Tell me about Irish Draughts!

peapod

Visit site
Would anyone with a good knowledge of Irish Draughts please PM me? Have seen one I very much like, but, knowing little about ID's, I would love some info/advice!

Anyone got any experiences with ID's that they'd like to share also - what are they like temperament/movement/ability etc?

Thanks,

Laura
smile.gif

_jetset_

Visit site
A lady who used to be on our yard has a lovely 17.2hh dapple grey Irish Draught. He is very nice and not as laid back as you would expect. He has lovely paces and is quick off the leg... he seems to learn very quickly!

Why don't you have a look at the Irish Draught Horse Society website, there is quite a bit of info about them on there.

Skhosu

Visit site
hey, we've had two id's, one full and one half.
Both were mares and needed reasonable firm handling, but good strong horses!
The full bred had an old injury, absoloutely stunning mare nice enough temperment, and has gone on to be a broodmare.
The halfbred is currently competing at 3"3 with a 17yr old boy, and very succesful.
Basically, they're nice horses although form my limited experience I would say not a simple horse, in terms of needing to be told where the boundaries are etc.

seaofdreams

Visit site
I have a half bred, she is a wonderfull mare (she is by Seacrest)
we compete Bsja (newcomer level) and i have just started doing some x-c (she has never done it before) and she is so honest so im hopeing to BE her next yr
her sire who is a RID was a grade A show jumper and he also has twenty five progeny eventing and show jumping at international level, including Cruising tenth in the world and the third leading stallion.

brightmount

Visit site
I have two Irish Sports horses that are TB x ID. The ID is the solid sensible blood to counterbalance the thoroughbred and give the breed more substance. IDs generally have good hooves - one of mine has typical ID hooves and the other has TB hooves but unusually good ones.

I did once have an ID vetted for purchase however, and the vet found a lot of melanomas around the glands. The horse had also suffered colic which can result from internal melanomas, so if it is a grey, do make sure you have a full vetting.

spooks

Visit site
we have an ID x, fantastic temprament, manners, cant fault him for them but as said above he needs to be told where the boundaries are! he will argue a little then give up as soon as he starts! very good at jumping loves xc even though he has hardly done it hes yet to refuse a xc jump, if your not paying attention when he is sj , ie if you havnt got your legs on, he might try a run out.. id definately get another ID if i ever needed another horse

merlins-mum

community.webshots.com
I have an ID cross and he's great. Well up to weight carrying (thankfully) jumps like a stag, fast on the gallops, and good mannered enough for my daughter who has been riding him unaccompanied since she was 12.
Not a kickalong, and bags of personality.

Unfortunately mine was at a trekking centre in a previous life, so has NO mouth at all and doesn't really enjoy going round in circles in the school. Having said that, though, I've been really working him in the school this year and he is a very quick learner.

There's a full ID on the yard as well, who is much the same in temperament and going, but heaps better schooled! a VERY flashy horse.

I'd have another one like a shot.

Hornby

Visit site
I love them - they have sense and will look after you (well, look after themselves and as long as you don't topple off - you too). I have a (probably) full ID (now retired) who likes what he likes and was great at it (hunting, endurance) but hated school work (after some time in a riding school and showing). If you did what he liked he was the best horse there - totally bombproof and I could hunt him over any country. I remember galloping with 2 others up Knott End beach, one horse was bucking continously and the other was bolting for the Lake District and I was wondering "is my stirrup leather rubbing my leg" (!) I knew I was safe! My mare is ID X TB and so sharper and more forward going - but the result is that you can hack for hours with no effort at all and her mouth is like silk. Now that she trusts me, she will do what ever I ask (Trec earlier this year, sniffing a stuffed giraffe last w/e). Although she can be a drama queen about new things (eg clipping ) she doesn't have a plan B - one pull back to the end of the string and then she gives in and lets you get on with it. I would definitely get another.

flynn

Visit site
I had a IDxTB and he was lovely in the stable and doted on me( follow me, canter 2 me etc) he moved lovely but unfortunatly he bolted i think this was the TB so dont be put off but lovely otherwise would highly recomend

Nari

Visit site
I've got a purebred ID - he's a very loving, kind horse but definately not for a novice or nervous rider/handler!

They vary a lot depending on the bloodlines - I've known some that are so quiet that anyone could safely ride them but there are a few that are seriously sharp & they are BIG horses if you get one like that!

Mine is 8 so still fairly young, he only really seemed to finish growing & filling out last autumn. He's a quick learner that tries his best to please but heaven help the rider who he feels is heavy handed or unfair - he can retaliate in a spectacular fashion! His paces are good for a big heavy horse. he's light on his feet & covers a surprising amount of ground. He can be incredibly strong if he gets excited, but normally is light & easy to ride. I don't jump him much because he's a little too bold for my liking but he has plenty of scope & I live in hope of finding a brave capable rider who would like to. He has a hell of a buck in him & this has caused problems in the past.

I grew up around them & they really are cracking horses if you get the right one. The purebreds can do a lot more than people expect & although I sometimes think the xTB can be easier - less opinionated & less powerful - I would always go for a purebred myself. If you've got any questions feel free to PM me, I'm not promising I can help but I'll try!

JaneMBE

Visit site
My new lad is full ID. He is wonderful!
His temperament is super, he loves fussess and attention. Gets on with the other horses (follows them like a lamb).

He has lovely movements, forward going but not stupid.
He is 7 and although young, wants to please.
We have put complete novice (ie, first time on a horse) on him to learn and he is execellent. Being so young, the only thing that worries him is a scared rider, if you flap the reins he panics. (Poor Joe came a cropper on him, but it was funny to watch!)

Spud is a super horse and I would buy another
smile.gif

rema

Visit site
I have a ID x.His grand sire is Silver Jasper.My boy is a dope on a rope.A good strong sturdy boy with feet like dinnerplates.He is very good natured,honest and tries anything you ask of him if you ask nicely if not he will sulk (this is as nasty as he gets) he will stop dead and swish his tail untill you ask nicely.I would never never have another breed other than ID or ID x.
grin.gif

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
We have been breeding ID crosses for twenty years now. In that time we have used Happy Ending, Tullough Hero, Silver Bertie (Silver Jasper) and our own stallion who is part ID.
They are very much individuals and some bloodlines are just not suitable as happy hacking horses. Silver jasper bloodlines (above) seems to produce nice sensible horses like Hero who we sold earlier this year. other bloodlines like the Cruising ones have fantastic jumping ability but are sharp and don't tolerate muppets.
In general you're getting proven bloodlines, good feet and bone and a nice temperament. they have fallen out of favour now with eventing folk as they often don't have the speed of the TB, so a good combination seems to be 1/6th ID to TB.
As a horse for a one horse owner they are excellent, just beware which bloodline you choose..

spaniel

Visit site
We have recently bought a pure ID 7 year old and they do need to be told where the boundarys are, they are quick to learn and very loving but you do need to be firm with them.

peapod

Visit site
Thank you so much everyone!!

I went up to the ID breed show today with my mum and sister - my mother has come home with a Yearling Filly to be a broodmare! She is by On a High and out of a Lennox mare (I think!). Her lines go back to Parnell and Touch of the Blues anyway
grin.gif
I'll put some pics of her up later!! I'm still looking for mine though!

Pidge

Visit site
Pidge is an ISH, and previous horse was half ID. In fact after losing him to GS I specifically wanted my new horse to have some ID in him. Gone are my teenage years of riding nutters, I just want a nice horse who I can enjoy without any hassle and thats what I've had/got
grin.gif
My opinion is that they have a laid back attitude to life, which means they go past anything on the road. Very affectionate, into everything like a small child! but in a nice way. Love em to bits