Teeth problems 2yr old

jjsblackhorse

Visit site
Hello everyone,

Things seem to be going from bad to worse with my poor little 2yr old, not only has he got OCD in the hocks, one of which still has a bog spavin that will not go away even 8 weeks after surgery!

But he now has lumps below his jaw that are getting larger and larger, and are very sore, to the point he is getting difficult to put a head collar on and its becoming an issue for the poor boy. I have had the vet check him and he said they were teeth related and that they may or may not go away, but that he would not really know unless he took some x-rays. He did not want to do this in case it ended in a fight as the little horse is thoroughly sick of vets and needles etc and having recently having had his hocks operated on did not want to risk him crashing round his stable doing damage. As the horse is eating without difficulty he wants to go for the 'wait and see what happens' option.

Due to the pain and discomfort of having a head collar on, I have had to stop bringing him in so he has gone from being in 70% of the time to being out 100% but in a small sheltered paddock on his own so he can't charge about, he has got friends near by who live out. Having spent the last 3 months in due to his hocks he is a bit of a stable boy, enjoys being fussed and waited on hand and foot, and is not impressed! but I can not take the chance of him having a melt down due to the head collar on the lane with the harvest tractors around.

I am rather concerned as I don't want the little horse to be in pain, or to develop issues due to pain, or long term problems, or unsightly lumps on his jaw to add to the lumpy hocks!

I would welcome any thoughts or advice re this matter, many thanks.

Spyda

Visit site
Well, I can only comment from my own experience. As my previous young horse grew up she too developed a sore and lumpy lower jaw as her teeth developed. I really didn't pay it too much attention, except to be aware the area would be sensitive for a while. In due course the lumps disappeared as her teeth settled.

I currently have another 2 year old now (turned 2 end of May) but so far he's not developed any similar symptoms (yet).

I don't think it's terribly uncommon for these lumps to develop although I would keep an eye on the discomfort level. I don't remember my mare being in terrible pain at the time. Maybe your chap is a bit sensitive. If it were me, I'd avoid using a headcollar as far as possible, and if I did I'd ensure it was loosely fitted, and keep an eye. If he starts to decline food, excessively quid or starts to noticeably drop condition, it would definitely be time to contact an experienced dental technician to investigate and ensure no infection or ulcers were present.

Fingers crossed though, he'll be fine in a couple of months without intervention.

Spring Feather

Visit site
Is it just regular tooth bumps that they all get at around 2 or 3 years old? Or are they something more than that? Have to say I don't pay too much attention to my youngsters tooth bumps. They grow and look lumpy bumpy for a while until the teeth erupt and settle and then they go away. If the bumps are hot and painful and you're concerned that what your youngster has is not just regular tooth bumps then perhaps enlist the help of an equine dentist to go in and have a look to make sure no caps need removing.

Equi

Visit site
Hes probably better out any way. as the movement and lower head will help with swelling and pain. A lot of horses get these bumps, but get an EDT out soon to have a look anyway.

jjsblackhorse

Visit site
Hi just a quick update had the horse dentist out yesterday and he checked the 2yr olds teeth and said no problem! Good news!
Had the rest done as the ex race hors had started quiding, on the not so good news side my husbands hunter who I have always suspected had lost some years during his journey through life has now been confirmed! passport says 15 years has now put him as 19 to 23yrs old prob. around 21 years - explains the degeneration in the hocks!!