Tell me about Cleveland Bays

Annagain

Visit site
I've seen a nice looking CBxTB (just the advert so far) who could be a maybe but I don't know much about the breed. I'm sure I've read they can be spooky and sharp but not sure if I've imagined this? I'm not one to judge a breed rather than an individual horse but an idea of what I might expect to find would be handy.

ihatework

Visit site
I have to say, I’ve never met one I liked. To be fair, I haven’t met many and ridden even fewer. I’d say I just found them a bit ignorant, idle and not with the best work ethic.

There must be some good ones out there though. A crossbred is going to be the type you are looking for and if the TB stamps it well I wouldn’t discount looking provided it was proven to be out there doing the job already.

Annagain

Visit site
I've done some googling of his name and found an old sales video of him as a 5 yr old and I wouldn't have touched him then - if anything he looked quite forward but not in a good way. The current video of him as a 9 yr old doing flat work and jumping sweetly (albeit one fence as current owner doesn't seem to like jumping) he looks quite promising.

https://www.horsemart.co.uk/handsome-cleveland-bay-x-tb/Horses/576738
Photos aren't great. Video looks better.

eggs

Visit site
Like ihw I haven't come across one I would want to ride but then I have only come across a couple so it could be unfair to tar the whole breed on that basis. The only one I have ridden had a definite attitude problem but I couldn't tell you what caused it.

I did however have a welsh (75%) x cleveland bay (25%) and he was a very sweet horse who really did try his best although he was a worrier.

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
I haven't met or ridden either a pure CB, or a CB x Tb that I liked at all.
Most have been 'sharp' and 'spooky' to a dangerous extent. On the other hand they are often lovely looking with good conformation - it's the temperament that seems to be the issue.
Personally, I'd avoid.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I have to say, I’ve never met one I liked. To be fair, I haven’t met many and ridden even fewer. I’d say I just found them a bit ignorant, idle and not with the best work ethic.

There must be some good ones out there though. A crossbred is going to be the type you are looking for and if the TB stamps it well I wouldn’t discount looking provided it was proven to be out there doing the job already.

same here, although I've only known a few-all cross breds and all pretty backwards thinking.

ihatework

Visit site
If he is local enough I’d be tempted to view. If not I’d want some more video of him jumping as one very heavily edited 2 sec clip would make me a little suspicious.

I’d agree he looks plenty forward enough. I’m not 100% convinced by him behind, but the school surface isn’t great so I’d give benefit of doubt.

Reactions: JJS

Annagain

Visit site
Have asked where they are as just says West Mids - that could be anything from 1hr to 3hrs from me! but yes would ask for more of him jumping. I'd be a bit concerned that if she bought him 4 years ago (old ad video was 2015) she's only jumped him 5 times. He might have done more with someone else but questions would need to be asked!

Lexi_

Visit site
Share horse is Cleveland Bay x Sec D and he’s delightful! Seems to have inherited more of the Sec D traits but I think you’re used to those?

eggs

Visit site
He looks sweet enough in the video and if he were close enough would certainly be worth a look. I would be asking for more video of him jumping though. If the owner doesn't like jumping then I am sure they could find someone to jump him for them - hopefully in a saddle that fits them! I would also want to dig a bit further into the 'doesn't have enough time for him'. Having looked up Pembridge Stud they do seem to have some nice horses that they have bred.

Reactions: JJS

Annagain

Visit site
Share horse is Cleveland Bay x Sec D and he’s delightful! Seems to have inherited more of the Sec D traits but I think you’re used to those?

If I could find a big enough D I'd have one in a heartbeat. Sadly, full Ds tend to lose quality as they gain size but a decent cross would be lovely. I've barely seen one at all while I've been looking let alone one I'd like to go and view.

ETA - IHW's D cross is one I'd love, he's stunning but he's way too good for me even if she'd sell him!

ihatework

Visit site
Annagain he is for sale but I’m afraid you might need to increase your budget!!

He’d do your job blindfolded and be safe as houses at the same time!!

Are you sure I can’t tempt you 😁

Attachments

• 92497380-95EF-406F-B01F-2E11E1828D98.jpeg
    92497380-95EF-406F-B01F-2E11E1828D98.jpeg
    97 KB · Views: 77
  • 18930537-53FE-4ED5-B95E-24C77D30B393.jpeg
    18930537-53FE-4ED5-B95E-24C77D30B393.jpeg
    257.5 KB · Views: 78
  • 041B3D6A-70D0-4025-ADF1-A9ED5D622F15.jpeg
    041B3D6A-70D0-4025-ADF1-A9ED5D622F15.jpeg
    88.1 KB · Views: 75
  • 410AB409-6447-4BAF-9208-80236F30DE94.jpeg
    410AB409-6447-4BAF-9208-80236F30DE94.jpeg
    561 KB · Views: 73

Annagain

Visit site
Annagain he is for sale but I’m afraid you might need to increase your budget!!

He’d do your job blindfolded and be safe as houses at the same time!!

Are you sure I can’t tempt you 😁

You know I adore him. PM me his price. I might have to be very very nice to my 97yr old grandma!

Ruftysdad

Visit site
I have only ridden one Cleveland Bay and it was lazy and spooky. Also bad to handle. Did not make me want to ride another

ihatework

Visit site
there's a stud up here that breeds nice, workman-like Ds that are out and about doing a variety of disciplines, I think they generally make around 15.2h but dont know is any are bigger-if you want the name I'll PM you but think you should buy IHW's pony :D

I tried!!
But to be fair I think there are far better value RC allrounders about than mine!

Lammy

Visit site
I’ve met a couple CB’s out hunting, they were brilliant for their job. I definitely wouldn’t discount one just due to breed stereotypes. Especially when crossed with a TB.

Magnetic Sparrow

Visit site
In my experience a CBxTB is for someone who wants to be out competing or doing quite a lot. It's not the ideal cross for a CB to get the best temprament IMHO. CBxWelsh is a lovely combination.

redapple

Visit site
I knew a fab Cleveland bay x welsh. Great jumper, big personality, lovely 'person'. The only downside was not the most trainable as very stubborn (never did fully get over jumping into water) and very mischievious but that could have been the welsh side!

Annagain

Visit site
there's a stud up here that breeds nice, workman-like Ds that are out and about doing a variety of disciplines, I think they generally make around 15.2h but dont know is any are bigger-if you want the name I'll PM you but think you should buy IHW's pony :D

I think you're Scotland MoC? A bit far from me unfortunately. As much as I'd love IHW's not even Grandma Zelda has that much spare cash and he'd probably be bored silly pootling around 80-90 with me!

Littlebear

Visit site
I have known 3, so its hard to judge an entire breed based on 3 but they were all a total PITA! Not a breed i would be drawn to even though i love the stamp of them.

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
I used to help exercise a 17hh CB x TB. Very similar to the one in the add. He was a lovely tempered horse and a nice ride. He could jump but as he was only hunted no idea how well. I only hacked him. We did have some doubts about his soundness. Inclined to be pottery on the road and happier on grass. Not sure how true it was but back then, 20 odd years ago, I heard a lot of secondhand stories about them being prone to navicular. Don't know what happened to him as he was sold on.