the vet bill happily, and I am pretty piss poor.

Happy now ?

I was going to ask about bitting advice too, but blow that.

Think it's time to give up here, as you know any post you start will have the sideways snipes. YAWN....

sun-shine

Visit site
Sure I've read this wrong, but just to check people aren't having power work done on their horses without sedation right..? :D
Its been a long day :D

Umbongo

Visit site
Sure I've read this wrong, but just to check people aren't having power work done on their horses without sedation right..? :D
Its been a long day :D

Category 2 procedures, which are deemed suitable for fully qualified BEVA/BAEDT equine dental technicians to carry out include "The use of motorised dental instruments where these are used to reduce dental overgrowths and remove sharp enamel points only. Horses should be sedated unless it is deemed safe to undertake any proposed procedure without sedation, with full informed consent of the owner."

I have been on work experience with a few very good EDTs who use motorised equipment on unsedated horses....so long as it is safe to do so and the owners don't have a problem with it. The dentists I have been out with are well known by the local vets and do work closely with them.

Most horses are actually better with it than some owners think they would be:)
You can't be on the same yard as my mare with a pair of clippers in your hand, she also does not like manual rasps very much...but a motorised le clair in her mouth and unsedated...no problem!!!

OP: No one was having a go at you at all!!! I think everyone was just having a discussion about how quickly horses teeth can become sharp, and how some people never get their horses teeth done! No need to fly off the handle :)

Last edited:

VictoriaEDT

www.equinedental.co.uk
Its perfectly safe Sun shine - in the right hands. I quite happily run the power disc on the underside (more sensitive skin) of my arm and hold it there for 5 seconds, no mark or damage.

The horses tolerate it a lot more as well, even the ones that freak out at clipper noise are quite happy with it.

I have horses that wont let me hand rasp but are fine with power :)

Cedars

Visit site
Victoria! I have a present for you! 15hh, patches of colour, teeth like something out of Jurassic park! Don't say I don't think of you! ;) just let me know when you can collect the little bugger!!

Cedars

Visit site
Ps my youngster (19months) is electric tasked without any sedation. She doesn't stress or move at all she's really good. Get a good dentist and most horses will be good as gold-hence why I only ever use the best of every field for our motley crew. Xxx

sun-shine

Visit site
Its perfectly safe Sun shine - in the right hands. I quite happily run the power disc on the underside (more sensitive skin) of my arm and hold it there for 5 seconds, no mark or damage.

The horses tolerate it a lot more as well, even the ones that freak out at clipper noise are quite happy with it.

I have horses that wont let me hand rasp but are fine with power :)

I have to disagree, but I respect your opinion :)

sun-shine

Visit site
Having said that though am quite intrigued about the idea - do you use battery tools or or electric? Have always worked with power tools with sedation, can't imagine doing it any other way but I'm interested to know how you go about it. Would you do just sharp points?

Jade&Syrah

Visit site
I try not to sedate unless absolutely necessary. :)

My mare gets her teeth done every 6 months (She needed a lot of work) and she loves the powertools rather than the hand tools as the hand tools pull down on the horses mouth, however some dentists still have the old type powertools where the horse needs sedated, fortunately my dentist has the new ones and my mare just stands there and tries to rest her her on the dentist :) where as as soon as the hand tools come out she tries to rear etc.

Milanesa

Visit site
i see peoples points about not sedating, but i would much rather sedate, you can't honestly say as good a job can be done without sedation on the majority of horses- most i have seen more around trying to avoid it, wriggling around etc- i am all for those horses that dont need sedation to not be sedated, but i'm sorry i would not have electric power tools rasping my horses teeth if he was wide awake to feel everything no way!

Cedars

Visit site
Pony person - i DO say as good a job is done. And it doesnt hurt them. Trust me, my baby would let you know, and she just stands there for VictoriaEDT.

Not sure whether V will agree but I thought she was better with the electric - the pulling of the hand rasps she didnt seem to agree with so much. xxx