Tekna Saddle Questions

Kenzo

Visit site
Afternoon, hope some of you may be able to help me as I'm thinking about buying a Tekna 17'' dressage saddle as I've heard some good feed back on them as I'm after a dressage saddle that won't give my hubby a reason to file for divorce!

Those of you who have these saddles, how many of you have had them altered and by whom?

I know they can be altered, is it the same process as they do with Kieffers?, reason I ask is I contacted various saddlers (re Kieffer tree alteration) and they all told me they can’t do them and it would have to be sent back to Kieffer to be altered…ok fair do’s, so if I buy a Tekna (on the off chance that the tree/saddle as a whole will fit once altered if needs be) is it going to be a chore getting it done and finding somewhere that does them as well, it’s all very well saying they can be altered by a saddler but it’s finding someone that does them.

Mare is a little quarter hight TB, not much dip in her back, for example Bates/Wintec trees do not fit (too banana shaped) , she’s quite a flat back profile with what I’d call medium wither, just wondering what the Tekna’s are like compared to these or any other makes/modes before I chance it and by a dressage saddle or ebay, she’s currently in a Kieffer Norbert Koof saddle in a medium (if that gives any clues to any of you saddle gurus that is clued up on all your makes and models and how they fit your different types.

I know this is a big ask but you don’t know unless you ask, is there anyone in the Yorkshire area that has a medium 17’’ in the dressage model that I could try? obviously I would collect and return in the same day thus not to inconvenience you for too long.

Any info/advice much appreciated.

Thank you kindly :)

JustMe22

Visit site
I only have the Tekna jumping but thought I may as well chime in. From what I understand, it's a heating process to adjust, but I was told that the tack shop I bought the saddle from could do it for me. I didn't need it, so it didn't matter.

As for shape, I'm only going by the jumping...but mine has high0ish withers and big shoulders. He's slightly 'banana-backed' but not too bad. Is full TB. Wintec/bates never fitted him either, but his dressage saddle is a County Competitor, if that helps? :)

Can post a pic of him too if that will help!

Malibu_Stacy

Visit site
I *love* my tekna. Its a 17'' dressage saddle and soooo comfy :) Horse is a TBxQH, and doesn't have a massively high wither but it is long, and slightly more pronounced as she has got older. I originally got a medium one, but it is now probably closer to a medium wide fitting.

I had the gullet altered on the recommendation of my saddler a few weeks ago. It was really easy, she just sent it off along with trace of horse's back to Westgate EFI (the primary stockist/ importer of the Tekna stuff in the UK, who then supplies it to retailers in the UK) who have the correct equipment to modify it. I don't know about the Kieffer thing, as I understood it the Tekna saddles have the same heat changeable gullets as Prestige do, so theorectically any saddlery with the equipment to alter a Prestige could alter a Tekna. You do however invalidate the saddles warranty if you don't do it with official stockists (ie Westgate). TBH I'd imagine most saddlers could arrange to have it sent off and altered by them easily, mine already knew where to send it etc as she'd previously looked into stocking Teknas. It was really quick, less than two weeks turnaround from saddler recommending it be altered to her coming back to check the new fit. It cost me £50+p&p (+ saddler's fitting costs).

Something else to bear in mind, there have been persistent rumours over the last 6-12 months that Tekna will be bringing out a new version with exchangeable gullets (similar to Bates/ Wintec). My saddler had heard the same, its why she chose not to start stocking the Tekna at the moment, but wait for the new range. On the other hand there's still no definitive date been given for if/ when this new range will appear, and in the meantime its possible to get some good baragins on the original range as retailers clear their stock, presumably in anticipation!

for reference, horse in saddle:
f2f0150d-1.jpg

horse without saddle:
16cb0a0a.jpg

Prince33Sp4rkle

Visit site
love Bruce's GP and the dressage one i ride a clients horse in, but they would not fit either of our TB's.

Bruce and Billy are flat side to side, moderately banana backed and have medium withers.

millitiger

Visit site
Millie (full tb) had the Tekna dressage saddle and it fitted her very well.

She is shortbacked, slightly downhill and has a normal wither but was very muscled up around and behind the wither.

I had a 17.5" and found it a little big for me and could have done with 1/2" shorter but it was comfortable enough and I ended up hacking in it too- much easier to care for than her leather jumping saddle :)

avthechav

Visit site
I bought a MW 17.5 A8 dressage model for my KWPN x. To start with it was lovely- fab to ride in and just lush but then as he started to develop more topline and also become a bit of a summer fatty it got very tight across the front. I found it very hard to find someone to adjust and check....I believe that prestige saddle fitters can do it. Eventually went to a Tekna supplier who checked it and would have sent it back to Tekna if it needed adjusting. It fitted across the back perfectly and wouldnt need adjusting but I didnt like riding in it coz still felt too tight down the front panels.....it was restricting his shoulder movement.....So I dont know if this was an issue with a saddle fitter or an issue with the Tekna shape. Shame though as I did like riding in it.